MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the quandary, looking to buy a Brutale, got 2 locally to me, first one is a 920 with 3k on the clocks on on a 61 plate £7650 price to change £1300, second is a 990R on a 10 plate 2k on the clocks on a 10 plate £6995 price to change £2500
I will be moving from a 13 plate street triple R, a long story means I can get a good trade in price against the 920.
I need a reliable bike to get to work every morning so it will be getting used to commute as well as a few fun blasts and it would rack up about 8-10000 miles a year all being well.
I guess I'm asking for a bit of advice from the knowledge base as to what to buy really, I don't really want to be fighting a beast with the 990r (not had a test ride yet) every morning especially in the great British winter commute, I have rode the 920 and did think I could quite easily just bimble about on one when I didn't want to thrash it, and the commute would be ok, although I did think it was kind of vibey through the bars and pegs (anyway to sort this?) but I much prefer the 990r for looks, colour and its a bit better spec I think.
If anyone has read this far then thank you and if you have any advice you could pass on it would be appreciated.

Cheers guys/gals

·
Registered
837 Posts
Can you afford the £2500 comfortably for the 990? If you can buy the 920 and a cheap shi**er to run through the winter and avoid subjecting an MV to such foul and cruel conditions. Your residual value and Brutale enjoyment will thank you in the long run ......

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I can afford the £2500 without breaking the bank, storage space in the garage is sadly lacking though and not sure I could get another stablemate for the winter as I have thought about that

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
From what I hear the hardware on the MV's does not hold up well in crappy climates, many bolts are left uncoated.

That being said, my 990 could not be any easier to ride. Happily motors along at 35mph in 6th gear, easy to maneuver in traffic. Never rode the 920. Not even sure the difference between the two bikes.

·
Registered
876 Posts
When MV's have a problem they tend to be difficult to sort out. I wouldn't want to count on getting to work with it. Finding a way to work while it's down could be weeks rather than days. Not trying to rag on them, it's the finest motorcycle I've owned. It's not really a commuter though.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Buy a 910R......

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Buy a 910R......
And can I ask why not buy a 920 or 990, and why you suggest a 910R?
Sure, 910R is probably the best Brutale apart from the Special Editions. The 920 and 990 are not as well finished, budget Brutales by comparison
I've said it before....,and I'll say it again.
Get the Brutale 1078rr.....,It is the 'Daddy'!
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/bikereviews/searchresults/bike-reviews/mv2/mv-agusta-brutale-1078rr/
Brian.:)

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
The various 750 Bruties, while very pretty in their own right, and built to a very high quality standard, are no comparison in performance with the 910's and 1078's. The 910R is arguably the prettiest of the first gen Bruties. The 1078 is the ugly younger brother dosed up on steroids. My 910R has the full titanium exhaust minus the catalytic converter, plus a very special Ed Eskew magic tune, and is likely as strong as a stock 1078......while looking better. :naughty:

Kidding aside, there's as many opinions as people on this forum, but many of us feel that the first gen Bruties are waaaay better looking, and built less to a price than second gen bikes. Compare frame welds between first gen and second gen Bruties (and F4's as well) and you'll see a noticeable difference. Also, look at paint quality. Again, a noticeable difference.

There's certainly no doubt that the second gen Bruties are fine bikes, but it's like comparing a Ferrari 275GTB and a Ferrari 365GTB Daytona. The Daytona has the performance edge all over the 275, but the market values 275's at $1.0M plus while valuing Daytonas at half that. Why? Most people think the 275 is prettier. I'm betting that 15-20 years from now, first gen Bruties will bring strong, strong money, whereas second gen Bruties will not be as desired in the market. MV made their modern reputation on the first F4 and Brutale.....the second generation of both won't match the market demand of the first generations. That's my opinion, and it's worth exactly what you're paying for it.

When looking at a motorcycle to buy, the only factors that matter are those that matter to you. Remember, there's ALWAYS a faster, better handling bike out here. If not now, wait a couple of months.

For me, I'm interested in the total package......looks, build quality, looks, performance, looks, value, looks, reliability, looks, serviceability.......and looks. :)

Randarosa Rule #1: Life's too short to drive an ugly car, ride an ugly motorcycle, or marry an ugly woman. :naughty:

·
Registered
17,189 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Compare frame welds between first gen and second gen Bruties (and F4's as well) and you'll see a noticeable difference.
No you won’t, this myth constantly rears its head on this forum, the truth is that the MY10 990R and 1090RR (generally accepted as the start of the second generation MV’s) both have CroMo hand welded frames just like the earlier models. Forgive me if I’m a year out but I believe that remained the case till MY13. The 920 being the exception but as most people know that was MV’s attempt at introducing an entry level model.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree! when i was buying my 2011 RR they were selling 1078 RR for $3000 cheaper and i certainly had a close look at the build quality and could find no difference except for newer frame design,longer swing arm the same brakes and suspension,in my opinion side by side the 1090RR was the better looking bike proportionally, smoother to ride without deminishing the engine character and at 13000k with recent rear ride height adjustment is better than ever with improved steering and balance,i wish i had done it earlier and with that stonking engine on fresh oil and plugs is a hoot! Steve

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
No you won’t
Let's don't start an internet pissing contest here. Your opinion versus my opinion. Whose right? Let's say you are......just for the sake of civility. I didn't place any value on my opinions, nor do I place any value on yours.....

That being said, you neglected to comment on the remaining 95% of my points......

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I agree! when i was buying my 2011 RR they were selling 1078 RR for $3000 cheaper and i certainly had a close look at the build quality and could find no difference except for newer frame design,longer swing arm the same brakes and suspension,in my opinion side by side the 1090RR was the better looking bike proportionally, smoother to ride without deminishing the engine character and at 13000k with recent rear ride height adjustment is better than ever with improved steering and balance,i wish i had done it earlier and with that stonking engine on fresh oil and plugs is a hoot! Steve
Ok, so you're the guy that traded your 275 for a Daytona.......it's a very good thing that many disagree with me on this point. If everyone agreed with us, MV would be in serious trouble. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

·
Registered
77 Posts
As the saying goes over here Randy, Each to there own,on the subject of 275 V 365, one quiet night in early 76 a mate and i were flatout on his Kawa 900 and were overtaken by a guy wearing a Dearstalker cap in a Daytona and the sound of that Ferrari at full cry is still one of the most evocative motoring sounds in real life i've ever heard,Agostini on the last of the MV 500 fours at about 15000 rpm got close to the banshee scream of the Ferrari, and the guy who owned it also had a 275 GTB we found out afterward,poor bastard.Cheers Steve. I'd put a smiley face up to lighten things up but i can't get the bloody thing to work Ha Ha

·
Registered
181 Posts
Randy
I didn’t comment on the rest of your points because as you say it’s about opinion and I wouldn’t dream of dissing yours. But when it comes to the frame it’s a fact that a lot of second generation frames use the same materials and construction techniques as the earlier version. Rightly or wrongly my point wasn’t directed solely at yourself as I said the point about the frames is brought up quite often and people are of the opinion all second generation frames are carbon steel machine welded that is not the case.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Brian would be quite happy to own a Daytona......:stickpoke
Well as I drive a Mazda..........,a Daytona???????!!! YES please!

In any case WHAT is ugly about my Brutale 1078rr? ..., it is the pininicle of development of the first generation Brutales.....,has all the 'bells and whistles.....,and it is in classic MV Agusta Red and Silver.:mouthwate

Did you read the link I posted?:)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts