MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a thread kind of spinning of the "evolution" thread. people have been adding where they would like to see the F4 go in the future in terms of evolving. but presenting engineering challenges, you have to lose some things to gain some things.

so in other words, would you be willing to lose the aesthetics of the organ exhaust to gain weight? or even xtra power? how about losing the swingarm to a conventional one for weight/strength? anything else i'm missing? triumph tried to better their issue in '02 by upping the motor power and ditching the swingarm for a conventional one for their daytona. only to be hounded so much that they had to go back to the single sided one the next year.

what say ye?

·
Registered
673 Posts
If I could say one thing to MV, it would be, "Change whatever you want, but don't let it show."
The bike is beautiful. Let them improve weight/performance/etc, but don't let me see it.

Unless they truly evolve the looks of the bike. I've always loved that concept f4 sketch that floats around every now and then. A little mroe aggressive, but maybe slightly too japanese.

·
Living the Dream
2,755 Posts
I would have to say that is a great question first off. in terms of things i wouldn't want MV to give up is what i think represents MV from the first time i ever saw one. Keep the swingarm (they are one of the few who still have it, if not the only, and we are talking non-naked bikes) and the organ pipe exhaust. yes a lot of other manufatures are going with the underseat exhaust, but to me it is iconic for MV to have those 4 pipes singing from underneith your roasting ass! i definatly think they could do some changes to the exhaust to cut down weight b/c those stock ones are heavy, but i know it could be done. the concept drawing does look pretty hot, but the sharp edges do remind me of a jap bike. i would be ok with some sublte changes to the outward apprearance if they could keep the swingarm and the exhaust. just my 2 cents. Style you definatly surprise me with this deep thinking questions :smoking:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
duhhh, who me? :nerd: :crazyeyes

ok. so to keep the swingarm but lose weight, they could make it out of titanium, but OH, the price just raised 7K!! would you still take it?

guess you can't please everybody. especially fickle MV enthusiasts who expect the best of everything but then don't want to spend the money to get it. ie. veltro (uhh, that would be me) :laughing:

guess this thread has left people speechless. kinda hard huh? no wonder MV hasn't changed since '99.:D

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
i think the sss is fair game, but they have to keep it as an option. like ducati.

truthfully, double side is lighter and better for handling. but the sss wins on aesthetics.

·
Registered
257 Posts
For me extra power is not necesary. I can't use all the power it has at the moment.

For me a good evolution would be:

-to keep the bike as powerfull as it is, but with less fuell consumption.

-nice mirrors where your can actually see what is behind you instead of your arms. I'm shure Mr. Tamburini can design useable mirrors.

-a more realistic turning angle, so you can actually turn around in a european road.

The extra weight compaired to japanese sportbikes is no problem for me. While riding, you don't feel it.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I would not want to see MV sacrafice aesthetics for any performance gains...they already have a bike that out handles the rest and as Peet said it already has enough power. The beauty of this bike goes beyond it's specs and should stay that way.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Wow. This is a hard one! I just can't think off anything I'm willing to part with. Damn- I didn't realize how much I love this machine, the way it is, until just now. Weight-reduction would probably be the only thing on my list. "I love her just the way she is", but "she'd be leaner and meaner minus 40 puonds".

·
Registered
259 Posts
Great question. Funny, we never think about trade-offs; we just ask for more and more.

I'd trade the exhaust. GASP! Really. You asked, as an example. I'll bite.

Okay, it's beautiful, but I'd trade away some weight for a little more flickability. Anyone for the Moto GP style through-seat exhaust? Not just because it's what's trendy now, but for a straight line from the exhaust valve through the seat and out to the atmosphere? Maybe a 4-hole version that's sculpted in the seat to remind us of the current version?

Would also trade away the casette gearbox --a great feature, but one I'm afraid I'll never be able to fully utilize.

And I'd gladly trade away Reopropf. Hell, I'll throw in half his salary and a player to be named later.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
I can trade almost anything*, the sculpted single sided swingarm, trellis frame, underseat quad pipes, headlight... because those are just details.

*the only thing that I am not willing to trade is its stunning beauty and its title being the most beautiful sportsbike.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
it seems the tradeoff is where the problem lies. i personally wouldn't want anything to change really. but if i HAD to pick, then i would sacrifice styling for function in the headlight area (which HID's solved), or mirrors, which i just don't use that much. i think the heaviest piece on there is the swingarm, and i wouldn't want that to go, so i guess i could just buy the Mg one, or get the full ti exhaust. :eek:

i guess they've already done it with the newer models. better components and more power without compromise to style...save paint schemes for purists. i only weigh 165lbs so weight is not an issue for me that much. in terms of flickability, i guess i would have to give up that fat 190rear look for a 180rear. that may give me all the flick i need.

bottom line...i guess i have to lose more wallet weight to gain more MV!! :laughing:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
kamranmarashi said:
Slimmer waist line and a different style of head light :later:

Is that you or the F4 Kamran? :laughing:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'd part with the logos. This bike is such a thing of beauty and I can't help but feel that it gets dragged down just a little by the logo, it's placement, and colors used. I'm sure I'll set off some purists with this comment but I need to be honest. The MV logo looks like a first year design student created it in Corel Draw circa 1984. It needs to evolve. My F4 has the same logo repeated all over the place (under the clearcoat and unable to be removed). My vote would be for one updated simplistic logo on each side and the sexy as hell Italian bage. Less is more...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tamburini believes in evolution, not revolution (see what he said about the 999), so I imagine any changes will be almost purely functional - lose of weight, more hp (think Veltro), however the small numbers involved in production (compared to Japanese bikes) make the use of exotic materals expensive per unit. I think we might see a flow through of the technology used in the top of line models like the Tambo become available on the base models. Stylewise we're likely to see more paint schemes and limited editions. Perhaps the best clues to what comes next is what happens with the race bikes.

I'd be willing to lose the sore wrists and neck after long rides. I don't really need more power, I just need to ride faster.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts