MV Agusta Forum banner

What would happen if...?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  giomanach 
#1 ·
I know I'm going to write one of the most stupid posts ever, but I rather write it than do it.

Ok, here I go...what would happen if I pass a long drill bit to the original muffles...from the end hole to the interior of the mufflers...opening whatever it's on drill bit's way? Do you get the idea?

I just wonder if this would be a way to give the original exhausts a deeper, stonger and better sound...you guys are free to call me crazy :) :rant: :bash: :eek: :silly:

I saw a post around about someone triying to modifie an original exhaust...cutting, welding, breaking...and I think he finally ruin the mufflers...

What do you think about the "diabolic idea" :devilsmok

#2 ·
Not a crazy idea at all.
I would take one muffler off and check to see if the drill actually came through.
Some bikes have more than one baffle, or an inticate system that has many ports. I would drill a small one first then go bigger.

Be the beta tester for us. :nerd:

#3 ·
I will... but I need some ideas before I ruin the mufflers...for example, if I finally get a decent sound, what about the engine compression? I mean, I'll probably get the damn flat spots on low rpm. You think I'll be able to get it right with a power comander on a dyno?

Please, say all the problems (and solutions) you think will appear before, during and after the "surgery".

#4 ·
There's nothing "in the way" rather, it's the internal routing of piping.
http://home.nycap.rr.com/ghlbo/index.html

99% of bikes have thier mufflers set-up like that...

The promlem with our bikes is that the stuff is welded, rather than riveted, so we have a "slightly" bigger hurdle to overcome...

#5 ·
As a former Harley owner, I will till you that drilling out stock pipes is a common practice. However, I have found the results to be less than optimum. I think you are taking a chance that the sound may be either too loud or not what you really want. Personally, I would replace just the midpipe first to see if you like that sound first and then maybe go for an after market, either Arrow or MV, on the silencers if you want louder. Unless you are racing, I would think a midpipe replacement might serve you needs better. It may give a more deeper sound instead of a raspy noisey sound from just drilling. Just my opinion.

Lorenzo

#6 ·
Mike Danger was the name of the person who did the surgery on his muflers. It was on the Brutale forum and I think the photos got lost. He clamed the sound was increased but nothing of the flat spot or performance. He sometimes visits this site. The blue and silver Brutale I think he wants red forks :blah: :wtf:

#7 ·
Harley owner here. Drilled out 3 sportster pipes with disappointing results. Much louder and deeper sound than stock but also a bit of high pitched whistling maybe from exhaust rushing past rough edges created by my crap drilling techniques. I ended up replacing the entire pipe with aftermarket each time. Harley aftermarket exhaust is much, much better sound and no whistling. I don't have an mv yet and I'm not familiar with mv aftermarket, so I don't know what your options are, but I think I'd go with aftermarket for better sound.

Is the cat in the midpipe? If that can be swapped out, that's probably the route I'd take.

#8 ·
The thing is that I already have the Arrows midpipe and mufflers (without db killer)...sound is great :drummer: but I still like better the look of the originals (they are just perfect for the bike)...I want to keep the arrows midpipe and use the original mufflers...I have a friend that has this combination but the sound is not even close to what I want (specially after you hear the Arrows "simphony")...so I wonder if drilling the originals would give that Arrows sound with the MV original look :guitarist

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.