MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last February my bike was up for oil, hydraulic service and chain sprocket replacement.
So I opted to get a quick sprocket change kit for my F4.
After all I got the AEM kit.
The kit and all the other service things were done at a official dealership.
After my first ride in February I found that the chain was to tight and dust like metal shavings on the swing arm and the rim.
My first thought was sh... the rear hub is gone.
But the wheel was not wiggling or loose by any means.
So I adjusted the chain and thought I will keep an eye on it.
So now in June I was home again and rode about 700 miles.
On the last Day before I had to take off to my job overseas I found a metal piece laying on my rim.
And than my attention was drawn to the sprocket carrier.
There were holes ground to the back and shavings were visible.
Afte advise from the Kit supplier I removed the sprocket carrier.
To found what You see on the photos.
Dealership and Supplier are friendly and cooperative in this case.
No bad feelings here and I don't want to trough mud at any one.
So what went wrong ?
I'm to 95% convinced that the original spacer 800084896 is to small for the quick change flange.
The larger diameter spacer 8000A3252 of the 1000cc models is likely to be needed to avoid this damage to be happen.
Now that I'm still alive and didn't tumbled over the interstate is a wonder.
Sure it needs a new hub, sprocket carrier and sprocket.
Any one of You have an idea or an advise how to fix it or to avoid such disaster ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hi Ralf,
must say I have never seen that before, clearly it's not good but Looking at the photos the hub may be ok, can't really see too much damage. There is a thick spacer washer that should be in there to give the sprocket carrier clearance. I have a quick release carrier on mine which I got from TALON and that is fine and done many thousands of miles without issue. Pull the hub, give it all a good clean and inspection and take it from there. Good luck.
jimboF4

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Not what you want to see after breakfast for sure.. Sprocket carrier was touching the hub unit....

Is the hub unit a pre 2010 type ?

I have just looked at my sprocket set up and there is approx 3.5 mm gap between carrier and hub face. I have also noticed your carrier is hanging off the rubbers as they have been pushed through it appears..

This is an excellent post btw and very useful to guys who are fitting a quick change sprocket kit to their bike.

joe

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
Hi Ralf,
must say I have never seen that before, clearly it's not good but Looking at the photos the hub may be ok, can't really see too much damage. There is a thick spacer washer that should be in there to give the sprocket carrier clearance. I have a quick release carrier on mine which I got from TALON and that is fine and done many thousands of miles without issue. Pull the hub, give it all a good clean and inspection and take it from there. Good luck.
jimboF4
How can you say the hub may be OK,sorry mate it's stuffed.The sprocket carrier has machined away the hub due to zero clearance.The spacer has been fitted,I can see it in the photo.Haupti,you said a dealership did the conversion,they are responsible for this failure by not checking clearances when fitting the aftermarket sprocket carrier.There is a lot of damage caused by the shops negligence.:jsm:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Read What I Said

How can you say the hub may be OK,sorry mate it's stuffed.The sprocket carrier has machined away the hub due to zero clearance.The spacer has been fitted,I can see it in the photo.Haupti,you said a dealership did the conversion,they are responsible for this failure by not checking clearances when fitting the aftermarket sprocket carrier.There is a lot of damage caused by the shops negligence.:jsm:
Mitch, I said clean and inspect and take if from there, simples.
jimboF4

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
You said I can't see much damage. I can see a lot of damage.How is he going to adjust the chain in the future with the segments machined down like that and some actually missing?

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Thanks for sharing Ralf!

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
You may be correct about the spacer, Ralf. I never measured the thicknesses of them but they are different part numbers.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not what you want to see after breakfast for sure.. Sprocket carrier was touching the hub unit....

Is the hub unit a pre 2010 type ?

I have just looked at my sprocket set up and there is approx 3.5 mm gap between carrier and hub face. I have also noticed your carrier is hanging off the rubbers as they have been pushed through it appears..

This is an excellent post btw and very useful to guys who are fitting a quick change sprocket kit to their bike.

joe
Its a pre 2010 hub, actually I think the OEM 2001 hub, but it has nothing to do with bearings and such. So it really doesn't matter. A 2010+ hub would look the same, Joe.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You may be correct about the spacer, Ralf. I never measured the thicknesses of them but they are different part numbers.
Carl do You have accidentally such a 8000A3252 spacer.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
This is a bit confusing to me. that axle would have to have a lot of lateral movement, or was it just the carrier moving. It looks like the carrier moving to me, which means the washer is wrong.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Its a pre 2010 hub, actually I think the OEM 2001 hub, but it has nothing to do with bearings and such. So it really doesn't matter. A 2010+ hub would look the same, Joe.
Yep, I'm with you Ralf..I was wondering about the spacer arrangement as there is a different spacer for the 2010 hub to 2009 and prev.

Most importantly..I'm glad you are ok ..

joe

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is a bit confusing to me. that axle would have to have a lot of lateral movement, or was it just the carrier moving. It looks like the carrier moving to me, which means the washer is wrong.
Dons You observed it right.
It was the carrier moving, the wheel, axle and nuts where all tight and play free.
I know that the 2010+ hub is different, but not on the drive side.
I have a brand spanking new one with axle laying in my garage.

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
doh

wrong spacer......

correct dimensions 50x76x2, got one here on my desk
it keeps the carrier from moving right.....look at the chain wear on the right side of the sprocket:jerkoff:

another case of why i do my own work

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, I'm with you Ralf..I was wondering about the spacer arrangement as there is a different spacer for the 2010 hub to 2009 and prev.

Most importantly..I'm glad you are ok ..

joe
Joe, right the 2010+ bikes have with 8000B2150 a different spacer, but their sprocket carrier is different in addition.
The 2005 to 2009 F4 1000S,..., likely Brutale, with the quick change sprocket flange have the larger diameter 8000A3252 spacer.
Yeah and the F4 750 has originally the spacer 800084896.
My knowledge here is only based on the parts catalogues.

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
The spacer on the pre 2010 hubs is flat,like a big washer that sits against the inner ring for the needle bearing.The Y10 spacer is stepped and sits in the outer seal and against the inner ring also.The spacers are not interchangeable between the 2 designed hubs.I really feel the carrier is the problem in this case.If Ralf can slide the spacer off and give us a photo of the end of the hub and the spacer it would help.

·
Registered
842 Posts
One question for a newbie ...... Why swap the sprocket carrier for a "quick-change" one, when the existing looks to be quick change anyway? On my '05 F4 1000s, it looks like all I have to do is undo the sprocket nuts and the sprocket just slides straight off?

1 - 20 of 103 Posts