MV Agusta Forum banner

What TVL Turn Signals Look Like After 9K Miles

4K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  Phil in Oz 
#1 ·
Decided to open up a pair of 2019 TVL SCS rear turn signals. Working at 4K miles, died at 6K miles, opened at 12K miles. Dealer here in So. Cal. would not honor a 6 year warranty on them.

First of all and in order tonget into them, you have to bust off the lens. There's a design problem. What I found was shocking! What is all that crap? It appeared to be brake pad dust. It was magnetic. No wonder the damn things failed. Seriously? This is how a $23K motorcycle gets built? The BMW guys (yes, I shared it) are having a chuckle about this one.

The last picture is a signal with some of the crap wiped off. Can't wait to take the front ones apart when they fail.
Bicycle part Tool Carbon Wire stripper Kitchen utensil
Wood Triangle Tints and shades Musical instrument Wing
Wood Tool Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire
Tool Bicycle part Wood Kitchen utensil Knife
Hand Eyewear Tool Finger Engineering
Wood Electric blue Metal Auto part Fashion accessory

See less See more
#3 ·
Yup that's VERY common. (that's in no way condoning the fault but just giving you a frame of reference) Mine looked the same. I changed them out for different sealed indicators that they use on semi trucks that are made for ALL WEATHER CONDITIONS lol

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Could I place my bet on that being the Right Hand Side turn signal?

That is probably exhaust fumes and not brake dust. Firstly, you probably don't use the rear brake that much and secondly pads are organic and non-magnetic.

Engine exhaust, however, contains microparticles from engine wear and other crap. Much finer particles too.

That anything gets into the housing is a problem. I believe there is a drain hole on the lens bottom for water egress.

Is one side worse than the other?

Reactions: db_509
#5 ·
Just hate to shoot down your reasonably constructed theory however....the pictures are both rear turn signals. They were equally nasty. And yes, I do use my rear brake frequently. I find it quite useful for the twisties. And finally, I did not find any drain holes whatsoever.
I have ordered an alternative replacement set from a third party vendor. I let the dealer off the hook for any warranty claim however he wasn't inclined to warranty them anyway.

#14 ·
I let the dealer off the hook for any warranty claim however he wasn't inclined to warranty them anyway.
This is a really sad statement about that dealer.....who is it? That dealer does not deserve anyone's business and should lose their franchise.

Reactions: Fastspy
#6 ·
Damn. Thought I was onto something.
What is your theory on how that nastiness got in there?
Also, kudos for being a rear-brake user. So many are not.

#7 ·
When the lighrs were removed, both of the wire assemblies came loose from inside. There is a rubber grommet in the assembly where the wire exits. I found corrosion inside on the soldered connections. The wiring is installed with no drip loop. I am guessing that water combined with road, exhaust, and brake pad grime got in there. I do ride in the rain quite a bit.

It is just an awful design. It would be so simple for MV Agusta to re-design this cheap-ass LED to work effectively.

#8 ·
Interesting and plausible theory.

Are you going to affect a repair, or just replace with something else?

#11 ·
Decided to open up a pair of 2019 TVL SCS rear turn signals. Working at 4K miles, died at 6K miles, opened at 12K miles. Dealer here in So. Cal. would not honor a 6 year warranty on them.

First of all and in order tonget into them, you have to bust off the lens. There's a design problem. What I found was shocking! What is all that crap? It appeared to be brake pad dust. It was magnetic. No wonder the damn things failed. Seriously? This is how a $23K motorcycle gets built? The BMW guys (yes, I shared it) are having a chuckle about this one.

The last picture is a signal with some of the crap wiped off. Can't wait to take the front ones apart when they fail.
View attachment 487647 View attachment 487648 View attachment 487649 View attachment 487650 View attachment 487651 View attachment 487652
It is certainly perplexing the thinking , or lack of, that went into these turn signals.
The fronts are about as complex in their construction as the rears are , and as difficult to get apart to repair.
The are glued together , so no amount of heat will get them apart. I used a very thin disposable blade and cut along the join of the black plastic backing and the front clear lens. It's not for the faint of heart as they can break easily, especially getting into the corners. Maybe a dremel would work better to do the cutting and then a clear silicon to glue it back together after the repair.

I bought 12 of these led's for about $20 , enlarged the mounting holes of the plastic chrome mounting plate of the originals and siliconed in the new ones once the backing and front lens was taken off.

#15 ·
I live in Western Australia. Normally no rain but had wettest July for last 20 years.
Mine's a 2019 TVL RC SDS and I had both rear indicators replaced under warranty as LEDs partly failed in rears.
One of my replacements, the right, has condensation inside. I'm deducing therefore that moisture is getting in and mine will look like yours soon. I've lodged another warranty.
Of note is the newer models have different rear indicators. I wonder if the new ones are any better.

#16 ·
My “21 TV RC was delivered to me new with an already failed left rear directional. That was six weeks ago, still waiting for the replacement (under warranty). HOWEVER, everything else on the bike has performed flawlessly, with >2000 miles, half of them commuting in stop&go traffic, with air temps 93-100F. I’m keeping my 20yr old BMW for when the MV is down (inevitable?) for repair, but so far the bike has performed exceedingly well around town and across 5 state lines.

#21 ·
Other than the pair of lights and the license plate kit, no other parts. Everything is included with the kits. The price is about $185 with shipping. Not cheap. Took about 90 minutes to bolt everything together and wire them up. They consume almost 7W apiece so the blink rate is quite normal. No load resistors needed.

I notice that my front signals are failing now. That's going to be a much more difficult project.

#26 ·
I purchased a 2019 TVL SCS. It came with a version 1 Rekluse. After 4500 miles, it failed. The version 1 needs to have the basket sleeves replaced every 4500 miles. That was a problem for me because I bought the machine due to 9K service intervals.

It went in for warranty work. The dealer had the bike for 105 days. They tried everything to make the version 1 work. They gave up and installed the version 2. Zero cost to me. At 13K miles it still works fine. Just got it back from service. I have no clue if there is a service interval for the version 2 and apparently there is no updated user manual. Dealer says they just check it every service interval.

Long story short....

#30 ·
I purchased a 2019 TVL SCS. It came with a version 1 Rekluse. After 4500 miles, it failed. The version 1 needs to have the basket sleeves replaced every 4500 miles. That was a problem for me because I bought the machine due to 9K service intervals.

It went in for warranty work. The dealer had the bike for 105 days. They tried everything to make the version 1 work. They gave up and installed the version 2. Zero cost to me. At 13K miles it still works fine. Just got it back from service. I have no clue if there is a service interval for the version 2 and apparently there is no updated user manual. Dealer says they just check it every service interval.

Long story short....
Thanks mate, appreciate it. Mine had done 12500km (7500 miles) when the clutch stopped working as it should. Still using it as a normal clutch while they get the parts, but unimpressed they expect me to pay for the version 2. Think we might be getting Australian Consumer Protection involved.
Hopefully I get the rear turn indicator replaced for the second time more easily.

#29 ·
Yes. There is a splice involved. However, there is plenty of wire to work with. The Denali kit comes with pigtails and pre-made connectors. I cut those wires to size and soldered them to the MV Agusta wires with shrink tubing. I also looped them. Just habit. They need to be tightly secured to the inside of the fender. I used ty-wraps. There isn't much clearance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.