MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I love the looks of the F4, but to be very honest...I've never ridden one, and not sure what to expect.

Right now Im riding a Busa I have customized...heres a short run down list.

# Micron Race Exhaust
# Pair valve removal
# Small air box mod
# Reaper block off plates & gaskets
# PCIII usb
# SportVue MC2
# Scorpio Alarm
# Esccort X-50 Blue LED radar
# Pazzo Black & Gold "Shorty" levers
# EBC HH pads front & rear
# Gafler Carbon braided lines clutch, front, rear w/Gold Aluminum fittings
# Magical Racing Blue Mirror inserts
# Magical Racing carbon fiber windscreenCarbon Fiber Inners
# Carbon fiber Inner's
# Carbon fiber fender
# Carbon fiber nose inserts
# Carbon fiber hugger
# Carbon fiber handlebars
# Carbon Fiber tabk pad
# UFO undertail
# EK ZZZ gold chain
# Carrozzeria Stage 1 gold wheels
# Carrozzeria Performance Wheel Bearings
# Driven USA 42T steel rear sprocket
# Michelin Power Pilot 190/120
# 6k HID
# Icemann Yellow high-beam
# Front & Rear blinker LED's
# Molded Aluminum fairing screens black
# Powder Coating done by "Vic" , passenger mounts with custom cutting, grab-bar, rear master cylinder, fairing bolts, and numerous other piece's
# Schnitz Racing +1" Rising links
# Ram Air system modified
# Pro-Bolt Gold Aluminum tank kit
# Pro-Bolt Gold Aluminum sprocket nuts
# TechMounts Gold Doble Stem Stand
# Gilles Adjustable Rearsets
# Gilles Chain Adjusters
# Gilles Swing-Arm Lifters
# LP Gold & CF Bar-ends
# Muzzy Aluminum fan
# Woodcraft cover
# LP carbon fiber frame sliders
# Carbon Fiber License plate mount

The Busa is about 60Lbs lighter than stock, and is running about 171 rwhp without Nos...and have not dynoed since adding the web cams but expect about 180 rwhp.

Now, with an F4, how will it perform to my Busa? I built the Busa to turn and accelerate quickly, thus raising the rear, shortening the overall length, loweing the front, and reducing lots of sprung/ unsprung weight.

Will the F4 raise my blood pressure in terms of performance, compared to my BUsa? Spending 20 to 30K on an MV is alot of cash, and would sure hate to only get a nice sound from an F4 but feel as thought performande is lacking compared to my current bike. I will not do track days with the bike, but I do ride aprox 10,000 miles a year, and want a bike that performs as good or better than what I currently ride. Will a stock MV F4 do this for me, or am I looking at having to spend another 10K in aftermarket mods?

Im not purchasing an MV for investment, or just to look at. I want to ride it, and no Im not looking to purchase for poser value...I want a machine that awakens my soul...is the MV for me?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'll give you my personal opinion.. i have NO idea if anyone here would agree with me.. but considering that I dont know you and I only have what you posted to go off of.. i'd say.. don't get an MV. From the extent that you customized your bike and looking at what you did to it.. and the way your posing your question.. my gut says you wouldnt be happy. I have no doubt you love to ride and that youd enjoy an MV but it sounds like you would be more happy with something that you can invest more in the customizing than the initial purchase price. Thats my 2-cents.

·
Registered
266 Posts
F4 or Frankenstien???

:) The MV is for the performance/style purist! One doesn't modify to the gills a Lamborghini or a Ferrari..it is what it is - the world's elite. I don't mean to be snobbish, but an MV is light years ahead of a Busa in terms of style, handling, and performance...unspoiled by mods. I've ridden the Busa and YES, it has its' good points...fast! But handles like a wild bore compared to an F4. Performance comparisons are irrelevant. Do you want to do 10 second 1/4 mile runs on a wild bore, or on a Pegasis? Do you want to track canyon roads at warp speed on a gazelle, or a B52? Test ride an MV, the decision will be easy.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snappo said:
:) The MV is for the performance/style purist! One doesn't modify to the gills a Lamborghini or a Ferrari..it is what it is - the world's elite. I don't mean to be snobbish, but an MV is light years ahead of a Busa in terms of style, handling, and performance...unspoiled by mods. I've ridden the Busa and YES, it has its' good points...fast! But handles like a wild bore compared to an F4. Performance comparisons are irrelevant. Do you want to do 10 second 1/4 mile runs on a wild bore, or on a Pegasis? Do you want to track canyon roads at warp speed on a gazelle, or a B52? Test ride an MV, the decision will be easy.:)

Err...Ive seen plent of modded Lambo's and Ferraris, so lets not go there. As far as light years ahead in performance MV to Busa...hmm. A stock Busa is what it is, stock. Now I know this is an MV board, but the Busa can be modded for areas such as the Dragon, and like areas. If you look at my Mods, my Bike is not meant to be a 1/4 mile low 9 second burner. Nope, it is almost as light as a GSXR 1000, with more power and torque. So as far as performance, stock for stock a GSXR K6 1000 would be very comparable to a F4 with equal riders. Anyhow, Im not into the whole Snobbish- Purist thing - I want a bike that excites the soul. But if all Im getting out of an MV F4 is sound compared to a GSXR 1000 K6...well thats a lot of cash to spend.

Now, if the MV give me something the K6 does not, well elaborate a little for me. What does the MV do better, and why? Now as far as looks...yes the MV F4 is, in my opinion...One Sexy work of art. And I love trampy women, with looks on the +10 side of things, however I found they dont make good long term relationship material.

And the Busa as a B-52...lol...I like that comment...origianl to say the least. Now, since you went there, I must ask....do you rotate your pennies from your loafers to your riding boots?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
With the purchase price of the busa plus all of the aftermarket items you have spent on the busa you could have bought an mv with change for some mods :bash: The mods you have done to the busa dont sound cheap not to mention how much time it would have been off the road. You changed the busa to do things it wasnt made to do, with the MV you are buying a bike which will do what you want plus more and to be honest i dont think there are many people who have pushed an MV to its absolute limit. It may not have 180bhp but who uses 180bhp while thay are cornering????? The standard 1000 comes with 166hp and the latest R with 170+. Riding an Mv doesnt mean your a poser, we just have a passion for the greatest motorcycle. People often say to me all bikes are fast and all bikes are the same, but they just havent ridden an Mv or probably havent got the cash to own one, and as before you are buying the Lamborghini of motorcycles, you can do anything you want to the busa of any jap bike for that matter and its still a suzuki or a honda just as the other 20million of them everyone owns. I dont want to come across the wrong way, but go test ride one. If you are worried about spending the money then there is a phrase for one of the guys on this forum he uses as a signature it says One life LIVE IT.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess an MV to me has been more than just a motorcycle. It is a rolling piece of history, and oozes sex appeal. I wish I could test ride one, but with only 1 supplier here in Minneapolis MN...well its not going to happen.

Yah, the whole HP numbers game is a joke. I could care less about Dyno sheets or comparing magazine articles about my bike at the local taco bell. I guess Im at a time in my life where I want to own something original, elite, and not to show up anyone else, but to give myself a gift - one that I will enjoy, for many years to come. Heck Im even thinking a 750 might do it for me, as I dont even need a 1000 - I just want to make a purchase that makes me happy, and one I wont regreat...heck if I want regreats I will purchase a 749 Duc.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Having a bike that handles better does not necessarily mean you have a bike that will inspire confidents to expolit the handling.

For what it's worth, the MV is so far ahead of the recent bikes I've had (748,996, '02 & '04 R1 and a '05 999). I'm sure the 999 and the R1 were as capable as the MV but the feedback just wasn't there. The 748/996 were close but took more effort to throw around.

Let me put it this way, I traded a one year old 999 at a $6K loss because of a test ride on a 999. I was already on the fence about the MV because of the height and the hit I'd take trading in the 999 -but the test ride did it. So, I'd says that would really make my '05 MV around $28,000. Yeah, it's that good.

As far as modifying, sure, there's a lot of carbon parts, lighter wheels, RG3 exhaust, Power Commander, Santo rear sets, etc. that you can do.

·
Registered
593 Posts
if one wonders if an MV is right for them, it isnt. an MV is a love affair at first sight that demands no rationality or deep thinking. it's an unmatched passion, and you just go with it.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
ValiumBusa said:
Now, if the MV give me something the K6 does not,
I dont understand why you spent so much money and mods on a big sports tourer, when you could have got a Gixxer in the first place and achieved roughly the same result?
Anyway, get the K6....you can mod the shit out of it :naughty:

....if you try to justify an MV it will never happen. Just compress the whole process and buy the Suzuki... or keep the Busa. I'm sure there's more mods you can throw at it ??

I'm not sure the MV will give you what your looking for in a motorcycle.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
If that's your short list of mods, I wonder how much money you will have actually spent on the long list. We are all individuals, and as such if you buy an F4 (or any motorcycle for that matter) you can do what the f**k you like with it. Like a few others here, I've ridden a Busa, one with a few trick parts which raised performance on an already quick motorcycle. I think you had better beg, steal or borrow a ride on a F4 before coming to a decision because on the twisties, the F4 (in stock trim) will lose and find your modified Busa no matter how much cash you've spent on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
john said:
the F4 (in stock trim) will lose and find your modified Busa no matter how much cash you've spent on it.

Well, maybe I better go out and find one to try out. I wont buy into the comments that a stock this will beat a modified or stock that - if you have been riding long enough, and you put your pocketbook aside for a moment, you and everyone else who has been riding for 20+ years would know it comes down to the rider rather than the machine.

Money is not the issue here, and I see a lot of the same passions us Busa owners have, as do you MV owners. Sota an elite club, almost cult like, and passions runs deep through our veins. Hey atleast MV hasn't opted out of the AMA series like the pretty Duc's, than again I don't see any MV's racing AMA...I wish I did, but maybe its a money issue.

Anyhow, Like I said - I'm just trying to learn more about the MV, and would like to keep the ego's left out of the conversation. Heck anyone can play internet tough guy by saying my dad can beat up your dad....So what makes the MV so great...obviously such intelligent people riding them should be able to coin the experience for me in less than a few paragraphs....I hope.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
ValiumBusa said:
Well, maybe I better go out and find one to try out. I wont buy into the comments that a stock this will beat a modified or stock that - if you have been riding long enough, and you put your pocketbook aside for a moment, you and everyone else who has been riding for 20+ years would know it comes down to the rider rather than the machine.

Yes: my comments were based on the same rider, riding both machines back to back, I wasn't trying to slag off your Busa or your riding abilities for that matter, but as Velocemoto said, if you are going to spend a shed load of money on performance goodies, it would be prudent to use the best 'platform' available. Be that a F4 or a Gixxer 1000 or Fireblade or R1, whatever you fancy. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like the idea of just looking at the bike...whether it does anything for me. Just like women......a pig is a pig, no matter how good she puts out! MV vs. Hayabusa? No comparison! I hypothesize that you just want to stir some pudding here. Why are you considering an MV but promoting a Busa? Either you really want an MV or you don't. That your concerned with ultimate horsepower numbers vs. just being won over by a bike that has to do nothing but sit in your garage and look beautiful.....there rest is immaterial! You don'y buy an MV to be horsepower/chooch king....... :flamethro

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I think I understand our friends feeling here. He has a great Jap bike. One in which he spend a great deal of time and money on to make it just right. Now he's pretty happy with it. Happy enough to be at least some what loyal to the model, but ultimately it's still a Jap bike and like the loyal husband that has been married for a while, his eyes are beginning to wonder. He's starting to wonder what it would be like to be with a italian mommy.

·
Registered
459 Posts
So what makes the Mv so great, all different things to different people.

You are obviously looking for something ,hence the work on the Busa, or is that just the latest in Busafashion over there?

I can't speak for the 1000 owners but the 750 has a sort of purity about it,its more than the sum of its parts in its abilities to run rings round high horsepower bikes. If you are good enough the bike is more than up for it. They sound good also.
Don,t expect ownership to mirror the jap experience ,no doubt there will be set up issues, crap backup, bullshit advice flying everywhere from guys who haven't used more than 60 of their 160 hp .

If money isnt an issue get out there and buy one and tell us your thoughts ,you can always sell it again.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
VB,

Please take a few minutes to look at my album, the F4R pics posted on this site (mid-ohio vintage days) and comments made in other threads on this forum.

What WE love about our MVs is the soul, artistry of machinery and kickass ability of these cycles to put a grin on our faces, each time we mount these beasts. They do not need alot of mods to make them our own.

You MUST ride one and find out if an F4 is for you. Come east and I will make sure you test ride an F4R.

Goodluck,

Peter, XanaxMV

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
You're right. You really need to find a dealer that has a demo MV and decide if you like it. Unfortunately, the only ones I know with demo 1000s are on the West Coast.

My only concern is that if you get the MV as your only bike, you will have regrets because it's mission is narrow focused It's the most comfortable bike I've ridden (relatively speaking, of course) but I those same ergonomics is what makes the MV handles to well.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
everything you are asking is very subjective. the big questions it seems only you can answer, like what are you LOOKING for? are you looking for a ride to compare to the busa? a totally different motorcycle riding experience? attention from others? just wanting something that is iconic to you? the answers to all of these types of questions will net you your final answer. that and seeing/sitting on/riding one in the flesh.

point being, you may feel the f4 doesn't sound as good as you thought. you may come to HATE the ergos when comparing it to the busa. but you may be able to accept it for what it is and become a track junkie. all of that soul stirring/passion/heritage stuff may be true, but it was each of our INDIVIDUAL souls that got stirred. some have bought MV and got rid of it too for various reasons.

more than likely everything you want to know can be found somewhere in this forum. the answers to the basics. you can get all those answers, buy the bike, ride it for 100miles and hate it....for whatever reason. or you may decide the MV has extinguished your love affair with the busa. especially if you have modded your busa to be as racy as a sportsbike and not the fantastic hyperbike that it is. again, i have to ask what are you looking at MV for? i don't know much about the busa experience or crowd, but did you buy it looking for the fastest most comfortable bike out there? the MV is not that. did you buy it to turn it into a gixxer1000 with a big fat motor in it since you aren't concerned about being a 9sec 1/4mile demon?

i guess, we can try to help but the best answer to your question will be found in your own experience. try it...you may like it. hopefully you would be THRILLED...but maybe not.

that's my 2 pesos anyway.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I purchased my MV sight unseen, I did some looking on MV forums before the purchase and with any make or model there are quirks, but I can tell you that I will never forget the first moment I laid eyes on her when she was unloaded off the truck. The perks of owning an MV far outweigh any minor annoyances that it might pop up. You cant really rationalize the purchase of an exotic, you just live in the moment and go for it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts