MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK....don't flame me for this :rolleyes:....I know there are threads where it has been discussed to death but I'm too lazy to read them all...so here goes:

I am putting the superlight wheels on my SPR 750 track bike and am about to buy some new tires to suit.
Normally I go with what the factory recommends for tire sizes. That means 180 rear and I'm happy enough with that, but wondering if any 750 guys have run 190 rears with good results??? or is it more rubber than I need for a 750?? :confused:

Not discussing profiles...I'll figure out 50 vs 55 and brand differences. And I know I'll be making adjustments for the 70 profile front.

I mean, now they offer 200mm tires ;)!!!! I know that's not where I want to go, but the liter bikes are making so much power now!!!

So what say you experienced 750 riders??? stick with the 180, or spoon on a wider 190 tire???
:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I use 120/70-17 and 190/55-17 on my F4, track and road use.

Dunlops are higher than Pirellis, even though they are same dimenions by the numbers. The thing is, front tire will hit the leading edge of the lower radiator surrounding plastic ( that V piece) under heavy braking. The edge broke on mine and also the radiator mesh that I installed got hit. Radiators are fine though.

Also, some manufacturers don't even offer rear tires in 180 width when it come to racing tires, Dunlop for example. We have a Dunlop GP series here in EU ( I think it's the same tires as Dunlop GP-A in US) that is actually track tire with thread, so it can be used in spec championship, but they only do it in 190 and 200. And front is only 120/70 or higher.

You will probably have to lift it at the rear to compensate higher front.

·
Registered
118 Posts
180 yes.

The 190 will give you a little more patch but make it swing heavyer. The 180 is better for track only. Tire pressure is the real question in the cold. BobL.
PS Will the new Atlanta track open this season?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I once briefly tried a 190/55 Pirelli and didnt like it , it upset, or rather changed the handling and the easy immediate option was to return to the 180 rather than start adjusting my bike again.
The 190 probably is more rubber than you need , the 180's I used to get had allready been tortured with BHP my bike could only dream of and I dont remember ever spinning up the rear, unfortunately......

Happiest I ever felt was on Racetecs but my experience with track tyres stopped 7 years ago and I'm sure things have moved on.

·
Super Moderator
22,622 Posts
....extended swingarm and a 300, it is a Brutale after all.....

·
Super Moderator
22,622 Posts
Carl is right, Ed...if your rim is stock, and designed for a 180, then a 190 will have an altered profile. That will, effectively, make the profile taller and more angular and "tippier" than it needs to be.

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chuck...I'm installing ultralights from a late model so rim width is not an issue....but the even the stock rim width is the same, so 190s will certainly work.....but I think the fatter tire may slow down the steering.....thanks to all for the input.

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
....extended swingarm and a 300, it is a Brutale after all.....
The pain meds got your brain fuzzy Chuck.....I'm talking about the SPR....Gina came with 190/55 standard.

·
Super Moderator
22,622 Posts
Oh, yeah....I certainly wouldn't do that to the SPR!!! I think, Ed, that a 190 won't change your steering speed much at all. Profile/Height changes on the front would have a much more pronounced effect on Tip In...

I think I'd do a profile comparo...in that I'd look to see if the carcass profile is "triangular", "Round", or "elliptical" as these will have a dramatic effect on stabilty and contact patch. Triangular profiles having the least stability, faster tip in, and most contact patch when leaned over.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts