MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, (1st post :eek: ) I wonder if you can help? Im after a getting my 1st 'proper' road bike, Ive had mx bikes (125,250, 500's) and a ZXR 400 but now I have my official road license I want to get a road bike.

I have been told that I should get a 600 to begin with but having fallen in love with the F4 - 750 I was hoping you could give me an honest opinion on whether I should get an MV now or wait until Im more competant

After seeing the bikes on these forums I love the whole look of the bikes(seeing youre bikes :highclap:have made me very jealous and want one more )

I hope you can help and thanks for your time

Lurker

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Welcome and stop being a lurker :toothless

Well, the MV F4 (even the 750) is not a good starter bike, that's for sure.
But you're not exactly a starter as you had bikes before.
It's readdy hard for us to give you advise since we don't know nothing about your bike experience and how confortable you feel riding a sportbike.
Try to get a test drive on an MV or, if that's not possible, get a ride on a modern sportbike, and then make a decision.

Anyway, good luck and hope you make the right decision :friday:

·
Ball & Chain magnet
3,027 Posts
kinda depends if you want to spent the $$ for a exclusive bike. A 600 would be great enough. Todays 600's are really quick and if you like the twisty roads they'll do just fine, and you can still get the top-end rush of speed that we all like. It sounds like you live in the UK.... i am not sure how the insurance is there but i'm sure it is more for a liter bike than a 6oo. but I can say only what i think....and i can't explain why i am telling you to get a 600 over a MV750...... i guess it is because i want a 600 for a tracker :f4:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I went straight from 400's to the F4; I found the riding position very similar to the RVF so I don't think you'll feel too out of place coming from the kwacker.

As long as you're smart enough to realise that you're going to have to take it easy for a few hundred miles until you get used to the extra power, then I think the only problems are the terrible lack of steering lock, and the fact that it is quite a top-heavy bike at a standstill.

Go for it!

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I think I would get a 600 for a few months at least. A F4 isn't a beginners bike but by all means get one when you have a few road miles under your belt. :) Just my humble opinion of course.

·
Registered
268 Posts
A Brutale would suit a motocrosser like you just fine. You'll feel right at home. I would recommend, however, buying a used Monster for $5K or so, see how you like it. You can always flip it in a couple months or a couple years and then get an MV, and you'll have gotten the street basics done.

Even though I ride MX every week sometimes it's the little things on the street that still get me-- a car pulling out, uneven pavement off camber, a hole in the asphalt-- combine all three, and you can have a very expensive tip-over. I even had a Ducati BLOW OVER in the wind in my driveway once. (It was a good 50-60mph gust out of nowhere). No matter what it's good to get a handle on your street habits and you'll do it inexpensively (and fun too) on a Monster.

Then get an MV and appreciate. Shoot for clipons if you plan on riding the track more than the street.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I bought the F4-750 coming from an Aprilia RS 250. No problem here, so go for it. It's all in the wrist.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I agree with Maximum Velocity. It sounds like you've ridden enough bikes. Just take it easy at the beginning. In fact, the biggest issue could be the seat height. If you are comfortable with the riding position it should work for you :f4:

·
Jason + Stanley Knife + D.I.Y = Casualty and
1,061 Posts
well i'd say go the mv route cheap 750 for start and then work your way up to a tambo lol

get the 750 your be getting used to it for a few 100 miles so you'll learn what it can do while giving it much respect and trying not to ruin your pride and joy
and cruising around watching people point at you and say lucky bastard i want one of those

so go for it

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Welcome to the forum....as MV-999R mentioned it's hard for us to know without hearing how much dirt bike experience you have but if you are an experienced dirt biker as long as you are sensible and take the transformation to road slowly and sensibly I think you should be fine on an MV 750.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what should I do?

Thanks very much for all your comments, very much appreciated and its nice to get some honest response's as I have tried in other forums but people have been very 'cliquE'

I do live in the UK and I can get an MV for the same price as a relatively new GSXR, R6 I have seen a couple for £5000 which is roughly $9500

I think I may go for one and take it easy for a bit, what should I look out for when purchasing one?

Sorry for all the questions, I will leave you all alone after this :blush:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
lurker said:
Thanks very much for all your comments, very much appreciated and its nice to get some honest response's as I have tried in other forums but people have been very 'cliquE'

I do live in the UK and I can get an MV for the same price as a relatively new GSXR, R6 I have seen a couple for £5000 which is roughly $9500

I think I may go for one and take it easy for a bit, what should I look out for when purchasing one?

Sorry for all the questions, I will leave you all alone after this :blush:
With any second hand bike purchase check the history as well as the engine/vin numbers match the rego papers.
Some shonking people out there.
Look for scratch marks not only on the fairings but all the metal/alloy parts.Pegs,handlebars etc
A good one is a drill hole in the oil filler cap (an ex race bike)
Any scratches would indicate a fall.If you find a straight bike for a decent price,then why not buy it!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I think if you're coming off a ZXR-400 and can ride that well then you'll be able to ride anything so long as you show it respect. I went from a CBR400R to a GSXR-600 and didn't notice *that* much difference. (I mean, yes it was faster, but not in a whole different league.) So long as you realise the F4-750 is heavier, has the turning radius of an articulated truck (thanks to the limited lock), you'll do fine.

To be honest, if I could find a really decent ZXR-400 I'd probably buy one. My times on the 400 were the best biking days of my life. I long for the Japanese firms to revisit the 400 supersports. A '89 CBR4 weighs the same as a Gixxer 1000 these days. imagine what they could do for a 400 now!

Si

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
if I was you id Go straight for the F4, if you dont, you may find after a few weeks you wish you did, end up selling the bike you bought and then going for the F4 possibly at a loss £££££££££££££££££££££

I take it youve checked out insurance first! there are a few threads on here regarding insurance

good luck and get it quick before prices start going sky hi for summer months

·
Registered
109 Posts
I went from a 400 to a CBR600 and now to a 750s Brutale... with your experience u should be able to hand a 750 fine...

What really helped me was riding with experienced riders... watching them and having them take it easy for me as someone new to bigger bikes... it wasn't long after getting the 600 that i wanted something bigger, but i knew i needed to learn as well.

if u get a smaller bike... get something cheap... cos u won't want it for long :)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Bear in mind that parts can be unbelievably expensive when compared to other marques, for little apparent reason. Be prepared for this. Anything on a bike you buy that you think you'll need to replace, (other than consumables), could cost you a lot and you may have to wait an eternity to get them.

Si

1 - 17 of 17 Posts