MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is always a loaded question when you're in an enthusiast board but I'm just interested to see what people think.

I currently have an '05 S2R 800 and coming up to 2nd year of ownership and finishing second season.

I'm thinking about the following bikes:
S3
Brutale
Hypermotard
Daytona 675

Unfortunately, I haven't ridden any of them so I'm not sure about their relative performance/ridability.

Primarily I want a fun bike to ride in twisties, I do ride some highway miles but try to avoid it when I can. I get ~115 miles out of my S2R before the light comes on, I really want to get more than that. That means the hypermotard is probably going to fall down there. If it were available, I'd buy the Speed Triple 675 in a flash but I hear 08 and I want a new bike before then.

Any feedback? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help everyone, I've been enjoying lurking on this board. :)

I've posted this question on triumphrat.net too. ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you don't the mod to the ECU that sorts that out? Do you just ride it like you stole it? :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
hey evilsteve....
shouldnt you be on the DML? what are you doing on this forum? heheh.
i was considering a 675 as well, you should PM DUCNHAR (deb) from the DML-she just got one last month.

well i just got very lucky and picked up an 05 750 brutale ...omg. its intoxicating!( i cant wait to be done breaking it in) so the 910's must be amazing. what a difference from my monster 620. but i do enjoy them both for different reasons.

i think CLiffs in CT is doing a demo day this month . you can probably score a test ride there.

im sure youll have fun whatever you decide-good luck!

spankee (maire)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ha ha :)

What kind of mileage to people get on the freeway? I have a 90 mile freeway ride that I do to get upstate and I'm wondering how far I'd make it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
my idiot light goes on at right around 100 mi. i think im only getting 25 mpg :|

ill be looking at a midpipe and chip soon if that will help.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mr. Evil,
Long time no see. I've had the oppurtunity to ride quite a few bikes, and although the Brutale was not the fastest, it definitely was the most fun. It takes a little to get used to, but dont let that discourage you. Once you get adjusted, there's nothing like it. The bike is in its zone when ridden hard. Gas light comes on a little past 100-110 for me. Take one for a ride,...You'll see.

Did you move yet?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey curi0us. :)

I've always loved the Brutale but I'm thinking I'd prefer the 750, probably red if I can find one. Otherwise the 910. To be honest, I think the 750 would work better for me, as would the Daytona 675 (Speed Triple 675 will be amazing when it comes out). I guess I'm concerned that I'd be getting just as far on my bike (Brutale is way more sexy though). I'm also a little concerned about the basic design getting a bit long in the tooth. People never complained about the Brutale 6 piston calipers when they first came out but now people say they're not very good?

How's your S going? Do you have a 910 too?

I haven't moved yet, we keep seeing a lot of places, just nothing that works for us. Well, we do have one application in at the moment for a place but the brokers are dodgy so we can't really count on it. :-\

·
Registered
161 Posts
when i bought my 750s i went out with the intention of buying a more suitable bike for commuting. it obviously isn't a commuter bike but 1 test ride on it was enough to convince me that i should have it :heart: . forget what's practical it's the best ride ever!!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
With the Brutale, it doesn't matter how hard or gently your drive it...the light never fails to come on 100miles...give or take 5-10 miles. So, drive it like you stole it, and have a funner 100 miles....well, that's my take atleast. There's a difference between ragging out a motor and driving it how it was meant to be driven....drive it like it was meant to be driven...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I guess it's more a question of having to ride 90 miles to get upstate and then having to stress about getting there if the tank isn't totally full when I leave. It's not that I can't stop on the way, just that I don't want to *have* to stop.

I heard the chip for the 750 sorted the fueling out?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
EvilSteve said:
Thanks guys. I guess it's more a question of having to ride 90 miles to get upstate and then having to stress about getting there if the tank isn't totally full when I leave. It's not that I can't stop on the way, just that I don't want to *have* to stop.

I heard the chip for the 750 sorted the fueling out?
What chip???

·
Registered
11 Posts
EvilSteve said:
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/brutale750eprom.html
That one, bit of an iffy upgrade (if you're doing it yourself) but seems like it makes a big difference to fuel economy. I'm guessing that a PCIII would have the same effect if it were tuned properly. Not sure though... for obvious reasons. ;)
I'm getting much better fuel economy since installing the Moto One chip, particularly in the city. With the stock map I was lucky to break 20 mpg around town and saw about 25 on back roads. Now I get 27 regardless of the riding conditions. Light now comes on at 115 and theoretical max is about 140. Plus, my messenger bag no longer reeks of raw fuel when I arrive at work!

However, the improved range does come at the expense of noticeably higher coolant temperatures at low speed. When the ambient air temp is above 80F, the fans have a hard time keeping the engine from climbing gradually towards the display-flashing overheat warning (237F?) Although to be fair to Moto One, I simply dropped the chip in and never reset the CO% - so I might be running a little leaner than intended at idle.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That'd be something I'd want to do if I was going to get the Brutale. Thanks for your comment MVPB. :)

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
I had basically the same short list as you (including the S2R), and the Brutale wins hands down!
The short range is a bit awkward, but not enough to be annoying.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks fazer6. How would you compare the bikes? Can you give me a quick rundown of the differences and/or your impressions?

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
EvilSteve said:
Thanks fazer6. How would you compare the bikes? Can you give me a quick rundown of the differences and/or your impressions?
It really comes down to passion, not logic, but:

S3 - Cool, mean, but big, awkward and everywhere.
Hypermotard - Isn't out yet, and fun for short rides, but probably not much else.
S3 675 - Might be great, might not be. Might not even make it to the US (though you didn't mention where you were).
S2R - Same old monster, not bad, but not all that exciting either.

Brutale - All it takes is one ride to change your perception of fun on 2 wheels.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts