MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what later model radiators fit the 2003 F4s model? If not, which ones would fit (it's to replace a cracked radiator)

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
So fellas, is a super radiator like Febur better in cooling for the bike ( road ) than a single radiator and dedicated oil cooler ?

joe

·
Registered
14,209 Posts
So fellas, is a super radiator like Febur better in cooling for the bike ( road ) than a single radiator and dedicated oil cooler ?

joe
Joe;
NO, we need to fix the problems, not just use a giant radiator (you'll be making support rods for them for sure:drummer:)

stock the 2 rad MV has 40% more core volume than a Ducati 1198 making the same amount of HP (heat)
and it gets HOT

PSSSST! the Ducati has a real oil cooler:wtf:

the heat exchanger is a joke..... how much water can you push through 5' of 6mm tubing with a vane pump?????

I had a radiator modified for Donsy's race bike....
the pressure cap is on the right tank....the left tank is divided in half horizontally, the water pipe on the left is straightened and the bleed line to the header tank is gone
the header tank is no longer pressurized:drummer:
it gravity feeds the valve in the filler neck.....and you never need to do the radiator bleeding monkey motions:jerkoff:

MV on the '10 bikes got it a bit better by putting the cap on the right tank.....but then screwed up by using a crossover pipe instead of dividing the left tank

but they did follow Ducati's lead with an oil cooler (like on a Brutale:stickpoke)

if Febur sent me a free radiator, i would not even consider using it, as it adds even more weight to the bike

F4s need;
>ignition maps
>fuel maps
>to lose the "heat exchanger" anchor
>eliminate extra plumbing
>ventilate the fairing
>seal the triple clamp area so air doesn't bypass the radiator, like on my Aprilia RSVR
>add an oil cooler

Chris X81 with the MicroTec fixed the 1st 2, the rest is kind of up to you

get yourself a Brutale oil cooler adapter.....then you need an oil cooler, the '10+ MV radiator seems to be the easiest to hook up, Donsy started with a 848-1098-1198 one, i don't know what he has now

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Thanks Noel. I did follow you and Donsy's lead by fitting a complete 2010 cooling system c/w oil cooler to my 2007 engined F4. This week I am taking her on the road so I'll give a report. As I have a sister bike with a standard double rad system I'll be able to give a rough comparison between the two systems. For me ( as I am sad lol ) it will be an interesting exercise.

I am curious about how the two different cooling circuits work on pulling heat from the engine.

In a simplistic way I see the 2010 having a upper rad which directly cools the cylinder head and barrels via the " jacket " and the oil cooler has a direct cooling effect on the oil itself which more efficiently cool the crank journals..

On pre 2010 the top end is cooled nicely but the oil is actually warmed in the intercooler ( useful while the engine is warming up ? )... When the engine is hot..The oil is getting very indirect cooling and maybe this is why the 312s occasionally shoot a big end bearing..certainly won't help matters.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts

joe
I know that it's not the question you're asking but I can confirm that a Febur radiator / Microtec combination on a 312R is significantly better than a standard setup. I have no opinion on the oil cooling system that you mention.
I can also assure you that the structural build of the Febur is a massive improvement on the standard radiator. There is no risk of an upper radiator failure.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Not sure why Febur is getting bagged on but they make bang up products. Have owned numerous radiator set ups for various bikes over the years and have their rads on each of my bikes now(plus oil coolers). Just about every race team with high power superbikes use them or some variance(pace, pwr, and a few others). Granted the MV isn't a 200+whp monster but it will still benefit from an aftermarket radiator.

Are there cheaper ways to remedy the over heating? Yes.

Is a Febur radiator a worthy option for cooling? Yes, expensive, but yes.

Something nobody ever thinks about is keeping the oil temps cool and at a steady temp. A stand alone cooler can do wonders for controlling heat soak and fast rising temps. Just haven't figured out how to mount a cooler up in the F4 as the italians are not much on efficient design(i.e. headers sticking out at odd angles taking up way to much room under the panels and sitting way to close to the radiator) so getting something fitted under the bodywork might be a bit of a headache, if not impossible.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Something nobody ever thinks about is keeping the oil temps cool and at a steady temp. A stand alone cooler can do wonders for controlling heat soak and fast rising temps.
Are you sure about that :naughty:.
Anyway, yes Febur makes great gear, not just radiators either.

·
Registered
14,209 Posts
no oil cooler?

Something nobody ever thinks about is keeping the oil temps cool and at a steady temp. A stand alone cooler can do wonders for controlling heat soak and fast rising temps. Just haven't figured out how to mount a cooler up in the F4 as the italians are not much on efficient design(i.e. headers sticking out at odd angles taking up way to much room under the panels and sitting way to close to the radiator) so getting something fitted under the bodywork might be a bit of a headache, if not impossible.
Are you sure about that :naughty:.
varium;
Donsy has been racing an F4 in Purgatory for a couple of years

WITH an oil cooler, no heat exchanger or lower radiator

just a modified to my specs F4 upper radiator, an oil cooler and a Brutale cooler adapter

we both started with 848/1098/1198 oil coolers, I've gone to a '10+ MV cooler, fits in the Vee just fine

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
and at risk of boring everyone senseless ; )

I have successfully fitted an entire 2010 radiator/oil cooler to a 2007 F4...No problems particularly.

joe

·
Registered
14,209 Posts
Donsy;
post a quartering photo of your bike without the fairing

varium;
I have nothing against Febur.......BUT I'm NOT adding extra weight

Donsy's and my bike are lighter, don't overheat and didn't cost a shit pile of money

you do what you want.......I fixed Donsy's heat problem.......now about the weight one:stickpoke:stickpoke

oh, he'll go nuclear......on the stick pokes :drummer:

I have no idea what it means in Afrikaans.......but its not like in English

·
Registered
819 Posts
For a fairly stock Agusta its probably not worth the expense for most. I mention using them because the motors i have on my bikes require them. Although i don't see any issue with using such an aftermarket unit if one has the coin because Febur makes terrific products.

Its good to know that you folks have been able to find a fairly economical solution to the cooling system deficiencies. Have you guys tested this stuff out on lots of traffic/city (stop and go) riding? The double pass is going to help a lot but curious as to the capacity in longer heat soak situational riding.
If its good without the lower rad. for city riding then that seems to be good news all around. A little plus for the rest of the Febur oil cooler units i have. When i had my agusta's together couldn't figure out how to fit a unit under the panels that didn't look like a jerry rig. These would fit nicely up under the upper radiator though.

Going to pull an old upper rad back out and see about fitment. Do you know if the bottoms of the pre'10 and post'10 rads are about the same length(end tank to end tank)

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
For a fairly stock Agusta its probably not worth the expense for most. I mention using them because the motors i have on my bikes require them. Although i don't see any issue with using such an aftermarket unit if one has the coin because Febur makes terrific products.

Its good to know that you folks have been able to find a fairly economical solution to the cooling system deficiencies. Have you guys tested this stuff out on lots of traffic/city (stop and go) riding? The double pass is going to help a lot but curious as to the capacity in longer heat soak situational riding.
If its good without the lower rad. for city riding then that seems to be good news all around. A little plus for the rest of the Febur oil cooler units i have. When i had my agusta's together couldn't figure out how to fit a unit under the panels that didn't look like a jerry rig. These would fit nicely up under the upper radiator though.

Going to pull an old upper rad back out and see about fitment. Do you know if the bottoms of the pre'10 and post'10 rads are about the same length(end tank to end tank)

This is a 2010 cooling system. With a little work and thinking it can be fitted to pre 2010 F4 .

How do I know ?

I have done it. : )

The bottom cooler is an oil cooler....Job done ; )

joe

Attachments

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
"Going to pull an old upper rad back out and see about fitment. Do you know if the bottoms of the pre'10 and post'10 rads are about the same length(end tank to end tank)"

Yes, it fits right in. Width and overall drop are same ... There were no major problems...Not quite bolt up and go but certainly within the scope of an enthusiastic home mechanic....and having a dedicated oil cooler and a much more efficient top radiator/stronger build with double fans...It's a no brainer really.

I'm surprised that guys in hot places aren't doing this mod . You can be fully confident armed with the knowledge that this was the route MV Agusta took to keep the bikes cooler.. I particularly like that the crank is bathed in oil cooled by that bottom cooler and not by oil cooled by the heat exchanger which is a bit wishy washy imvho.

and Noel, cheers..You know well that it was your work and Donsy's that inspired this job. : )

joe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts