MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using? BMC and DNA seem to be the options, are there any other brands worth checking out? Also, is there a how-to on accessing the air box/swapping the filter?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here is the dyno chart from the MWR website.

MWR dyno chart

The black line is with the new filter. It does smooth out the fueling a little and they claim 3 more HP, but if you look at the chart, the increase is in the last few RPM.

The MWR did not do a good enough job and my air box was pretty dirty. I had serviced it in March and yesterday I looked at it again and was shocked by the state of the filter and the air box after 8 track days (and they say to service it once a year!). I went back to the paper filter because the gain in HP is not worth risking engine damage.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Sprint make one and they seem to be getting the plaudits everywhere at the minute. Cheaper than the MWR, no oil, blows clean with compressed air, same design as OEM and according to the bumph flows a lot more air. So you'll probably need a tune.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dayum! Thanks for all the info fellas. Love it. Now how do i go about picking up a Sprint air filter for the rivale?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

MWR dyno chart

The black line is with the new filter. It does smooth out the fueling a little and they claim 3 more HP, but if you look at the chart, the increase is in the last few RPM.

The MWR did not do a good enough job and my air box was pretty dirty. I had serviced it in March and yesterday I looked at it again and was shocked by the state of the filter and the air box after 8 track days (and they say to service it once a year!). I went back to the paper filter because the gain in HP is not worth risking engine damage.
Blimey just from an air filter? Mine is all standard with just a QD pipe and off top of my head it was something like 123 or 126 at the rear

Definitely need to invest in something like this if it helps

·
Registered
114 Posts
Blimey just from an air filter? Mine is all standard with just a QD pipe and off top of my head it was something like 123 or 126 at the rear

Definitely need to invest in something like this if it helps
My point was that the dyno sheet wasn't impressive enough to risk engine damage from an air filter that doesn't seem to do a good job of filtering the dirt from the air.

The Sprint air filter that Jono posted about looks like a way better choice to me than the MWR.

I am taking my F3 to the track next weekend (Chuckwalla in SoCal). My suspicion is that I won't even notice the change, if so I will be selling the MWR.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I have the DNA filter in my Rivale.

·
Vendor
5,148 Posts

MWR dyno chart

Correct me if I am wrong,but if your air filter is dirty,the filter is doing it's job.How can you blame the filter?MWR says service the filter once a year in normal conditions so that does not mean severe conditions.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong,but if your air filter is dirty,the filter is doing it's job.How can you blame the filter?MWR says service the filter once a year in normal conditions so that does not mean severe conditions.
The airbox was dirty, the filter didn't do a very good job.

I just don't think that the small performance gain is worth getting a race filter. You may not mind having to pull the tank off and open up the airbox every couple of track days to clean and oil the filter, but after reading this thread I have lost confidence in these air filters and have gone back to stock.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts

MWR dyno chart

Not shitting on your comments mate, just curios.
I assume the filter you used is not the kind that goes individually over each air intake, but rather the long cylinder at the front of the airbox ?
If you did 8 track days on the filter without cleaning it, how many miles did you do on it ?
Race airfilters in general are less filter orientated as apposed to road filters, but need more regular cleaning.
The filter you used I assume is the foam version, did you oil it correctly ?

Like I said , just curious.:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not shitting on your comments mate, just curios.
I assume the filter you used is not the kind that goes individually over each air intake, but rather the long cylinder at the front of the airbox ?
If you did 8 track days on the filter without cleaning it, how many miles did you do on it ?
Race airfilters in general are less filter orientated as apposed to road filters, but need more regular cleaning.
The filter you used I assume is the foam version, did you oil it correctly ?

Like I said , just curious.:)
This is the one that I have pic of MWR filter

I had the bike serviced in March of this year and my mechanic cleaned and oiled the airfilter while he was in there. edit to add: As far as mileage is concerned, I couldn't tell you. But I can say for sure that I did 8-10 sessions a weekend for four weekends. Obviously according to this info from their website I should have done it sooner: "Clean and pre-oil the filter at least once a year.Only clean & pre-oil the filter with MWR air filter oil and cleaner.Caution: Due to the more open structure of the rac efilter cleaning & pre-oiling after every two race weekends." To be honest, the first time I read this I didn't get to the second sentence!

After reading the above quote about this particular filter, it seems that it should be serviced every couple of trackdays. I did not do this, and I should have. However, I am still not convinced that this filter seals well enough to do its job, especially where there is the flap of foam that is perpendicular to the rest of the filter.

For me, having to service the air filter that often is more trouble than it is worth for the small gain in performance. If you get lax about it like I did, it makes a mess of the airbox. I hope my posts make it clear that I did not do my due diligence. With that being said, the amount of large grit that made it through was surprising. The filter was still gooey with oil, so it hadn't dried out.

However, my point to the OP is still the same, for such a small gain in performance, I don't think these filters are worth it. Others will disagree.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts