MV Agusta Forum banner

What product would you like to see next posted as a group buy?

• Rearsets

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Footpegs only (please specify fixed versus folding)

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Clip-ons with replaceable bars

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Top triple clamp

• Crash protection (frame sliders, fork sliders. etc)

• Brake/clutch levers

• Gas Caps

• race fairing mounts

Votes: 3 11.5%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I keep bothering most of you here with this stuff, but I am really trying to get a feel for this market so that I can serve you guys better.

I am about to embark on my next design, but I don't want to invest a lot of time and effort for a product that doesn't have much of a need. My previous post has only generated 7 poll responses out of 120+ page views.

So please take a second to answer the poll questions and keep in mind that for any of these products to be made there really needs to be double digit responses. I can certainly make one offs if people desire them but keep in mind that often it is just as expensive to make 1 versus 10 or more (for instance the cost of one case cover was about $20 cheaper than making 10).

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I think you could do well selling what people want from emoto but don't want to go to emoto for. I would forget the useless "bling" and focus on functional additions. Out: Carbon fiber swing arm cover. In: bearings for the rear hub. Out: gel seats. In: nice rear sets. Out: cast aluminum anything. In: Billet aluminum anything.

Just my not so humble opinion.

CAG

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
a nice keyless gas cap is on my list of "to find"

i havent seen many out there that i really like

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you could do well selling what people want from emoto but don't want to go to emoto for. I would forget the useless "bling" and focus on functional additions. Out: Carbon fiber swing arm cover. In: bearings for the rear hub. Out: gel seats. In: nice rear sets. Out: cast aluminum anything. In: Billet aluminum anything.

Just my not so humble opinion.

CAG
We'll I tried the billet alumium anything and got crickets:loser: This time I thought I would ask and at least try to fill the immediate need. Things like bearings and what not are easily sourced locally which is easy to do and I would be glad to assist, or if there are several people that need them can work on putting together a group buy to possibly get a better price, but those things are quantity driven. I don't think I could get the bearings any cheaper than one person can buying them on their own.

Thanks for the response Carl, I certainly appreciate it!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I agree with CAG about being an alternative to EMoto, and about functional over "the bling." I disagree about the seat though. It seems that's one item that many are interested in upgrading. Even things like the rear wheel socket,plugs, oil filters and air filters may be helpful for the "one stop shopper." But perhaps you want to focus on more "boutique" items, or on manufactured items, rather than brokering?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right now my focus is on design and manufacturing. I don't have a great deal of interest in stocking every item from every possible manufacturer. I think to be succesful at that game you really need to carry quite a bit of inventory and have it on hand, otherwise you get caught in the emoto dilema; selling product you don't have. That puts you at the mercy of your suppliers which I don't really think serves the community well. I would rather focus on doing things well, develop a good reputation and build the parts I and the rest of the community want. Lets face it, I am not going to get rich doing this, for this market segment. But I can have a little fun doing it.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
If i could vote twice, additional to rearsets i think levers would be nice. Might hold off from the CRG ones if you can make something competitive to that appearance and price wise!

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If i could vote twice, additional to rearsets i think levers would be nice. Might hold off from the CRG ones if you can make something competitive to that appearance and price wise!
I had been working on levers and can restart. I'm not sure what the price is for the CRG levers so I don't know how competative I could be. My one concern with the levers, and I discussed this with Mike R as well, is that I think the adjusters on the OEm levers are better than the CRG's 6 position only. The OEM levers have much greater range of adjustment, but I could incorporate the OEM style adjuster and add features such as folding or replaceable tips. As for the rearsets, I have a set of CC style on the drawing board, but have yet to complete them. I am trying to work out which style, and type of mounting for the pegs.

·
The Machinist
2,448 Posts
It's like the movie Field of Dreams, "if you build they will come".:)

I for one would like a fairing stay. Just cause they're so hard to find. Probably not the best thing to mass produce.

I think your best bet though is to make loads of rearsets. Everyone wants rearsets if they're at the right price. If you could make them so they would except either the fixed or the folding now that would be cool!

Clip-ons would be cool. Maybe with bars that are a little longer then Ferracci's. Maybe like 3/8 or a 1/2" longer. More adjustability.

I liked the Case cover and think it's a great idea. The only thing that I didn't like to be honest was the engraving. It was just to big. if you could make a nice logo that would be cool.

Keep up the good work.:f4:

·
Administrator
20,746 Posts
I could go for either fixed or folding pegs...I just want something with a bit more grip then the stockers.

·
Registered
82 Posts
new mirrors. not the glass, A new design that comes out further. Or maybe some kind of extension for the stock mirrors. I have seen them for the 1098...

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's like the movie Field of Dreams, "if you build they will come".:)

I for one would like a fairing stay. Just cause they're so hard to find. Probably not the best thing to mass produce.

I think your best bet though is to make loads of rearsets. Everyone wants rearsets if they're at the right price. If you could make them so they would except either the fixed or the folding now that would be cool!

Clip-ons would be cool. Maybe with bars that are a little longer then Ferracci's. Maybe like 3/8 or a 1/2" longer. More adjustability.

I liked the Case cover and think it's a great idea. The only thing that I didn't like to be honest was the engraving. It was just to big. if you could make a nice logo that would be cool.

Keep up the good work.:f4:
Actually you're the second person to mention the logo. I think the rendering is a little deceptive because the logo is just a little over 3/4" tall. I will let the group buy stand until the deadline passes. As I said, nothing is set in stone with them until they are made so suggesting changes is good. At the pace it is going though I don't think I will be able to produce them.
Fairing stay is actually pretty easy, I can make a very limited production run here which would keep the costs low for a low volume run.
Rearsets are on the Drawing board, but they are a more costly venture since there are a lot more parts. The more features you build in the more expensive they become. I certainly can make some that are affordable which use stock brake and clutch levers that would keep the costs low.

·
The Machinist
2,448 Posts
RobP said:
Fairing stay is actually pretty easy, I can make a very limited production run here which would keep the costs low for a low volume run.
Well if you go down that road soon please let me know. I'm interested. :drummer:

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
hmm. i voted for triple clamp. i'm not sure why. Thinking about it, probably would prefer footpegs. just the peg. fixed.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
fixed pegs, with grip, just the peg. Honestly, for just plain non-linkage rearsets I would get the fbf set, but all i want is the non-folding peg for more grip, and a fixed point for jacking th bike up for maint. etc.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok for the footpeg guys, here are a few choices:

footpeg style A:

Style a is a generic, round hollow peg with a delrin cap over the end. This is most likely the least expensive way to go since there are very few machining operations. heavy knurled surface will provide a good nonslip surface for most contitions.

Footpeg style B:

Style B is a bit more stylish (IMHO). Surface is made with machined grooves along the surface and then undercut. Finally a pocket is cut on the underside to shed weight.

More stylish, a couple more machining ops, but not alot different to produce. Probably a little more expensive than style A although the lack of the delrin insert may make the costs very similar. Heavy cleats should provide non-slip surface even with mud on your boots.

Footpeg style C:

This is an earlier take on the CC style pegs, Cleats are groove type. This is a very stylish peg but will also be VERY expensive to produce, particularly since they are not the same left to right. I would need to tweak the design a bit to make it conducive to 3-akis machining and minimize the number of set-ups. This is the stylish, money is no object peg.

All the pegs are shown as folding type. I can make them all fixed or I can leave them like this which will work for both the rearsets and passenger pegs and I can produce what is essentially a footpeg stop. The one thing I really need to look at is the peg pin to make sure it can support the weight of the bike (if that is the reason for the fixed pegs). I am sure the peg will be up to it, it is the pin I am not sure about. Let me hear your thoughts on the above designs.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Option B works for me!
Is it possible to source a new, stronger pin, ie. titanium or something (if necessary)?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Option B works for me!
Is it possible to source a new, stronger pin, ie. titanium or something (if necessary)?
It can all be done, it is just a matter of cost. I just need to do the analysis on the peg and pin (and rearset bracket for that matter). If the pin isn't strong enough I can certainly specify an alternative.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts