MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My guess is coolant; which has changed a colour after heating?
Bike has done 11k km's. and does not seem to be running any hotter than normal. Sits between 82 and 102 Celsius, me on the other hand, is freezing my nuts off at Kangaroo Valley..

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would say a water pump seal. But I am sure someone with more knowledge will come forward. Shouldn't cost too much.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
It does look like a water pump seal. I had that happen to my 910R last year. I still rode back from Port Macquarie to Sydney and the bike did not heat up. I just made sure the coolant reservoir was full (water will do the job temporarily). I had it fixed at Trooperlu - water pump removed and disassembled, all seals and 0-rings replaced, water pump re-assembled and re-installed, cooling system re-filled - for a tad under $300, mostly labour.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Don't panic too much yet! It could just be overflow from the header tank. I have extended the overflow hose on my 1090 as when it dripped occasionally it was too messy for my liking.
Did that all happen at once? If so, see above posts. If not, it could just be a buildup from an overfull header tank. You do know that the correct level is the minimum mark I presume?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Just heat up the bike,hot, make sure there is water in there ,look under the water pump,there is a very small hole ,very hard to see ,if it is dripping water then all you have to do is change the seals,and maybe bearing in the water pump,Revead is correct check were your overflow is.I just pulled mine apart and cleaned it all ,used a bit of very fine wet and dry,cleaned the seals and put it all back together,so far no leaks.

cheers eddy

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont think its the overflow hose.
but leaking (very slightly) from the bottom nut.

ive had a look on this website for where the coolant reservoir is located, so I can check it. and all my searches have been fruitless. so can someone point me in the right direction please??

I also have to ride about another 200km before I can get it to a bike shop due to my current long work hours.. do u think it will be ok until monday?

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
I dont think its the overflow hose.
but leaking (very slightly) from the bottom nut.

There is a little hole underneath the waterpump, towards the motor.
This is where coolant can escape if the seeals are bad.

ive had a look on this website for where the coolant reservoir is located, so I can check it. and all my searches have been fruitless. so can someone point me in the right direction please??

Are you kidding mate, second post from the top of the Brutale and maintenance section, manuals :stickpoke.
Do you really not know or are you kidding.

I also have to ride about another 200km before I can get it to a bike shop due to my current long work hours.. do u think it will be ok until monday?
You don't even have an owners manual ?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You don't even have an owners manual ?
am working away from home for the last two weeks. so dont have access to it. I had one day off today and went for a spin.

And yes serious about the coolant question. otherwise I wouldnt ask it. I only ride them, not really fix them.
but for some reason, there appears to be virtually little or no information anywhere on 989r's, which leads me to another question I have been trying to work out, which series brutale is closest to the 989r (for parts etc), id like to think 1078 but I doubt its that simple.

So yeah, am total nub at all this, but Id rather have some idea of what I am ment to be doing before I start tinkering with my expensive bike no where near a mechanic.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well..

dont I feel an idiot..
down load brutale workshop manual (probably smashed my data limit for my phone), find coolant section, read, go out side and play with bike in dark with torch.
All this time, I thought that my bike had this Italian mumbo jumbo written all over it cause thats what Italians do..
who would of thought that that "Livello Liquido" was the coolant level guide haha!!! well obviously not me...
so bike is out of coolant, getting that cap off was a pain. Im actually concerend at how long its been empty/low. But I pushed it (hard) 400km today and even tho its cool in Australia now, it stayed the usual 82' whilst riding, 100' whilst standing..
Im guessing, a water pump seal has broken, and thus the cause of my issues..
Im dead lucky that it didnt decide to break down (blow up) on me in the middle of nowhere.

thanks one and all for replies and help
I'll post back again when I have it fixed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The weep hole wouldn't leak that much I'd say. It also looks like part of the casing is missing near one of the nuts - unless it's the dried coolant that makes it look that way?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Ben,

You might find that even though the resevior is empty there is still plenty of coolant in the system. Top it up and see how much it takes.

Cheers
Rich

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Just heat up the bike,hot, make sure there is water in there ,look under the water pump,there is a very small hole ,very hard to see ,if it is dripping water then all you have to do is change the seals,and maybe bearing in the water pump,Revead is correct check were your overflow is.I just pulled mine apart and cleaned it all ,used a bit of very fine wet and dry,cleaned the seals and put it all back together,so far no leaks.

cheers eddy
+ 10 on wot Eddy said.

Clean the area up and the electrical contacts and apply some di-electric grease there too.

1st suspect is the overflow tube ( where is the end of it ? )

then the water pump seal ...

joe

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Think I'm with Donsy on this one. The dry pattern follows with what you'd get from the weep hole when the pumps running. It'll push out as a pretty fine spray under load. I had a hairline crack in my cars water pump housing and it could empty my coolant into the oil system in less than two days, it'd surprise you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just dropped it into trooper Lu's then, and will have an answer withing two hours.

Am hoping its the seal..

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is exactly what is looks like. My water pump seal went out about a month and a half ago. Fixed it for $25 dollars (bought the parts and did it myself). It's a pretty easy fix, just intimidating given the machine you're working with. And when the seal goes out, yes the weep hole shits out coolant. I found out when I pulled into a gas station with some buddies and my entire back (jacket) was covered in coolant as was the left rear side of the bike, up to the tail.

When I split the water pump case, as soon as I saw the seal I knew it was that. It looked corroded and dried out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The weep hole wouldn't leak that much I'd say. It also looks like part of the casing is missing near one of the nuts - unless it's the dried coolant that makes it look that way?

I thought the same thing. "The hell, a chunk of the case is gone". Pull the case and on the opposite side (on the top - can't see it w/o pulling the case) the same so called "gash" can be seen. It's just the way they designed it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Am still waiting, I used to be the postie here so am revisiting old haunts and drinking lots of coffee :D

This has also given me the idea that I should learn a lot more about bikes and how to work on them thus saving me a pretty penny and stress when situations like this arise.
I should also wash them occasionally haha

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back.

$300 total. Was the seals at the back but they changed both.
Also discovered this miracle cleaning agent "brake clean". Did my chain and rear sprocket and it looks new. Will have to pick some up when I am able.

Cheers Justin and TL team, and forum for the advice :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts