MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just finished reading Tom Crean - An Unsung Hero. A fabulous book of human grit determination 100 odd years ago alongside Scott and Shackleton in the Antarctic. Unputdownable.

Just starting Adrian Newey - How to build a car. The worlds greatest F1 car designer? Watch this space...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Last one was Where the Crawdags Sing

enjoyable lockdown read

·
Administrator
21,057 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Just finished "Wolf Hall", a historical fiction about Thomas Cromwell. A bit difficult to read at first, just the way the narrative is written, but I'm glad I persevered. Prior to that I read Ken Follett's "Century" trilogy, more historical fiction about the last century...fascinating story line and guaranteed to teach you something about world history from pre-WW1 all the way up tp Obama's election. Start with "Fall of Giants". I highly recommend these books.

Also reading "The Nikki Chronicles" by Terry Goodkind.. a continuation of his "Sword of Truth" series (14+ books and counting)......pure fantasy, magic and such. These are books I can pick up and breeze through when nothing else is on my radar. Last fall I read Follett's "Kingsbridge" trilogy starting with "Pillar's of the Earth"...historical fiction set in 12th century England. Excellent reading.
Hey Ed

If you like historical fiction, you might enjoy some of Bernard Cornwell's books. The Sharpe series is the one I am familiar with, Napoleonic war period, but I believe there are others in different epochs. I got lazy and have the DVD set of Sharpe.

In a similar vane, but slightly different, George MacDonald Fraser's the Flashman series can be quite amusing, a sort of an undeserving anti-hero, a cad and a coward, in very historically accurate setting.

One of my favourites is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's (he of sherlock Holmes fame) the Exploits of Brigadier Gerard and the Adventures of Brigadier Gerard. Napoleonic era again, but it is about a French cavalry officer who is an excellent swordsman.

·
Administrator
21,057 Posts
@MacStrine .... I read and laughed my ass off at the entire Flashman series years ago....he also has a non-humorous historical fiction book I read that you may enjoy The Candlemass Road

21 - 25 of 25 Posts