MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a mechanic check out my MV and he noticed some leaks on my valve cover gasket and bottom end. I have no knowledge of these machines and I want to tear into it. I'm an A-10 crew chief and F-16 crew chief so I'm confident I can accomplish it. I want to ensure it's not a major issue (we all wish that). I just rolled over 5900 miles. Do I need to change gasket and re-torque head bolts? The bottom end I have no clue. Could it be weather (Tucson, AZ)?

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
Does the engine leave drips on the floor?
What's the dead line criteria on the mil craft you work on?

If this was mine, I would clean the engine and monitor the leak.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the engine leave drips on the floor?
No drops on the floor. Only wetness around the gaskets.

What's the dead line criteria on the mil craft you work on?

I don't understand the question? I am in the Air Force and the deadline to enter is raised to 39. I hope that is question you were asking.

If this was mine, I would clean the engine and monitor the leak. Okay I will clean it up.

·
Administrator
19,817 Posts
Looks like road grime and chain lube....

Clean it up and ride. When you see actual wet engine oil clean everything and do a powder test in the suspected area to pinpoint the leak.

I use the developer from Fault Finder brand dye penetrate test kit for the powder. Works great and easy to clean up. Probably other brands out there but the Fault Finder is inexpensive.

MVs are easy to work on. Donsy has gifted us with access to manuals at hos web site. (Thank you Donsy !!)

·
Registered
149 Posts
My old B3 started leaking oil past the front sprocket output shaft seal at about 6,000km. The seal was replaced under warranty (I thought it was too much chain lube at first, but was using a chain wax with no colour - from the pics yours looks like engine oil).

Has your bike ever had the gearbox out? - my old B3 did leak a little around the clutch side gasket after the gearbox was replaced.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Agree, Unless you see drips don't worry... when you do see them if your doing it yourself use the top down method. look for the highest point you see oil then replace that seal one at a time. Its common to see leaks almost anywhere from the wind blowing it around.

·
Registered
450 Posts
No drops on the floor. Only wetness around the gaskets.

I don't understand the question? I am in the Air Force and the deadline to enter is raised to 39. I hope that is question you were asking.
I was an Army mechanic; 7 drops or more on the floor per minute, of lubricating fluids, was cause for deadline.
So yes you understood my question. But now, I do not understand your reply "39", but that's ok, we're veering off course.

Cleaner her and ride; Engines in service of ground vehicles, of all types, can weep oil for thousands of miles without needing a repair.
Aircraft... well that's a completely different story.

·
Administrator
19,817 Posts
Closer look at the photos and I see the oil pooling on an edge near the bottom. I would guess that is coming from up top and ending there. One leak, not multiple.

Remove any covers and body parts you can to get a clear view. Clean it all up with brake cleaner or some other non-residue cleaner. Start and warm the engine and monitor for the leak source. If you can't pin-point it right away then spray a white powder on the area and watch for the oil to darken it. Non-scented foot powder can be used, but the dye penetrate test developer is better.

Reactions: Teeps

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had a mechanic check out my MV and he noticed some leaks on my valve cover gasket and bottom end. I have no knowledge of these machines and I want to tear into it. I'm an A-10 crew chief and F-16 crew chief so I'm confident I can accomplish it. I want to ensure it's not a major issue (we all wish that). I just rolled over 5900 miles. Do I need to change gasket and re-torque head bolts? The bottom end I have no clue. Could it be weather (Tucson, AZ)?
Any updates or new info?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts