MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my F4 all of 6 days now and of course I'm already cooped up in my garage fiddling with it...because of course I think that I can do it better than the Italian engineers that spent years designing it. Anyway, I spent several hours over the last 2-3 days fabricating a custom aluminum license plate bracket and I got to wondering what kind of cool stuff the members of this forum have hand crafted for their bikes (rear sets, brackets, risers, whole bikes?).

So if you've hand made something for your bike I think everyone (including myself) would love to hear about it...or even better - see pics of it.

Mine's not quite finished yet but I should have pics of the finished product posted tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
In 2002, I made a multi-piece billet lic plate relocator that bolted to the RG3 exhaust. It was great for track days as it was easy to remove. We made some extra and sold a bunch of them with TI and alum hardware. One of our customers bought it and made a simple stamped version of it that was less expensive so we didn't make any more.

At about that time we made a billet bracket for the little kellerman turnsignals so it could be fitted under the tail. We made a small run of those as well. We now see it is made by a european company. It is more complete than our original kit as they were able to source the OEM plugs.

We worked with Cycle Cat to develop adjustable bar risers to fit the MV. We changed the master cylinders over to Brembo GP radial master cylinders with remote reservoirs to get more clearance. We made little brackets so we could fit the reservoirs on the inside ends of the handle bars. This made reservoir clearance a non issue. It made the long rides a little bit more bearable. The 1000 has higher bars now- so it is not that big of an issue but it was sure nice on the 750.

We made an overflow bottle to collect some of the coolant that gets blown out when the bike is parked. I have a bunch of animals at the house and didn't need any.
incidents...plus I it no longer leaves a little puddle when I park it.

The Corse radiator was a challenge to mount. We used little hiem joints mounted on rods so we can give it the support that we need-- plus it allowed us to adjust it so we could get the CF farings on it. The radiator works good. The bike never gets very hot.

I made a little CF cover for the rear master that helped reduce the heat to it. That and the Thermotec tape and CF reservoir helped solve the vanishing rear brake...

Back in 2002, they did not have a lot of choices for rotors. We wanted iron rotors on the MV so we sent off the stock rotors to Braketech to make a run of full floating iron rotors in the AXIS design. They made a run of front and rear free floating iron rotors that were over a pound lighter and had less rolling resistence. The rotors made a huge difference.

In 02, there were no radial mount fork bottoms for the MV either. I didn't like the brakes too much so I worked with a machine shop to develop some billet radial fork lowers that kept the quick release feature for the wheels. We made both 100mm and 108mm bottoms to fit the different types of radial calipers offered by Brembo. The 4 pad calipers work almost too good...

It has been about 3+ years since we built the project bike. It was a lot of fun trying out different parts to see what worked--and what didn't. The MV shares a lot of parts with Ducati--so we were amazed how much we had on the shelf. It was also interesting to see the improvements that he learned from the original 916 design that Tamborini took with him to build the F4.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Is it possible to list the spares which are identical on DUCATI and MV F4 ?
It would be more easy to trace some replacement hardware.
I think about fuel pump, injection, handle bars or so "consommables"

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finished up my license plate bracket this afternoon and it doesn't look bad if I do say so myself.

It mounts to the exhaust bracket on the under side of the tail and definately cleans up the rear of the bike. I also mounted some rear turn signals inside the tail so that they show through the rear tail vents.

Not a professional job but better than spending $200 on a kit.

I posted a couple of somewhat blurry pics below.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
I also have one done here. it tightens as OEM (triangular) and then a thin curved tube comes between the pipes to get a Rizoma plate holder. Black coated.
You dont see the suport and is secure.
Previously I tried something like the one you post and the bolts gone after some days and vibration.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are a few pics of how I mounted the rear turn signals inside the tail. Nothing fancy...I used the same sheet of aluminum I used for the license plate bracket and cut 2 small brackets about 3/4" x 2". I drilled a hole in each end and bolted the new blinkers to 1 end and at the other end it is bolted to the exhaust brackets. The turn signals cost me 15.99 at Cycle Gear and they allow plenty of clearance for the tail section to be raised and lowered.

The pics aren't very good but I think you'll get the idea.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts