MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or exhilirating unpredictability? Yes, this should be a poll.

The unbearable lightness of being: will an MV figure in the results?

·
Registered
461 Posts
A bike that makes me smile every time I ride; a bike that always lures me into looking at it every time it I go into the garage; a bike that keeps me on my toes and one that draws admiring looks from people who recognise what goes into making a great bike.

In other words any MV Agusta, despite some, if not all, the pitfalls of ownership, all of which I consider to be character building for the owner!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
some of your recent posts have been rather cryptic. I can't tell whether you love your new bike or are thinking of changing brands. I still think your new bike is gorgeous.

The only thing I will say is italian bike owners put up with a lot of issues for looks and exclusivity.

I guess it depends on whether you see a motorcycle as a tool to get from point a to point b as fast as possible, or as a work of art to be admired.

In the end they are all metal and plastic in my eyes. It's a machine, not a woman. If I treat it too much like art I am afraid of even getting it out and using it for its inteded purpose. As a machine it needs to do it's job first and foremost....not just look pretty. That comes once it fulfills its primary responsibility.

·
Registered
112 Posts
A bike that makes me smile every time I ride; a bike that always lures me into looking at it every time it I go into the garage;
+1
It should stir your soul and make you smile or even laugh out loud inside your helmet. As much as I love my jap bike.... Sometimes it feels like a "tool" compared to an MV or Ducati. I would find myself laughing when riding my Brutale.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
One which every time I look at it I see beauty and art. It should handle as though it's an extension of myself and goes where my mind wants it to. Enough power to be a bit more than I will ever use. Reliable to the point that I have to fix the OCCASIONAL problem that arises but not a hanger queen. And when I ride it I'd like to come home with a smile in my gut 80-90% of the time.

I would also like minimum electronic crap and fancy dancy goodies that think for me. I much prefer using my own head thank you very much. Simple is always better.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I don't know but reading this has made me put down my workstuff and I'm heading to the garage to take the F4 out for a spin down the lanes : ) ) )

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know now. It's when you get off the bike after a ride and think " Blimey !!! "
joe

+1!

Rider aids? A bike with even more horsepower that's tamed by sophisiticated electronic wizardry? And ugly or unremarkable as h*ll.

Why, what do you achieve? Faster lap times on a trackday? OK, that must be it then.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
+1!

Rider aids? A bike with even more horsepower that's tamed by sophisiticated electronic wizardry? And ugly or unremarkable as h*ll.

Why, what do you achieve? Faster lap times on a trackday? OK, that must be it then.
Now what if MV (or better yet, when MV) offers a version of the F4 with higher HP and all the electronics?

I can do long division by hand, but I'd rather pick up a calculator.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't get your answer Mike. Care to expand?
The attraction of bike riding for me is in the emotion it evokes; looking at the thing and riding it. "Faster" is an irrelevancy, certainly at my age.

I like my first MV, an F4 1000S, just as much as the later, faster ones. The 312R I like best though, that coughing, stuttering slightly unpredictable EBS, particularly when the engine's hot...

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Now what if MV (or better yet, when MV) offers a version of the F4 with higher HP and all the electronics?

I can do long division by hand, but I'd rather pick up a calculator.
If I had to buy a new F4 now, I'd probably wait for the F4R slightly detuned CorsaCorte. White/black.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If I had to by a new F4 now, I'd probably wait for the F4R slightly detuned CorsaCorte. White/black.
That is a nice color and probably the one I would take as well if not for the plastic gas tanks.
I'm thinking I am going to keep an eye out for a senna to add at some point. That is my fav color scheme of the old design.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
here is a hypothetical question I was thinking about.

If MV didn't exist.....

What if one of the big 4 japanese brands produced the F4. Same special editions, same price, same parts, same ride, same look as current and past F4 bikes. Only difference is they are mass produced and you might see a few more on the road.

Would you still own one?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

If MV didn't exist.....

What if one of the big 4 japanese brands produced the F4. Same special editions, same price, same parts, same ride, same look as current and past F4 bikes. Only difference is they are mass produced and you might see a few more on the road.

Would you still own one?
interesting question! Although, you say they are the same price.......im not sure they would be 'mass produced' like many of the zxgsxrs are becuase of that price. MV's are rare simply because there are other bikes which offer same performance for less $$$$ and also have less problems, and because they are priced slightly out of a lot of peoples budgets. We own MV's because its more then just a bike that goes quickly. Its got character, it evokes emotions and its involving, even if that involvement means changing fuses at the side of the road etc.
Im trying to think of an example of a car or bike, or even product that fits your question........
im sure there is one, i just cant think of it right now.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts

If MV didn't exist.....

Would you still own one?
It was probably named Cagiva or Ducati or even Bimota as where it's creator comes from

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

If MV didn't exist.....

Would you still own one?
I would as exclusivity is nice but not really high on my list for buying a motorcycle. Overall looks on the other hand is.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
one straight answer so far...you other guys are dodging the question! Thanks asm

I still would for sure. Even if they didn't cost as much. After all what has really changed? Still the bike you love. Who cares if you see some others while you are out riding it?

I guess that kind of goes back to how some people want MV to thrive and not have to sell the business again, but at the same time, not be too successful. Interesting observation.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts