sideways at 170mph on the banking at Daytona '75

he's lying there with;

shattered left leg, smashed thigh, 6 broken ribs, a broken wrist, and a
broken collarbone.

I miss you Bazza

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Noel......I'm thinking it was intended as a joke.

·
King of Bling
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you idiots......here's the previous picture;

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/images/sheenecrash.jpg

sideways at 170mph on the banking at Daytona '75

he's lying there with;

shattered left leg, smashed thigh, 6 broken ribs, a broken wrist, and a
broken collarbone.

I miss you Bazza
Noel..

If you knew Barry Sheene so well, why did you think this picture was from his Daytona crash.. It wasn't..

Here is a clip from the actual crash and you can see he is wearing different leathers..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGOd1U2ZBhA

I once met Gary Nixon at a Triumph owners club meeting and I asked him about Barry Sheene and his approach to racing, considering both men have had some mighty off's during their career.

Gary gave me one of Barry’s quotes which says it all: “This is not racing, it’s a suicide mission”.

By the way, Barry died of cancer as you know, and not from falling off a bike..

Cheers for turning what could have been a fun thread into a tribute to your apparent friendship with Barry. Nice one Noel.

This picture was from the same event as the initial image.. I'm not 100% sure which circuit it was taken, but it could have been Brands Hatch...

Note the racing leather’s design.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
FWIW

When good ole 'Bazza' binned it 'Good Style' at Daytona he was riding a XR11 TR 750 (3 cylinder) Suzuki. In the pictures that John has posted he is wearing different leathers and is indeed riding an RG 500 (4 cylinder) Suzuki.

Johns 2 pix are of the exact same period and very likely the same season, whereas Noels pic is far earlier.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I understand your compassion for a motorcyclist that gets hurt or even looses his life, Noel, I respect that, but a joke about a situation with Barry Sheene here on the ground, after a crash, many years ago, with no visible injuries, without his bike, can make you go in both directions - feel compassion for the man (I do too..) or/and make a joke about it! It´s inevitable, if you realize that everything in life has both sides - the funny side and the serious side.
After 8 years of having had a bad bike crash myself, I can laugh about it now, even remembering all the pain and suffering I went through. That´s how I see it. And the Brutale joke was just waiting to pop up. Sorry, But I thought it was hilarious!

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
FWIW

When good ole 'Bazza' binned it 'Good Style' at Daytona he was riding a XR11 TR 750 (3 cylinder) Suzuki. In the pictures that John has posted he is wearing different leathers and is indeed riding an RG 500 (4 cylinder) Suzuki.

Johns 2 pix are of the exact same period and very likely the same season, whereas Noels pic is far earlier.
Ade;
watch John's Daytona video, my picture is a stop action out of it.......

yes, he was riding a 'water buffalo' at Daytona, as he was 6 weeks later at the Hockenheim F-750 race, he poled, we were the middle of the front row next to Tepi......who knows how he got his leathers over that back brace......

·
King of Bling
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a picture of Sheene on the day of the crash at Daytona..

You can see from the picture he was wearing different leathers from the image I posted at the start of this thread..

Anyhow, it doesn't really matter as this thread has lost it's shine and is dead in the water..

Noel... Sheene's old mechanic Nigel Everett is my mates neighbour down in Haywards Heath near Crawley.. If you like, PM me you’re home number, I can pass it onto Nigel and you guys can catch up on old times..

Nigel is still doing restorations on RG500’s and other two strokes..

Last time I met him, to told me he was contemplating on making a small batch of RG500 replica’s.. I don’t know if he was serious, but if anyone could pull it off, then Nigel is The Man..

Attachments

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Here is a picture of Sheene on the day of the crash at Daytona..

You can see from the picture he was wearing different leathers from the image I posted at the start of this thread..

Anyhow, it doesn't really matter as this thread has lost it's shine and is dead in the water..

Noel... Sheene's old mechanic Nigel Everett is my mates neighbour down in Haywards Heath near Crawley.. If you like, PM me you’re home number, I can pass it onto Nigel and you guys can catch up on old times..

Nigel is still doing restorations on RG500’s and other two strokes..

Last time I met him, to told me he was contemplating on making a small batch of RG500 replica’s.. I don’t know if he was serious, but if anyone could pull it off, then Nigel is The Man..

Nice gesture John:)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

Hey! I didn't know it was Barry and Suzuki that started that two-up bike thing.
Here I've thought all along it was Randy and Ducati... :stickpoke

·
King of Bling
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Hey! I didn't know it was Barry and Suzuki that started that two-up bike thing.
Here I've thought all along it was Randy and Ducati... :stickpoke
You're right Stephen, It does look like they're two up :).

So what do you think of this shot ?

Attachments

·
Registered
837 Posts
What do you think was going through Barry Sheene's mind when this pic was taken ?

"Ouch! Fu**ing OUCH!"

"I wish I hadn't had that last bottle of Champers last night"

"When Henry told me to 'Splash it all over' perhaps this wasn't quite what he meant .... "

:naughty:

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
What do you think was going through Barry Sheene's mind when this pic was taken ?

"Ouch! Fu**ing OUCH!"

"I wish I hadn't had that last bottle of Champers last night"

"When Henry told me to 'Splash it all over' perhaps this wasn't quite what he meant .... "

:naughty:

Are you quite sure he wasn't just celebrating? It was KR behind him after all!

·
Registered
837 Posts
First rule of UK journalism - Never let truth get in the way of a good story!!

Hey Ade, it's just twigged you're back! Assuming you're the REAL Ade, that is ........

1 - 20 of 22 Posts