MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Hi Qwandree,

On my side using a Givi tankbag with a tanklock system. Only "problem" is that I need to remove the tankbag to be able to put the key in, and when the tankbag is on, it is quite difficult to access the key to switch it on. But the mecanism to lock/unlock the tankbag is very practical so it's not too much an issue.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Like Marc I use a Givi Tanklock tank-bag, mine is the ST 602 model, not particularly large but adequate for for day t day essentials like phone, first aid kit, puncture repair kit, glasses etc. As I normally ride with panniers fitted anyway I'm not too concerned that it doesn't have enough room for waterproofs. It's size means that there's a clear view of the instruments and it just clears my sat nav on full lock.

Access to the ignition key, as mentioned by Marc, is restricted with the bag in place but the tanklock system makes it very easy to remove the bag reach it, yet secure once in place, it's hardly an inconvenience.

·
Registered
866 Posts
My tank bags are XS306 (25 liters) and XS307 (15 liters). Both works fine, but they look ugly on the bike, but once on the bike, I don't care (I can't see how ugly it is): what was important to me is to increase the luggage capacity and being able to do some light travelling without the need for the paniers. The small one is really too small for this, while the 25 liters model is more than fine. I have proper vision on the clocks, and the tankbag do not disturb anything, even a phone mounted on the side on the handlebar (which I do sometime when I don't want to use the Zumo).

Ultimately, the size you need depend of the use you have for it. When I go to work with the bike, generally, it is without the paniers, and the 25 liters tankbag is loaded with my Surface Pro 4, my work clothes and shoes, and there is still plenty of room left: I should be able to do a full weekend just with this one (including the sleep bag).

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use a givi tanklock XS308 and I find this is the right tankbag as its shape follows the curve of the tank, and useful volume allow you to embedded all necessary stuff !

·
Registered
47 Posts
Givi Tanklock XS306 25 litre, same minor issues as above but works for me.
Enough room for waterproofs and full size camera + puncture repair kit/ bottle water with space to spare for those small essentials.

The above bag has worked on last 3 bikes as well, so IMHO good value too.

You can get rings of varying heights, I found the 20mm ring would clear the key...............just.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Givi XS306 here too! Very pleased with this bag. Has used it to 3 and 4 day roadtrips fully loaded with no problem whatsoever. Givi states 2kg max load but I have filled it x3 plus me resting on it while riding on highway straights. Tanklock system is superb.

·
Registered
866 Posts
My wife just took the XS307 (15 liters) for her Street Triple. I use now exclusively the XS306 (25 liters).

I changed recently my jacket for Dainese one, and it do not have any inside pockets (while my previous jecket had a few), and as a result, I need to find a smaller tankbag for trips that don't last more than few hours. And also noticed that I have a small issue with the XS306. It's a bit big, and once I have all my stuff inside, I struggle to find my wallet or my phone.

A smaller XS319 may fit both purpose :
- having my minimal stuff (phones, wallet, sun glasses, microfiber to clean my visor, and a 0.5 liter of water bottle) for the short trips
- having a closed box in the XS 306 where I can find my key elements

If anyone of you use a XS319, could you please confirm this is making it for the first point?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the XS319. Just the right size for a day trip. I keep my puncture repair kit, mini compressor, glasses case, multitool, small spray bottle for cleaning visor and microfiber. I can also fit my GPS in the bag as well when I am off the bike. They do the 4L bag as well which I might buy for touring.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
As stated above I have the ST 602 4 litre tanklock bag. It's great for the bits that @mickr69 mentioned and looks good on the bike. However I've just taken delivery of an XS307 for more capacity whilst on tour. Needed to move the locking ring to the most forward position and it still just works with my Garmin Zumo 590 which contacts the bag a little on full left lock. The release catch is now not that accessible so I'm going to drill that and add a para-cord pull to it. As Marc says, it's not great in the looks department but practical.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have the XS319. Just the right size for a day trip. I keep my puncture repair kit, mini compressor, glasses case, multitool, small spray bottle for cleaning visor and microfiber. I can also fit my GPS in the bag as well when I am off the bike. They do the 4L bag as well which I might buy for touring.
It seems good to go for my use case, then... I find the givi system quite practical, and having the possibility to play with multiple size tank bags is also something quite practical...

However I've just taken delivery of an XS307 for more capacity whilst on tour. Needed to move the locking ring to the most forward position and it still just works with my Garmin Zumo 590 which contacts the bag a little on full left lock. The release catch is now not that accessible so I'm going to drill that and add a para-cord pull to it. As Marc says, it's not great in the looks department but practical.
I did noticed this while using my phone set on a quadlock support fixed on a ram mount ball. Changed the shorter ram arm by the middle size one, and don't have the issue anymore. However, your Zumo 590 may be bigger than my phone...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I did noticed this while using my phone set on a quadlock support fixed on a ram mount ball. Changed the shorter ram arm by the middle size one, and don't have the issue anymore. However, your Zumo 590 may be bigger than my phone...
I have a collection of RAM parts and changed to a medium arm for the XS307. I previously used two short arms and a double ball piece. Might experiment to try and optimise the position of the GPS further if I find the time on Tuesday before heading off for Normandy. Weekend is taken up with family activities, a little unfair of me to spend it tinkering with the bike, not that I have my balls in a vice or anything :rolleyes: :D

The Zumo 590 is pretty large so it's something of a compromise trying to fit that in along with a tank bag.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have a collection of RAM parts and changed to a medium arm for the XS307. I previously used two short arms and a double ball piece. Might experiment to try and optimise the position of the GPS further if I find the time on Tuesday before heading off for Normandy. Weekend is taken up with family activities, a little unfair of me to spend it tinkering with the bike, not that I have my balls in a vice or anything :rolleyes: :D

The Zumo 590 is pretty large so it's something of a compromise trying to fit that in along with a tank bag.
As said in another post, the GPS positioned above the clocks and you wont' have the issue anymore. However, you will have to stop the bike to move the screen (I can move it up without stopping, but it's not really easy, and I would not consider it safe, and I also can move it down but it's even more difficult). I still have the RAM ball that I use sometime with the phone and waze or another app on the phone (maybe overkill to have 2 GPS, but may save you if the Zumo stops working - don't know why, but I have a lot of friends having their previous Garmin GPS as a spare in their luggage for the long trips).

By the way, a trick to move the key with the XS306/XS307 is to pass the hand under the handlebar between the supports. It's even easier than to turn the handlebar to access the key...

·
Registered
51 Posts
What's in your tank (bag)?

I've started riding in the country about an hour outside of Houston as some of you guys have seen in my posts and it's pretty lonely out there. It hasn't occurred to me yet to take a puncture repair kit and a mini compressor as indicated above and is being carried in a tank bag. What would you guys recommend as a puncture kit and compressor that I should use? I think I'll add that either to my panniers or to a tank bag?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I've got a Givi 3D603 bag, just the small 4ltr one but it's ideal for the few essentials as said. Also it's material and design matched exactly to the Stradales panniers (also made by Givi) so set it all off quite nicely. I also hooked up a twin USB socket inside the bag with a wire to the battery charge point so I could power my phone and use it as a satnav. Again it does make it tricky to access the key but easy enough to un clip.

Sold the Stradale now, chop it in on Tuesday for a new Z1000SX, keeping the tank bag though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
What would you guys recommend as a puncture kit and compressor that I should use?
I have a Stop & Go pocket tyre plugger kit.

https://www.stopngo.com/

I don't carry a compressor but five of those Sparklets type CO2 cartridges with a tyre valve adapter. These fit neatly into an old zip up compact camera case, much smaller than a compressor. These should be enough to get me to a forecourt with an airline.

Most punctures that are repairable the object will stay in the tyre and pressure loss will be minimal giving you the chance to ride to an airline. Bigger holes or cuts are usually beyond roadside repair.

If you scroll down on the page linked to above you'll see the kit I have as well as another that includes a mini compressor. Will take up more space though.

I've only used the plugger kit on the car, a very effective repair to a rear tyre. Not recommended but I've left it in, 4000 miles later no issues or loss of pressure.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I use a kit called Stop and Go pocket tire plugger. Had to use it a couple of times and worked well. Compressors? I have a couple but most of them do the job.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have to agree with the majority of you I run the givi tank lock system on both bikes and it's superb you won't go wrong!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a Stop & Go pocket tyre plugger kit.

https://www.stopngo.com/

I don't carry a compressor but five of those Sparklets type CO2 cartridges with a tyre valve adapter. These fit neatly into an old zip up compact camera case, much smaller than a compressor. These should be enough to get me to a forecourt with an airline.

Most punctures that are repairable the object will stay in the tyre and pressure loss will be minimal giving you the chance to ride to an airline. Bigger holes or cuts are usually beyond roadside repair.

If you scroll down on the page linked to above you'll see the kit I have as well as another that includes a mini compressor. Will take up more space though.

I've only used the plugger kit on the car, a very effective repair to a rear tyre. Not recommended but I've left it in, 4000 miles later no issues or loss of pressure.
Based on Bumpkin's review I bought the Givi bag and the stopngo patch kit with the CO2 canisters. It looks like a good solution and I'll let you know if I see anything that I would like differently once it gets here. Thanks for your help guys

1 - 20 of 34 Posts