MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Heres a link to a cycle world article just posted:

Looks like the right direction for the latest pendulum swing for ADV bikes, and thats good news! I prefer to be on dirt with something I can pick up. 412lbs>550lbs. Much like 'overlanding' in a F750 there will always be a place for the massive battleships to cruise the streets and look the part but, I for one, am happy to see honest, light, capable ADV bikes coming back:)

Wheel Tire Helmet Motorcycle helmet Vehicle

I just rode a Tenere 1200 (575lbs) for 2650 miles in 10 days and it was perfectly fine on the street, as I'm sure the Bimmer is. But those are rode bikes engineered for pavement. Yes the GSA too. Tubeless spokes do not make a dirt bike. For me, an "adventure" bike has to be capable to more than the maybe 6 professionals that can wrestle them around inappropriate places on You Tube videos.

1) Dependable. Everything breaks, so any required dealer network/cell signal/credit card/helicopter rescue< repairable with sticks and a rock. I have found the MV 800 triple to be very dependable and repairable. Failures are rare (although very, very, loudly presented) and a less 'high-strung' version should be more so.

2) Useable. I don't want to feel restricted to only fire roads on my 850lb loaded tanker. Not breaking ME as I inevitably go down and ability to pick it up to continue is paramount. The SCS clutch is a perfect fit for a light ADV and well R&D'd already!

3) Fun! I would like to travel long distances away from people while adventuring, without wrestling a beast of a 150hp 850lb thing that leaves me stressed and panting at the end of the day.

Of course the Lucky gets bonus points for looks:love: as does the Norden, but thats a little farther down the list. The Tribe I meet in the Sahara won't care.🤩

·
Registered
487 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
no mv agusta branding on it at all other than the this cover
very strange. i know its a prototype and wont be available till de 23, but will it be ca cagiva or mv agusta. There was so much talk about the cagiva brand coming back to do ebikes, then mv did it, and now do e scooters, so is cagiva coming back?>

Attachments

Reactions: Cooter!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Desert X looks much better I agree. I don’t think ADV bikes are nonsense, they are not bikes for me maybe but there is a huge market and if MVA can make some profits there then I think they should try. Remember how SUVs changed the market in last 20 years? Some brands were saved by entering SUV segment even though their hard core customers opposed it. And btw. I think these concepts are way to heavy to be competitive. Market needs light adv/dual sport models. KTM/Husky will dominate this segment with future 450/500 adv models like Norden from Husky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Really good point. MV loves their logo almost as much as Harley does. Things that make you go Hmmmm....
That's because it's suppose to be a Cagiva isn't it?? That's what I've read. Thank God for that too because I think this is an abomination. Let Cagiva get the bad name. Like Datsun and Nissan. With one slight exception.... Datsun wasn't a Chinese made version of an already existing model of a Honda Africa twin!!

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's because it's suppose to be a Cagiva isn't it?? That's what I've read. Thank God for that too because I think this is an abomination. Let Cagiva get the bad name. Like Datsun and Nissan. With one slight exception.... Datsun wasn't a Chinese made version of an already existing model of a Honda Africa twin!!

I think it's more a blink to the brand heritage (Cagiva Elefant Lucky Explorer from the late 80's early 90's). Were Hubert Auriol took the Elefant to the dakar rally and won.

See Harry's explanation.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I think it's more a blink to the brand heritage (Cagiva Elefant Lucky Explorer from the late 80's early 90's). Were Hubert Auriol took the Elefant to the dakar rally and won.

See Harry's explanation.
Yes I understand it's lineage but that doesn't mean that it doesn't heavily remind me of modern Honda. I'm not an ADV guy so I guess you could say my opinion doesn't matter....but I did think that some of the renders of an ADV TVL looked interesting. I was hoping MV would spend the money to revamp the TV and create an adventure version based on that. That would create more sales.

Take Ford for example. They chose to use the mustang name for the mach-E because everyone knew the name. This in turn would drive up sales because it's familiar but new at the same time. My point is that winning the Dakar is , in my opinion, just not enough history to bring in enough new sales.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts