MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I turn to you for all of your years of wisdom and experience.
I just bought a basically brand new 2005 F4 1000 S and I know I'm getting a racing water pump and aluminum fans but do I need a microtec ECU to kick the fan on sooner? What else can I do to keep her from hitting 220F in traffic. I avoid it at all costs but sometimes you can't help it. I really am a street bike newb and I could use all the help I can get. Also, is a cat delete and exhaust system going to net any gains or just heat my bike up further. Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate, show some pics of the bike when you can. There's a few options available for the type of ECU used on your bike, it can be sorted by using a well tuned EPROM chip, or the Microtec, all depends on your budged and how much you'd like to get out of it.
A decat will help with the heat, definitely a good thing. Have a read through the performance section as well as customising section for more tips.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Don't panic about upgrading.
Jesus Christ ride the bike, get used to it and have fun.
Ottawa doesn't sound like it being so hot as Arizona.
If You really experience over heating than You can still fix it in the winter.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The microtec ECU is an extremely expensive way to get the fans to kick in earlier, if you are concerned about city/slow riding, then consider a simple fan override switch. Should cost about 5% of the cost of the microtec ECU fitted and dyno set up, virtually nothing if you can fit the switch yourself.

I hit my fan switch as soon as I slow to less than 40mph in town/city, works a treat! The pump and alloy fans should along with actually turning the fans on, be all you need to do.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the input guys. I like the manual override switch idea. Any pics of where you guys have it mounted? And how it looks?

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
In my opinion the Microtec is not just a system to allow the fans to switch on at a lower temp.
It is an incredibly advanced ECU that will transform the fueling & therefore the performance of your bike - a bonus is that you can set the temp that the fans switch on.

More from The Knurl on this shortly, I'm sure.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Guys I turn to you for all of your years of wisdom and experience.
I just bought a basically brand new 2005 F4 1000 S and I know I'm getting a racing water pump and aluminum fans but do I need a microtec ECU to kick the fan on sooner? What else can I do to keep her from hitting 220F in traffic. I avoid it at all costs but sometimes you can't help it. I really am a street bike newb and I could use all the help I can get. Also, is a cat delete and exhaust system going to net any gains or just heat my bike up further. Thanks guys.
Welcome to the forum. The thing you need for an F4 is a long and winding road.
If we want to commute through downtown..get a Honda Melody ; )
When these bikes are used for their true purpose ie giving them the beans out on the twisties..they dont overheat...Try it.

Joe:smoking:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm fairly new to the MV Agusta family and this is something that I focused on from the beginning. On researching the issue I found that there are quite a few things that can be done and they vary in $$$ outlay considerably. So it depends on how fat your wallet is. I have chosen through necessity to start small and work upwards depending on effect.
On purchase, my bike already had aluminium fans and engine ice. I have installed the manual switch which is a very simple and clean fit and works well. The other small thing I've done is remove the silver mesh bits that infill the openings at the rear of the fairing(don't know if your bike/model has these) to allow the air to move completely unrestricted over the engine and out. I'm working towards the De-cat idea.
I also will work towards heat wrapping the exhausts in different spots like the headers to reduce heat at the front of engine. (thanks Donsy for that one).
My first summer with the MV is approaching so these relatively inexpensive mods will be put to the test but I agree with Joe, these bikes are meant to be ridden at pace and are quite a round peg in a square hole when ridden in a city environment.

Steve

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
You need to buy a Brutale to improve your image.......:stickpoke

It doesn't run hot, and the chicks dig Brutie riders. It's a scientific fact.

:naughty:

(Welcome to the forum)

·
Registered
14,489 Posts
overheating?

Welcome to the forum. The thing you need for an F4 is a long and winding road.
If we want to commute through downtown..get a Honda Melody ; )
When these bikes are used for their true purpose ie giving them the beans out on the twisties..they don't overheat...Try it.

Joe:smoking:
MVs are street bikes not race bikes.....get over it

its ~25 mi to the twisties through city traffic......what am I supposed to do trailer the POS there?????

AusMV312;
get Adam's (merc07) software, its free......you have to buy the cables,
change the fan switch on point to 85C, use Adam's ignition map and fuel maps.....

done, costs you some cables

have your head and mid pipes ceramic coated.......way less trouble than wrap....

real race bikes on the street......

Henry Louie's daily driver, yes, EVERY DAY to the shop......and that POS will pull 375HP on anybody's dyno.... you think it overheats??????

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/cinema/suzukiturbo1.mov

Henry Louie? President of Southern California Timing Association
you know the people that RUN Bonneville :naughty::naughty:

my friend JW rode Henry's bike to a 2 way average of 208.xxx on wet salt......at Mile 5 he was rooster tailing salt 20 ft in the air.....and they data logged either 37 or 57MPH of wheel spin at 208.xxx, sorry I don't remember which.......yes, JW has balls

·
Registered
180 Posts
MVs are street bikes not race bikes.....get over it

its ~25 mi to the twisties through city traffic......what am I supposed to do trailer the POS there?????

AusMV312;
get Adam's (merc07) software, its free......you have to buy the cables,
change the fan switch on point to 85C, use Adam's ignition map and fuel maps.....

done, costs you some cables

have your head and mid pipes ceramic coated.......way less trouble than wrap....

real race bikes on the street......

Henry Louie's daily driver, yes, EVERY DAY to the shop......and that POS will pull 375HP on anybody's dyno.... you think it overheats??????

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/cinema/suzukiturbo1.mov

Henry Louie? President of Southern California Timing Association
you know the people that RUN Bonneville :naughty::naughty:

my friend JW rode Henry's bike to a 2 way average of 208.xxx on wet salt......at Mile 5 he was rooster tailing salt 20 ft in the air.....and they data logged either 37 or 57MPH of wheel spin at 208.xxx, sorry I don't remember which.......yes, JW has balls
Hey Noel,
I had a bit of a read of merco7's post on that software stuff a while back it is a foreign language to me as I have come from a 16 year relationship with a '93 900ss.
If I went down that road I would be going totally into the unknown. You make it sound pretty easy.....do you just plug it in to your laptop and away you go?(I have an '08 312r) Or can you really #*ck it up if you're not careful?
The ignition and fuel map??? will that also make the bike run sweeter?

Love your attitude mate:smoking:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Swiss,

In Canada overheating may NOT be an issue. Not sure you need to do much to that bike.

But read the forum this off season and post up questions. Unless you are having issues or the bike has a problem, I recommend NOT screwing with these machines JUST for the sake of doing something.
Cosmetically making it yours is fine. But these bikes generally are fine out of the box.

Post up ...

Peter

·
Super Moderator
22,312 Posts
@AusMV312....Merc07 is dealing with the 1.6M ECU. Your 312R has the 5SM and it is a completely different animal.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Contrary to popular belief it gets very hot in Canada in the summer. Like 30 degrees + humidity hot on Avg. I do my best to avoid any city traffic but sometimes you cannot. My gf is buying me the corsedesign racing waterpump for Christmas. I will install a manual push button switch to turn the fans on when I please and I will have it tuned with a power commander and a cat-delete...possibly a Bodis slip on system aswell. Should be good to go after all of that!

·
Registered
180 Posts
@AusMV312....Merc07 is dealing with the 1.6M ECU. Your 312R has the 5SM and it is a completely different animal.
Thanks for that. I was wondering whether that was the case

·
Registered
299 Posts
hi ther
got 55.000kms withh an 05 f4 1000s
ridden in spring summer and autumn, commuting , fast roads and italian
towns and citys , when it runs hot, the fans switch on till it cooled down
never a issue..
so what the problem??
FORGET all that bullshit about improving waterpumps and fans..
you really thinhk they would sell a bike that melts down when it s hot??
there is such thing as a 2 year warranty..shoreley they would have a massive recall over that..and to my knowledge this was never a problem..
cheers
Peter

1 - 20 of 21 Posts