MV Agusta Forum banner

4961 - 4980 of 4986 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Last week I took the MV SR out of winter storage, remounted the battery, and as usual she started up at the first press of the starter button ... But, alas... all was not well :( While warming up slowly, a strong smell of petrol fumes started emerging from the bike .... I continued the warm up, until I had a temp reading on the clock, then shut her down... I took off the side covers and when touching the fuel quick-connectors under the tank, my fingers came out covered in petrol, but only from the pressure side hose connector--- SO! Today I emptied the tank, took it off, and immediately the pressure side connector broke... I decided that now was the time for the complete Fuel system overhaul --- This afternoon the bottom plate was removed, which was a pain, since whoever worked on it last (Before I bought the bike) decided to not replace the nicked O-ring, but just glue the bottom plate in with copious amounts of silicone sealant ... That sort of "mechanic" should have a tender part of his anatomy removed with a pair of Click-R pliers! -- As bad as things were, both the tank flange and the bottom plate cleaned up nicely -- so this evening I mixed up my "special epoxy" for extra-heavy duty applications, my own brand of "chemical Metal" consisting of EC laminating epoxy mixed in with powdered stainless steel, high density glassfibre filler and Carbiso microcut carbon fibre -- This makes a paste that glues anything to anything (perhaps except Teflon) and can be worked to a very nice and very hard surface. This was applied in the prescribed manner to remove the O-ring cutting steps and recesses in the tank bottom flange -- Tomorrow I will file, dremel and sand the new edge down to provide the required smooth edge to avoid damaging the new Buna-N O-ring --

I had to destroy both the plastic connectors in the bottom plate to get them out - the white, pressure side connector broke immediately on even the slightest applied torque - The black return one came out, but only after cutting the top part down and getting a socket down over it -- The broken off white one came out with a large bolt extractor -- Both threads in the bottom plate remained in pefect condition :)

Next up is replacing the fuel filter and checking all the internal and external hoses -- so far they look like brand new and completely undamaged... I've certainly never seen a 15+ year old petrol tank that clean inside...

Then comes the wait for the new metal quick connectors .. If it takes too long and nice weather comes, I may falter and install some non-quick disconnect straight hose-barbs and go out riding... Or make someting out of Titanium or 7075 -T6 alu ..

·
Administrator
19,486 Posts
@DKDravis.... contact Chuck (@silentservice703) for your metal connectors and fuel hose...he has it all in stock and will provide at probably the best price you can get.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
New chain , sprockets and chassis side plates fitted with carbon protection, also made up new swingarm pivot point supports +/- 3mm (supports all the way through the chassis side plates)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Carbon chassis plates. 650gsm carbon fibre

Swingarm pivots, after trial fitting

I'll, do a chain pic tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
22,038 Posts
Well, NIgel, as that bike is Black and Anthracite, it should not have escaped your attention. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Well, NIgel, as that bike is Black and Anthracite, it should not have escaped your attention. :ROFLMAO:
Well, this one hasn't. In UK terms £1,000 overpriced. BUT, condition is unquestioned.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Today, I got the bike out of the garage, I started all of them (it is a duty to start the Monster at least once every 2 weeks to make the timing belts moving) to check everything was fine. Then I got the Monster and Street Triple back in the garage, and then searched why the beamers on the TV did not work anymore: unmounted the fairing, checked the fuse, and then found the reason. One of the contacts of a AMP Superseal connector had moved (probably because I did not mount it correctly in first place). Replaced it correctly this time, and checked everything is fine before mounting fairing back on the bike. The bike is now back in the garage, and everything is ready for when the confinment is over (currently targeted for May 11th in France)...

·
Registered
149 Posts
All this good weather is just sooo tempting so thought I'd take the bike out for 10 minutes, which was brought swiftly to a stop by the police.

Admittedly it was the lawn police in the form of wife Rita, and only after two laps of the garden I was then confined back to the man cave, whereupon I applied some more polish ontop of the existing polish, and took an angle grinder to parts of the bike (seriously) - just adding lightness....

Stay safe everyone, the day will come when we are eventually free to venture out again.

·
Super Moderator
22,038 Posts
Now that is funny!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Installed new sprag clutch, motolectrical battery leads and installed mwr air filter.
The sprag clutch replacement was easier than I anticipated, but still some awkward moments getting to the rear two bolts of the sprag cover.
So back to riding the Mv to work. And working up the courage to do the 24 K valves clearance check next.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Installed one new fuel hose with metal fitting. Put tank back on. And put on a little bling. Went for test ride!! Gorgeous day! Hope all are well!

Attachments

4961 - 4980 of 4986 Posts