4881 - 4900 of 4917 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,435 Posts
Ben, that's why we are all addicted....:brutale:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sunday I cleaned the left fork seal as it was weeping. Looks like I got it to stop leaking by cleaning out some crud. I guess bug guts..?

Rode her to work today for the first time in a while, boy did I miss her. Shame rainy season is approaching.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
A day for moto ergonomics.

1. FBF rear set adjustment in relation to the shifter and rear brake and body position.
2. Ride height fine-tuning for urban riding
3. Adjusted suspension front and rear
4. Handlebar swap from black back to original silver along with degree changes
  • Slight bend froward
  • Slight bend downward
  • Quality controlled using templates and a jig
5. Adjusted hand lever angles, pull and spacing
6. Removed positioning pins.
7. Remounted/repositioned all controls
8. Remounted bar ends with lane splitters
9. Tested
10. Fine-tuned
11. Tested again

All the ergonomic minutiae add up to more natural use of this Brutale. :grin2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
This weekend I upgraded the clutch slave cylinder, as many have done before, for better feel and less effort. Lately I’ve been commuting with the MV, but with that comes the (clutch) hand-cramping of rush hour crawls, 5 days a week. Something had to be done.

So I bought the Oberon version from Design Corse, discounted on a holiday sale (USD84.73). They offer 3 brands (Oberon, CNC, MotoCorse), but not knowing what the tactile differences would be, I decided to start with the least expensive and see if I liked its feel.

The installation and bleeding routine were straight forward and uneventful, so I won’t bother with the details. But I will offer one unscripted tip, to have a rubber mallet on hand for coaxing the cylinder out of a slightly corroded bore.

For brake fluid, I just bought a DOT4 with the highest boiling point (509°F)/wet boiling point (338°F) the parts store had in stock: Pentosin DOT4 LV. (I’ve never used or heard of this brand, but learned it’s an established German company that is the OEM provider of lubricants to most German automakers.)

After bleeding the system I had to wait an hour for my hand muscles to return to equilibrium, before having an accurate feeling if the install was an improvement. But I can now definitely tell there is better response to the clutch and with noticeably less effort, which will make a big difference during my slow-speed commutes. Overall, very happy with the outcome.

Next weekend might be water pump upgrade and silicone hoses…if the Clic pliers arrive in time!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Mine passed its annual roadworthiness inspection today (MoT in UK).

Realised I'd done 380 miles on it last year, bringing it up to 7620 miles.

I really must learn to constrain myself!:grin2::grin2:

·
Super Moderator
21,435 Posts
I have that very same mallet in my tool box...and it has about the same amount of "abuse"!

I believe that was a Sears and Roebuck item many moons ago...great tool.

·
Administrator
18,843 Posts
I have that very same mallet in my tool box...and it has about the same amount of "abuse"!

I believe that was a Sears and Roebuck item many moons ago...great tool.
@silentservice703 yep it's a Craftsman, it's seen most of its use on old british convertibles. not always to fix them, but sometimes just to show them who's boss
I went through several of those "in the day".... Sears would replace the whole hammer for free when the plastic tips broke off. They didn't sell replacement tips.
I still have the "core" in my toolbox. Keeping for sentimental reasons I guess.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine passed its annual roadworthiness inspection today (MoT in UK).
Realised I'd done 380 miles on it last year, bringing it up to 7620 miles.

@nigelrb in Arizona, we don't have inspections except if a vehicle is being put back on the road after having a 'salvage' title assigned to it. There isn't even emissions testing on motorcycles anymore, there are so many (4+ wheeled) vehicles that the state can't keep up. Also recently, you can now renew your motorcycle registration for up to 4 years, instead of annually...which actually is more convenient for everyone. I'm not sure what the other states are like.

I went through several of those "in the day".... Sears would replace the whole hammer for free when the plastic tips broke off. They didn't sell replacement tips. I still have the "core" in my toolbox. Keeping for sentimental reasons I guess.

@esq'z me I understand. I have too many things I keep to re-purpose or use for "some day I'll need this". I think this year I will make an effort to unload and let go... (2020 is the year of clarity, right?)

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
. . . I have too many things I keep to re-purpose or use for "some day I'll need this". I think this year I will make an effort to unload and let go... (2020 is the year of clarity, right?)
Ooh, I share your stem cells. I am a classic for that.

Worst case was when wife number two found a stash of letters/photos etc of wife number one:surprise:.

Shame is that I didn't learn from it. I get the inspiration to have a clean out and 2 hours later have a pile that was to be binned, moved into another storage space (loft/attic) 'just in case'.:frown2::grin2:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Today everything lined up to do some work on my TVL. The weather was warm and sunny and my friend was available to help me out, and all the parts I had ordered were delivered.
1. We installed a Booster Plug. I had installed one on my Brutale and thought it smoothed the engine out at low speeds, so put one in the TVL.

2. The Hi and Low beams on this bike bugged me, when you turned on the hi beams the low went out instead of staying on and filling in the immediate area in front of the bike. Terry told me about a beam headlight adapter. I ordered one, and installed that as well. Works great, now when I put on the Hi beams the low stays on and you can see from right in front and up to about 50-60 feet away.

3. I had issues with my clutch since I bought the bike and the problem got worse over time. It was too snatchy and you could not feather it. It was like and on/off switch. I was not able to start the bike unless it was in neutral. You should be able to start it in gear if you pull the clutch. I would get an error code warning me about the " clutch switch" which would prevent me from being able to use the quickshifter. I had to turn off the engine an it would reset and clear the message, only to return.
I talked to a few people an while no one knew what was the actual problem was, the general consensus was the clutch actuator and or the " SENSORE PRESSIONE COMANDO FRIZIONE" so I ordered both parts and replaced them both as well as bleeding the fluid.
I wasn't able to take it on a long test ride, but the clutch is now acting like a normal clutch, I can go from a standing stop with no issues and the bike will start in gear when I pull in the clutch. I will see if I still get and error code, but it seems like the problems have been solved.

·
Registered
408 Posts
1. We installed a Booster Plug. I had installed one on my Brutale and thought it smoothed the engine out at low speeds, so put one in the TVL.
Was the booster plug application specific to TV? Never mind, I found it on their website.
When I checked with them in 2018. There was no application for our TVs.

However, I'm skeptical of "inline" F.I. solutions after having a bad experience with a dobeck product for my '06 Buell.
So please post your experience.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Was the booster plug application specific to TV? Never mind, I found it on their website.
When I checked with them in 2018. There was no application for our TVs.

However, I'm skeptical of "inline" F.I. solutions after having a bad experience with a dobeck product for my '06 Buell.
So please post your experience.
I actually talked to the guy he has them for all bikes, the TVL included. I first put one on my Brutale and it worked well, never any issues and made the engine run much smoother in low speeds, like Boston's rush hour traffic. At higher speeds the booster plug is not running the show. I then put one on my Street Triple, which runs pretty smooth at low speeds to begin with but was excellent off the line, again no issues. So now I have one in the TVL, since I didn't take it out for a test ride and I can't say there is much or any difference. The big issue I had was with the clutch and there was nothing smooth about it.
All that this device does is tell the ECU that the air temperature is about 20 degrees cooler, the result is the engine fueling is less lean.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
A nice day here in Philadelphia for a regional ride. I tested my heated grips with much success by wearing my normal leather Dainese Blackjack gloves. Grips are by Koso. Also, tested my newly designed one-off rear carbon hugger. Worked perfectly. My bike performed flawlessly even on damp cold roads.

4881 - 4900 of 4917 Posts