MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is more of a factor: number of heat cycles or number of miles?

Reason I ask is because I rode my 999 500 miles with one heat cycle (LA to Phoenix). Alternatively, it's taken me a month to get 500 miles on my MV with about 60 heat cycles. Would the MV have broken in faster because of the more frequent heat cycles?

Also, lets say I pass the 600 mile break in and can bring it up to the 11,000 redline. Am I taking a big chance if I rev to 11,000 before the first service/oil change or will the filter take care of any issues?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hi Allan,
You will no doubt get a hundred different opinions to this age old question....!
My thoughts would be the MV has had a better chance of being bedded in well and probably not been subject to binding, that is kept at a constant RPM or even worse a motor that was lagging in a too lower gear for the road speed.

If it were me I would not exceed the suggested rpm prior to the first oil change, and of course you can change oil/filter earlier than 600 miles

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
Also, lets say I pass the 600 mile break in and can bring it up to the 11,000 redline. Am I taking a big chance if I rev to 11,000 before the first service/oil change or will the filter take care of any issues?
Hi Allan, the handbook does say don't exceed 11,000 rpm in the second phase as it were. This is not the red line however, as you know there isn't a red line as such on the tacho but the red warning light should come on at 12,200 rpm and the rev limiter at 12,700 rpm

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I thought someone said that all MVs are started up at the factory, and maybe oil changed after that?

If this is the case, break in is practically non existant.

I'm not 100% sure on what the heat cycling is for, but I'm guessing the rings?

Your bike is broken in after the first 50 miles these days. The nikasil cylinder coating and machining of parts is so good that it doesn't take long.

Most of the "magic" of break in from the old days really isn't a factor anymore. Rings and cams are really the biggest part. But it doesn't take long for those things to create their working surfaces since manufacturing and machining is so good.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
acruhl said:
I thought someone said that all MVs are started up at the factory, and maybe oil changed after that?

If this is the case, break in is practically non existant.

I'm not 100% sure on what the heat cycling is for, but I'm guessing the rings?

Your bike is broken in after the first 50 miles these days. The nikasil cylinder coating and machining of parts is so good that it doesn't take long.

Most of the "magic" of break in from the old days really isn't a factor anymore. Rings and cams are really the biggest part. But it doesn't take long for those things to create their working surfaces since manufacturing and machining is so good.
I think "break in" is more about tyres and brakes than engines these days, as Acruhl says 50 miles to harden the white metal bearings, bed the rings and cams, also to allow slower speeds just in case anything is wrong with the bike, and to break the rider into the machine gradually so he is more used to the power when he finally opens the throttle 100% :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
mikef4uk said:
I think "break in" is more about tyres and brakes than engines these days, as Acruhl says 50 miles to harden the white metal bearings, bed the rings and cams, also to allow slower speeds just in case anything is wrong with the bike, and to break the rider into the machine gradually so he is more used to the power when he finally opens the throttle 100% :)
Heh, good point. I never thought about break in of the rider! The tires and brakes are a good point too. When I first got the MV, when the pads bedded in it was VERY obvious. I was stopping for a stop light and all the sudden it felt like the bike was on the nose! Heh.

I'm guessing "white metal" are the plain bearing inserts? That's the only thing I'm worried about during break in of my rebuilt Ducati right now... We got the clearance down to 16 ten-thousandths (.0016) on the rod bearings which is a little tighter than is recommended by some racers... We'll see...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Every MV motor is run for 20 minutes at high RPM in the factory, I have seen the photos of the set up, where the headers were glowing bright red!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a hard time believing that the engines are not broken in at the factory since they come with synthetic oil right out of the factory.

How delicate are the engines though if they have a 1600 mile break-in period?

·
Jason + Stanley Knife + D.I.Y = Casualty and
1,061 Posts
my
dealer told me i could run it in at no more than 11k for 600 miles then 1st service then ok to rev her all the way
as the bike is run in from the factory
altho i'm still a worrying fart and if it went bang how long would it take mv to reapir it under warrenty
just a thought

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is no data logger to tell them what RPM you ran.

And honestly, anything after 50 miles or so, if it hasn't broken by then, then it was very likely assembled right. Anything after that and it's some defect probably. Not your fault.

Obviously, you can hurt an engine. But if you have even a little bit of sense, it should last a while. Things are built pretty well these days and there's no excuses to be fragile anymore, from anyone.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm no expert in this but I don't think a chip in an S model would be able to log rpm but the ECU in the R's maybe able to do that.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have to be honest with you guys, this is the first time I haven't run-in a bike according to the manufacturers recs. I decided to try the Motoman technique which my friend has been subscribing to on all his bikes. I picked the bike up last Tues 10/3 and had it up to 9k within the 1st 8 miles. Up, down, up, down on the tach but all done very smoothly and shifting through the gears frequently. Rode the bike 20 miles home to my garage then let it sleep for the night. With just about 250 miles on the bike, I'm impressed with how smooth she runs and the very linear torque. Yes, it's true that they do run the motors at the factory. I'll be curious to see the dyno numbers after about 1000 miles.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think improper breaking won't be an issue at 500 miles or maybe even 10,000. I think it's waaay down the road that issues may start to appear.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Here you go, here is YOUR engine getting thrashed on the testbed :naughty:

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
Haven't been to the MV factory so I don't know what their SOP is, but I know VW/Audi run their engines on a similar set up at 2,500 rpm for several minutes to mate the cam and tappet surfaces. It is also an opportunity to quality check for gasket leaks. Not thrashing or proper break in for sure.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Ducatis get run on dyno up to speed of 135 mph and through the gears to check for power output and general operations. Moto Guzzi get a similar treatment plus run on a rooftop track.

Ever wonder if rental cars get proper break ins??? Think about that!!!

I did the Mototune method also and my bike is doing just fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts