MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
After a short ride I spray it with WD-40. then wipe as clean as possible, getting all excess. Keep rotating the rag to dry it well. Alternatively, I use a chain brush dipped in kerosene to scrub the crud, then wipe with clean rags. Every 3rd cleaning, I'll spray some of the PJ1 on it after the cleanng solvent dries overnight, follow up with a clean rag to remove excess PJ1.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Maxima > *

Minimal flingage. I used to commute 50 miles EACH WAY to work everyday rain or shine. Racked up 16K miles in 5 months... So I needed something that didn't fling much, stayed on the chain, and lubricated as well as protected in the rain.

I went from PJ1 to other various types of chain wax...Maxima worked out to be the best.

To this day, I still lube everyday and "CAKE" it on with 2-3 coats everyday....you would thing with the amount of lube buildup on there, it would fling like crazy...it hardly flings at all....

Put the bike on the rear stand, and put the kerosene in a windex bottle. Spray it on like there's no tomorrow, wipe, turn wheel, repeat. You don't want to spray it while turning the wheel cause then it gets on the sprocket teeth, and residuals stay on the chain....albeit, it will evaporate off eventually, if you were to apply Maxima directly afterwards without letting it set for a while, it would be like applying paint to an unprepped surface, it'll just come right off...

Or, you can do the two rag method...pour the kerosene onto one rag (or brush) and scrub/wipe...then take your other rag, and wipe dry...

Eitherway, just make sure you get all the kerosene off before you spray on the Maxima for best results....yes, I'm a stickler for that kinda detail shit

again,

Maxima > *

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Chain Oil from Repco but it flings off and then I gotta clean it again!!!

On the GSXR i used a white spray chain grease - much better!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I wash with kero first - everything even sprocket!
Dry with rag.
Wash with kero again.
Dry and then apply Chain Oil.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
falcopilot said:
After a short ride I spray it with WD-40. then wipe as clean as possible, getting all excess. Keep rotating the rag to dry it well. Alternatively, I use a chain brush dipped in kerosene to scrub the crud, then wipe with clean rags. Every 3rd cleaning, I'll spray some of the PJ1 on it after the cleanng solvent dries overnight, follow up with a clean rag to remove excess PJ1.
thanks for the great descriptive acount of your method
i appreciate it

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
51 Posts
WD-40 for cleaning and lubrication; been doing this for 30 years and never had to buy a new chain. The beautiful thing about WD-40 is their is no fling factor to contend with. Also, if you maintain your chain often with WD you wont need kerosene because thier wont be any built up crud. Later...... :friday:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
If you clean your chain often with anything, not just WD40, there won't be crud.

Also, the flinging isn't from what you're cleaning it with (it's not like a primer of sorts) unless it wasn't allowed to dry completely.

The fling factor is from the lube itself not necessarily it's properties altogether, but it's properties when heated up, as to how well it maintains itself. Most lubes fling like mad once the chain is warmed up, and heat from the engine warms it as well. Hence the reason, Maxima > *

·
Registered
304 Posts
i dont touch the chain at all...

maybe wipe it sometimes withthe rag...

modern chains have sealed o or x rings. All lube is inside.

So i think it's a waste of time...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Marc said:
WD-40 for cleaning and lubrication; been doing this for 30 years and never had to buy a new chain.
Wow, learn something new, every day. I thought that I had read that WD-40 is explicitly not recommended for MC chains. Something about it drying things out (does it have alcohol)? I concede that there is no better guidance than 30 years experience, though.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
SteveC said:
Wow, learn something new, every day. I thought that I had read that WD-40 is explicitly not recommended for MC chains. Something about it drying things out (does it have alcohol)? I concede that there is no better guidance than 30 years experience, though.

I use WD40 as a cleaner, but not on the chain itself.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
It takes me all of about 20 minutes to clean my chain....seriously...

Get the spray bottle of kerosene, or pour it in a bowl.

Spray it on. or dip this brush into it:

You can get the entire chain scrubbed in less than 5 minutes when on a rear stand.....

Let it dry, then wipe it dry to make sure everything is off. Then take Maxima and apply liberally. Go ride around for like 5 minutes to heat the chain up, come back and apply again so the lube is applied to a warm chain so it really seeps in. let the bike sit overnight to let the lube conpletely dry.

All that takes less than 20 minutes, INCLUDING the 5 minutes of riding....

·
Registered
375 Posts
WD40 is a mixture of Kerosene and light weight oil. It is fine to use as a cleaner if straight kerosene is not available. Kerosene / WD40 will NOT dry out the rubber O / X rings.

Now as far as the grease being inside the chain and rollers in concerned, this is true. The rubber rings seal the grease/lubrication inside.

HOWEVER,

these rubber seals/rings need modern chain lube to keep them supple and prevent them from drying out and breaking.

This is why a good chain cleaning and oiling schedule is important.

·
Registered
337 Posts
i have a grudge brush i purchased from a bicycle shop....i put degreaser in a cup, dip the brush in there, and with the bike on a stand spin the wheel several times to get the grime off.....followed by several spins to dry...

I have heard Keroscene is not a good product to use as it will destroy the seals....i don't know if that is fact of fiction.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts