MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I dropped my bike and have some scuffs on the bar end. For the most part, the clips feel straight and level but the handling feels just so slightly off. I'm not sure if it's the clips on or my imagination.

1) What signs that a clipon may be slightly bent?

2) Any way to test if it's bent?

3) How easily do the clipon bend? The service tech at Pro Italia said it was a hard to bend a clip on, however, when my 750 tipped over a few years ago, it was obvious the clip on was bent.

Lastly, sorry for all the thread regarding my tip over but your input's greatly appreciated. :(

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Might be hard to tell by eye, but turn the bar lock to lock and compare the clearance to the tank and bodywork on both sides.

The clip-ons have a little brass nipple that fits into the top triple tree which dictates the alignment of the clip-on assembly. So rather than rotate around the fork, the clip-on bar might bend before that nipple snaps.

If you're really concerned you might strip the clip-on down and check with a straight edge. but that might not tell you either.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
You may have nocked your front out of alignment.(gave the fork tubes a twist in the triple trees) sorry I don`t know how to check for straitness.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
Okay, so I dropped my bike and have some scuffs on the bar end. For the most part, the clips feel straight and level but the handling feels just so slightly off. I'm not sure if it's the clips on or my imagination.

1) What signs that a clipon may be slightly bent?

2) Any way to test if it's bent?

3) How easily do the clipon bend? The service tech at Pro Italia said it was a hard to bend a clip on, however, when my 750 tipped over a few years ago, it was obvious the clip on was bent.

Lastly, sorry for all the thread regarding my tip over but your input's greatly appreciated. :(
You need to take some measurements, I have performance.de bars on mine and there are no locators at all! it's a bit of a nightmare setting them.

First set the wheels exactly in line- fishing wire along the back tyre just touching the rear tyre, and measure from the fishing line to the front and back of the front wheel, or a good straight edge will do the same, move front wheel left or right to get these two measurements the same.

Now measure from the end of the clip on vibration bolt back to some point like the bolts that hold the rear subframe on,

And also straight down maybe to the fork bottoms, any differneces greater than a couple of mm and something is bent.

The steering lock stops are not accurate enough in my experience. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts