MV Agusta Forum banner

Went for a ride with the guys - found the problem with the bike - testicoli piccoli

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  cruiser 
#1 ·
Well, after a two week absence for family obligations, I accepted an invitation from the guys to join them on their Sunday morning ride. The pace is for experienced riders, aggressive but sane. Anyone is welcome, and the group is very kind and patient - waiting for laggards at each stop sign, and pointing out road problems during the ride.

On my first ride the group broke all records for patience - I lagged by enough time for the group to make coffee or wash their bike at every stop sign. Apparently that's a bit longer than usual.

Well, today was my second ride with the group and I'm doing a lot better. I almost saw the rider in front of me several times. He was riding a touring rig with extra lights - it really helped. The Brutale loves to rev - almost never below 8K RPMs on the whole ride.

At the first stop I had to leave, more family obligations. But before I left I discussed with the group some continuing problems I seem to have with the power of my Brutale. Seems it loses power in sweeping turns, or technical sections of our route. On the straights it's fine, keeping up with the others.

One of the riders told me to check it out - and I did. I found the problem on the web. The Italian term is "testicoli piccoli". It's actually a known medical problem - the Latin medical term is "vegrandis testis". I called my doctor, a personal friend, and he translated for me - "Small testicles". The cure he prescribed seemed extreme: "Grow a pair and ride the damn thing. When you turn, lean harder and twist your right wrist - it's allowed." Who knew?

Well, I'll give it a try. Seems that if you use this technique you gain a lot of HP - and it's a lot cheaper than a power commander or a new shock.

It's funny that I never seemed to be aware of my medical condition when riding my Softail Heritage Classic - I can drag the floorboards at a red light! And that bike has power to burn - I had it up to almost 70 MPH once.

Thanks again to the guys for their patience and support.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Len, you are a hoot!

Here is a bit of relatively inexpensive advice to help with your medical condition.

Attend a track day. Seriously. You won't be the fastest guy out there, but you probably won't be the slowest. The trick to getting more speed is, well, more speed. I have found that a comfortable pace on the track is very quick on the street but feels molasses slow. Personally, I found barriers to speed everywhere and the only way to overcome it is grit your teeth, twist the throttle and trust your bike. Believe me, if you don't do anything to upset the chassis, the bike is a lot faster than most of us posting here. The best place to experiment with your limits is at the track.

#4 ·
CAG - I am all for proper training. I've attended the Keith Code Superbike school, level 1 five years ago. It was my birthday present for turning 55. I was 20 pounds lighter then (15 at least) and still could remember where I put my keys.

I was the second slowest rider at the class. I was lapped by a 14 year old with pimples on his face. He had no idea what a razor was, nor did he need one. The slowest rider and me grew quite close over the course of the day. He's a pretty nice guy - he turned 75 the day of the class. He was slower than me, riding his own bike - a 197X Yamaha RD350 that he's owned since new with over 100,000 miles on it.

The school now uses the BMW S1000RR, a machine that is far beyond my capability. Yes, I trust that Keith will dumb it down for me, but still - it's quite intimidating. I don't know if I could stand being lapped twice in a four lap riding session. I'd love to bring Sophia to the school, but the thought of possibly doing her serious bodily harm has me torn.

Frankly the Sunday rides are helpful. I can see how applying power in a turn and leaning keeps you on track. It's just that every time I try it I wind up turning too sharply and applying too little throttle. I'm off line. I'll get the hang of it sooner or later, or else I'll return to the Harley riders group - I'm a HOG member, but in my case it means Happy Old Guy.

#9 ·
Maybe Keith Code wasn't the right school for you. I would recommend you try a track day with one of your local organizations. Put your self in the novice group. Ask for an instructor. I've never taken Codes school, Elton has, all levels I believe, and I think it is pretty serious.

A track day would be a lot less expensive too. $150 or so for the day?
Plus, you are on your own bike. Just because you are on a track doesn't mean you are at greater risk of binning your bike. Less so, I think. I really think it would make you more comfortable on the bike and more comfortable at higher speed. You are not much that older than I am. I think you are about Eds age, and he is damn fast; on both his SV 650 and his Brutale.

#5 ·
Hi Len, sounds like you are the sort of rider that is welcome in any group. You know your limits and don't try and pretend to be something you're not.

I have given up many group rides because of that 'wannabe' rider or riders who are obviously out of their leaguge but still try and keep up sometimes with disasterous results.

There's nothing wrong with being at the rear, in fact there can be advantages. It's a more relaxing ride and hopefully if any plod are around the front runners get the pull and you get away scott free!

My take is, as long as you enjoy your ride nothing else matters. :)

#6 ·
Len, I too fall into your category, lol. I like to ride alone because I do not like slowing others down or trying to keep up with the pace someone els sets. I like setting my own pace. Lately I have started to trust my F4 more and more and am improving in the turns. Every sunday I do a 100 mile canyon ride trying to improve on my weak spots. Just remember, you have nothing to prove to anyone, have fun and enjoy the ride.

#7 ·
len, I have moved from fat cruisers when I was young to sportier bikes as I age. The Brutale has the most performance, by far, of all of them. After 20K miles I'm still impressed with how easily it all happens. You really can follow the bike. If you can feel it under you, it WILL do the work for you. In fact, it's easy to get too cocky. Forgetting that it's the machine, not me, that has the skills and talent.

#10 ·
LenCap, It's cool to be last as long as you enjoy the ride. I have moved up from 100cc bikes and I understand this "testicoli piccoli" ....lol, My mind agrees that I can do it but my balls dont hahaha but as time has passed I have started to trust the bike a lot more. I am still very slow in the curves and a lot of times let others pass me and I guess I just need to twist the wrist and I am sure I can make it. It's the thought of being on a public road that does not let me try harder. As CAG says I guess a track day would do people like us a lot of good. Unfortunately there isnt a track where I stay but I am sure you could get to one. Maybe you wont be faster immediately but at least it will let you push it more than usual and let you gain some confidence ...i.e. Let you grow a pair of the required balls.

#12 ·
You ride just fine Len. Sean and I will be at VIR on August 9 with Cornerspeed. Come on up and spend the day with us. You can get a feel for what a trackday is all about. I would suggest an SV 650 if you decide you want to start riding on the track. Sophia would do fine but I love my Brutale too much to take a chance with it on the track. GEICO would not be impressed if I bin the Brutale on the track.

#13 ·
Marty -

Would it be possible to attend the August 8th event as a participant? I think I found the website, but I'm not sure. Seems to be about a $495 fee. Does that sound correct?

The Keith Code Superbike school at VIR is about the same price, using Sophia for either event. I don't want to hurt her, but I'd like to learn how to ride her. Can't do that on someone else's bike.

Thanks for the help, and to all the guys for the support.

#14 ·
I always say "ride your own ride" when I am with a group. I don't want anyone to be uncomfortable trying to keep up, and I will back it off if I get uncomfortable chasing some of my faster friends (or I should if I want to stay safe).

Randy likes to ride his bikes, but will be the first to say "I'll get there, be patient"....so we wait at the turn offs. He never gets a rest....and it is OK.

Seriously, as long as you are enjoying your pace then you are riding perfectly well.....you might try surfing the torque curve on your Brutale from 5 to 8K rpm....things get a bit hectic at 8K, and the 10K rush comes in a hurry. My 910R is really pleasant and handles nicely at 6K on the streets....she handles much better on the race track at 8K +, but I am usually running closer to 6 on the streets.

#15 ·
+ as always Eddy

Len - I'm a big fan of Keith Code and I'd recommend using Sophia. I know you did level 1 quite some years ago...but repeating with Sophia and having the tutors following you and giving the correct advice will give you so much more. Crank down that tire pressure and feel the way the mistress folds her arms around you wanting you to drive her harder :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.