MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crashed my new F4-1000 up in the mountains on 12/26. Took a blind right hand turn and hit a patch of wet mud at about 40 to 50 mph. Bike speed wobbled left right left in under 1 second and it went down hard on the left side. I got tossed and went down hard over the right side. Only injuries were bruises and damaged my nerves in my leg so i have no feeling in my thigh still to this day, no broken bones, some rash on both hips due to the closure on my pants bursting open when i hit the ground. Had full leather gear with armor and sidi boots which took most of the impact. My Alpinestars pants had only velcro and a snap to close the pants, and it failed. I highly recommend double checking your pants closures and putting some hooks or a belt type closure if you don't already.

Insurance is going to total the bike, as the engine lost all it's oil when on it's side due to a cracked engine cover and ran this way for about 5 minutes. Probably go back to a Brutale when I get my check since i liked the more upright seating of my Brutale, maybe get a 910R this time. Dunno yet.

Here are some pics the day after the crash, bike is shown at the towing yard were it slept all night in the rain. Less than 200 miles on it. Doh.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Been there, done that. Except for the three months of traction and therapy. Best way to forget about it is to get back on a bike and ride. Pity what asphalt can do to such a beautiful piece of art/engineering. Hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Looks like the bike came through amazingly well for what it went through. You can see where frame sliders would have saved a good portion of the damage. Get well soon and get back on something !

·
Registered
474 Posts
Bugger!

Glad you were wearing your gear. Could've been much worse.

Do you guys get rights to purchase salvage, or do you need to go to Auction? What sort of dollars would you have to pay for that example?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Steptoe said:
Do you guys get rights to purchase salvage, or do you need to go to Auction? What sort of dollars would you have to pay for that example?
Don't know but keep an eye out if you're interested...Maybe you can get a deal on one of those 3000 out of warranty motors they have lying around.

A friend of mine purchased a 916 writeoff at auction about 6-7 years back...I had been stolen and put in the back of a ute and while they were trying to get away it tipped over and the frame sustained a ding and apart from this there was only some minor cosmetic damage and the insurance company wrote it off. :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

I can't remember what he paid for it at auction but to get it fully repaired and on road it cost him around AU12K which was insanely cheap not to mention that it (pre purchase) had all the carbon bits and just about everything else you could do done.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Thank God for good protection, good to hear you sustained no personal damage, and hey, its only a bike...well an MV!

Get well...

·
Registered
774 Posts
Glad you're not injuried. Bike is only plastic and metal easy to repair, even an MV.

You're healty, that's what's important. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
That really sucks. Glad you are ok, not too much cosmetic damage but that hole in the F4 plate has really stuffed it up, i might make a slider for that plate for track days, just in case.

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
Hate to hear that happened. Your last post talking about how you just purchased your new baby is still fresh in my mind. It is too bad the gear didn't do all that it should have, but glad you had gear on nonetheless. Now, where do I get my hands on that bike for parts? :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Dr Evil said:
That really sucks. Glad you are ok, not too much cosmetic damage but that hole in the F4 plate has really stuffed it up, i might make a slider for that plate for track days, just in case.
Only 30 Euros for a new one on ebay. :nerd: Better off getting a lanyard so it doesn't run on it's side should the worst happen.

·
Living the Dream
2,755 Posts
Glad to hear no serious damage happen, had another rider a few months ago that took a nasty spill and ended up with some pretty serious injuries. When you are replacing the f4 cover i would recomend the Motocores one, i just got it yesterday and it is pretty nice looking. Again, glad to see a fellow rider that will stand to ride again!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
good to hear you are ok...and going right back to MV (brutale).

looking at these pics brings up the question of drilling fairings for frame sliders. it's pretty clear most MV owners don't want to drill the hole because of damage to fairing (not to mention looks), but then look at the difference the frame sliders could have made.

i haven't been able to bring myself to do it. but i think i will just add the crash pads that go under the fairing. that and do my best never to fall. :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Wish you a very speedy recovery, glad you are able to get around...

If you decide to fix the bike, here's a new left side fairing you might need;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8027868829&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Frame sliders could sometimes do more damage than otherwise. On the streets if they catch a curb, could cause a high side. On the tracks they can dig in the dirt and cause a high side. You could also damage the trellis frame. Better to damage plastics than frame...

I have seen several crashes where the crank case cover had been badly scraped, but this is the first one I've seen break, must have hit a sharp object such as a rock???

Not sure if those frame plugs/end sliders do much? They are only a couple of mm thick...

·
Registered
375 Posts
I will try to find some pictures I have of a MV lowsiding at Barber. The frame sliders saved the bike.

Any pics of the Motocorse cover ?

·
Living the Dream
2,755 Posts
I will take a picture tonight when i get home and get it on the bike. It comes in a silver and a black. Very well made from just unpacking it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
awiner said:
I will try to find some pictures I have of a MV lowsiding at Barber. The frame sliders saved the bike.
It typically works well when lowsiding and it doesn't cath and/or digs in. It'd save the plastic when it works. But when it doesn't work, i.e. catches/digs in, the outcome is much worse than just the plastic...
Even when lowsiding at high speed, and doesn't catch/digs in, it "could" exert eccess force on the trellis frame and bend it.

What I've done on mine are: Large bar end sliders, front fork axle sliders, and rear axle sliders. Providing three support points at the extermities of the bike, rather than the mid point where it could cause flipping/high siding. Sliders at the extermeties require a larger force to flip the bike over due to larger moment arm. Non of these sliders could damage the frame either...

·
Registered
279 Posts
sorry to hear about your fall but at least you are alright. The bike looks like it could be fixed. I hope who ever gets it doesnt just part the whole thing out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts