MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so after another 2 months of trying to work out what is wrong with my 2010 F4, after its already had a complete new engine put in it, still no one can tell me what the problem is.....

its flashing coil failure on the dash, yet the bike seems to run fine without missing etc.... other then when it decides to just randomly shut off!
have replaced all the coils, checked loose conections etc, MV have had it on the dyno and on the computer and still no one can tell me the problem
so now there solution is to just keep replacing parts untill they find the problem (at my cost btw)
cant believe 7 months after the engine blew and near killed me, MV still have not fixed the bike

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
It must be very frustrating for you...

I can't understand why they can't do a systematic check as per manual of the associated electrical components.

First reaction is to check with a multi-meter as per workshop manual the ( coil /ecu/fuel pump) relay and the associated fuse...

joe

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I tried to download the manual but its not playing ball this morning.

First reaction is to check with a multi-meter as per workshop manual the power relay and the associated fuse. On the 09s this is serving the coils and the ecu..

I'll try again later to get the manual off Donsy's site.

joe
Looks like I'm still struggling with some of the manuals being downloaded by some systems, try the y10-13 manual Joe, it's got everything in there also. I'll reload the y10 manual again. Please let me know when you pick up problems guys, I'm constantly busy on the site at the moment, and don't always get the chance to double check everything.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Looks like I'm still struggling with some of the manuals being downloaded by some systems, try the y10-13 manual Joe, it's got everything in there also. I'll reload the y10 manual again. Please let me know when you pick up problems guys, I'm constantly busy on the site at the moment, and don't always get the chance to double check everything.
I got it to work Donsy..and I down loaded it..:) :f4:

cheers

joe

·
Registered
837 Posts
If you're getting spurious behaviour/shutdowns when the items in question are known to be working, I'd be looking at the ECU (or mebbe, at a stretch, the dash depending on what processing impact it has on the system). Is there someone who might be able to loan an ECU for you to try?

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
If you're getting spurious behaviour/shutdowns when the items in question are known to be working, I'd be looking at the ECU (or mebbe, at a stretch, the dash depending on what processing impact it has on the system). Is there someone who might be able to loan an ECU for you to try?
It is hard to diagnose at distance really but the ECUs don't often give trouble...There is a relay which serves the ECU and the Coils and the Fuel Pump.

I guess we could ask if the fuel pump is priming ?

Joe

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Sensors changed on later model engines and not compatible with the earlier model ecu? Just chucking an idea out there....
As above are the circuit diagrams identical for all models?

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Sensors changed on later model engines and not compatible with the earlier model ecu? Just chucking an idea out there....
As above are the circuit diagrams identical for all models?

There is likely to be some commonality but as Donsy quite rightly says there are a lot of differences there too.

Many of us, self included are wary of wiring because of the complexity. It is true that there is alot of complexity in the ECU.

However, If you expand the diagrams so that they don't look like spaghetti gone mad, and sit down with a cup of coffee to study them properly , many of the circuits are traceable to the mere mortal...

Once you have done this and begin to understand the bikes systems it is very satisfying and then you have a platform from which to expand your knowledge and understanding of the bike further.

Of course for me the learning curve is still on the steep side of the graph lol :)

Joe

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the imput guys, i just want the bike running again without issue

wireing is all new, motor is all new, only old parts r dash and ecu.... and u cant change the dash without doing the ignition aswell

there was a bike i could swap the parts out with at the dealer, but MV now expect me to pay for all this at $130 an hour.... u know cause apparantly a piston coming out of the motor isn't a big deal??? and the customer should pay to fix the issues it causes ?

well and truely over MV now, honestly if i could get the money back for the bike i'd just go and buy a new ducati or BMW..... i love the MV's but the fact that MV just dont seem to care at all about there customers is a joke..... i mean lets be real the bike exploded after 8000km's throwing piston and conrods onto the road and seting the bike on fire.... i was lucky to have walked away from it, it has now been 7 months since that and i'm still fighting with MV to fix the thing

piss poor effort MV

·
Formerly - dagmvagusta
423 Posts
Hennesy,

I get exactly what your saying. Customer service is everything and people should stand behind there product especially a reputable company like mv that charges a premium for their bikes, shops, and mechanics. With that said you got to do what's going to make you happy and comfortable as far as riding the bike. We're too close to the pavement for these machines not to run successfully. I certainly would move on from MV if I had the experience you have had, but don't give up on pushing MV to stand by there product. Once it's fixed go get that BMW hp4 or the Ducati.

Good luck money!!!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
661 Posts
Customer service?? this is more like hey fix my stuff please its unsafe, no?? I would refuse to have 20K+ tied up in something that I cannot use. There is something called reasonable expectation for the product to be fit for its basic purpose. Shutting down randomly cannot be a part of what you paid for, could it? is this a new feature? Sorry, venting but I hate to hear that reasonable is even claimed as being part of this discussion. It needs to be fixed or monies refunded, for the portion unused. It is not reasonable or businesslike to have your money stolen. You might as well have gotten a litho of the darn thing and look at it. Keep in mind, the money you spent could have been used to feed the underprivileged, you gonna let someone steal from the poor????? May be twisted view for some, but that is the way I see it. YMMV

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i agree guys.... but i aint giving up yet, MV are not an overly well known company in Aus..... i know we r all MV guys here but at the end of the day if they do not fix this i will do everything in my power to make sure everyone knows what MV think of there product and costomers ..... next step is to take this to court and if i've got to do that i'm also going to get this story on TV with the national news, and all over every bike forum i can find to make sure anyone who is even considering buying one knows exactly what there getting into

at the end of the day i still love the bike, i love the looks and i love how it rides (when it actually works) if MV would just fix it i'd be more then happy to keep it.... i had big plans for the bike, i'd love to get it to where i had wanted

so if anyone can point me in the right direction to fix the problem it'd be great.

·
Formerly - dagmvagusta
423 Posts
Hennessy,

I have a stock Ecu from a a 2012 f4r 1000 I'm not using. Not sure if that is the first year of the Corsica motor or if it was 2010. If it is compatible pm me and I will get with you lending it to you to see if that corrects some of your issues and faulty warning sensors.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the offer dagmvagusta, not sure if they would be compatible or not will have to check

i do have some more info on the issue now tho after getting it out trying to work through it... after clearing the old fualt it now turns out the the warning only comes on in the higher rpm, it starts flashing at around 8000+rpm... when we had it hooked up to the computer it did say faulty earth to coil 1 and 2 but no sign of any missing etc, bike runs fine... but the light is coming on in high rpm, which to me could be a bad conection, possibly when it hits high rpm its vibrating enough to cause the warning? or it has got and issue with the coil wiring, keeping in mind we've swaped them all with new ones

but on top of that, how can either of these issues cause the bike to shut off? if a coil fails it'll drop a cylinder and start missing not simply kill all power, which has me looking at the power to all coils as if they all lost power that would explane the bike shuting off.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Like i said hire a lawyer.

You do know that trying to chase 'electrical gremlins' nomenclature didn't get its name for nothing. Now imagine lots of other folks who have not been with the bike from the beginning all trying to chase the gremlins down over the internet. Its not impossible, but i think nasa would rather try to send apollo 11 back to the moon than tackle this.

Now trying to be helpful here.......

Coils don't all of a sudden go bad all the time. Many times its a hiccup that only the computer can pick up and will only reveal a noticeable issue later down the road when it continues to get worse. If it is really a coil acting up then one can take that coil and move it to another cylinder. Clear the codes and see if the code pops back up in the cylinder you placed it. One thing to look out for is if the tech didn't take care to make sure the coil wires are clear of the intake runners there could be a chance a wire got pinched. Right now it might not have time to have worked completely through the insulation and the code only gets thrown under high load(i.e. rpm) as it takes more load to arch to ground, or at least draw current from the wiring to whatever metal its pinched on. Now this is a really wild guess here so don't stake 130$ labor hours on it, but this might be something you could do yourself. At the very least dig around the wiring and make sure the coils wires are clear of everything.

Who knows why the bike is shutting itself off. This is what Agusta warranty work is for. On the other hand it could be a fail safe of some sort. BTW, would check further up the wire harness to wiring that may feed 1/2 and another for 3/4. If they split like that then chances are you'll find the issue between the connector at the split back to the harness itself.

Oh, and its not unheard of to get bad coils out of the box. With a lot of parts being made in china these days it shouldn't come as a surprize.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts