MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story short, it happened while making a 45 degree turn on an incline. The street was a y shape intersection (aka a fork in the road) and I was making a V shape turn before I know it the bike was on the floor and I end up rolling over.

Bike Damage: Bent rear brake, scratchs on the mid-fairing and minor scratches to the mirror, brake level, and right bar end. Clips don't seem bent. (whew)

Personal damage: scratched helmet (I apparent hit my head when I rolled), broken mirror, and eyeglass case. Slighty sore right arm from frantically trying to pick up the bike.

It's a very tough turn because it's a tight turn on an incline. I'll post pictures of the intersection later. Right now, I'm just so pissed since I just spend $600 on service and will probably end up spending another $800 to repair the fairing and brake lever.

Anyone have a mid-fairing and break lever for sale? :banghead:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
that so sucks

btw, for a minute there i thought that was my bike you had taken those photos from! i had a tip-over at the laguna hills DMV - going out the back exit, bike fell over onto my left leg. i was at a complete stop too! boy did i feel like a MORON for a couple of weeks.

i hate to tell u this now, but the faring alone is $720.

you may want to see if a local bodyshop and do some touchup work on the mid.
it may come out a lot less expensive in the end.

alex

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. There's never anyway to soften the blow, but it looks like you came out ok with really light damage, could have been way worse. You are still in one piece and the bike is still rideable until you can replace the parts.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Sucks, I did the same thing once pulling a u-turn on an uphill canyon road with my wife on the back, and went wide and fell off the side of the asphalt. Luckily it wasn't my MV, and my wife was okay. She actually had to lift the bike off of me, but my leg spared the bike much damage.
Glad you're okay though, the bike'll get fixed soon enough.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Allan,
Sorry to hear about your accident! It makes me cringe looking at those pictures. Of course, it could have been much, much worse. Hey, at least your Lotus' paint isn't undamaged, unlike mine.............(long story!)
BT

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Heh.

A person who shall remain nameless dropped my bike over, then heroically dove under it and the handlebar came down on his forearm (!).

I have some scratches on the bike and the lever, but oh well. Life goes on.

That scratch right in the middle part sucks though.

You can look at it this way too, now it's your bike!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
altoon said:
that so sucks
i hate to tell u this now, but the faring alone is $720.
alex
Back in April 2004, I tipped over my 750 MV at a gas station due to a brain fart (first bike drop in alike 10 years, btw). At the time, I was getting prices of $800 for a new replacement fairing. I took the panel to a few customer motorcycle shops and they wanted $400 to repaint it. In the end, I put the MV on consignment with Pro Italia and that's when Kaming Ko (for those who know him) both it to turn it into a dedicated track bike.

So, yeah, I know it's going to be expensive to fix. Hopefully the price of a repaint in LA won't be as much as it was in Phoenix? :confused:

Ironically, I wasn't even making a < shaped turn. I had come to a stop. Justed the angle of the bike to reduce the amount of turn on the handle bars BUT I think by repositioning the bike, I end up putting the bike on a steeper incline.

BTW, I think I bruised my index finger. It's a bit swollen. But the real ironic thing was several people also drove by asking if I was okay. And the more they asked, the more pissed I got, "I'm #[email protected]# fine!! Can't you see my ##@@ bike is the one that's injured!" :laughing:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Totally. Glad to hear you're OK.

Wouldn't it be nice if this could happen to us once in a while to keep us on our toes, but the bike just went and parked itself on the sidestand while we rolled around on the ground?

:)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Glad to hear you're OK. Bikes can be repaired, sure it's a pisser but repairable. Our health is not to be taken for granted!

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I know how that sucks, but if we think about it, it's just some minor cosmetic damage easly reparable. Glad you're ok :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
That had to be a very low speed get-off.

I wouldn't even worry about reporting the damage to insurance. As far as paint goes, you just have one lightly damaged fairing right? Get a new sticker, bar end, and brake lever from your dealer for $200, then have the panel reshot by a quality bodyshop for ~$200.

There's no reason IMHO to buy a new panel. You have minimal damage and any quality bodyshop can grab your paint code from your owners manual and go at it. Bodyshops paint plenty of plastic these day so there should be no issues at all doing your panel.

No sweat! You'll be back in mint condition in a couple weeks and probably less money than your deductable.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for answering my next question. I guess the rear brake will be $200! But the rear break and fairing really took most of the fall - probably due to the incline. The bar end, mirror and brake lever aren't damaged to badly. Maybe just a black permanent marker will do it.

Too bad Casoli USA when out of business. I remember they had some farings for $300. :(

·
Registered
735 Posts
sorry man. I was taking my ST4 off its center stand after washing it and it fell on its right side. I didn't notice st the time the pavement was leaning to the right while it was on its stand. It has the same boo-boos as your bike. :bawling:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So.....do I have the right to call this a "crash" instead of a tip over since when the bike dropped, there I actually ended up rolling over and hitting my helmet? :)

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Bummer Allan...Glad you are fine, doesn't look too bad. Did the brake lever scratch the frame behind it? That seems to be very common on this side.

Good luck with gettin' her whole again!

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
178 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
Thanks for answering my next question. I guess the rear brake will be $200! But the rear break and fairing really took most of the fall - probably due to the incline. The bar end, mirror and brake lever aren't damaged to badly. Maybe just a black permanent marker will do it.

Too bad Casoli USA when out of business. I remember they had some farings for $300. :(
I think you may have mis-took my post, Allan.

$200 was just my guesstimate as to the cost of a new fairing sticker, rear brake lever and bar end. As in combined cost.

FWIW I had to replace a rear brake lever on my 748 and the ducati retail on the new one was only $70.

FWIW 2, if I were you I would just go ahead and replace the damaged parts. A couple of hundred dollars is well worth it to keep a $20K bike from having residual marks from a lowside, especially at trade-in or resale time.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
twoeleven said:
Bummer Allan...Glad you are fine, doesn't look too bad. Did the brake lever scratch the frame behind it? That seems to be very common on this side.
Yes, it did. Actually, the impact bent the lever to the brake lock position so I had to pry it up and push it against the frame. At work, I had no choice but to break the brake lever off so it won't accidentally slip back and lock on me later on.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts