MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I've started to have a bit of an odd problem with my indicators, and am wondering if this is one of those things I should be filing under 'character' or whether I should set off investigating. After all, I'm long overdue for something having had literally no problems with my bike in nearly three years. I've just jinxed myself, haven't I?

Anyway, when the bike is first started, my indicators don't work, nor does the light on the dash to say they're working. However, after about 10 minutes of riding and once the bike is warm, all returns to normal. Is this a common problem? Are the switches famous for being more characterful/ only working when warm, or is it generally the wiring that is choc-full of added- value at no extra charge?

Thanks in advance for your help, much appreciated.
N.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
ive not heard them not working until they are warm before. It could be that the points are not making a perfect contact and only work once youve ridden over a few bumps etc, however I dont think this would be the case if it happened everytime. Too much of a coincidence. I would try starting the bike to see if they work. Then leave the bike be until its warm, then try them. If they suddenly work then bingo, you know its a heat related issue. If they dont, just try moving the fairing stays a little (the metal arms that the mirrors fix too. It could be that the points have gotten dry over the years and are now just a little tempramental, id be inclined to think that this is the problem, if so, take the nose cone off and give them a clean up and a little electrical spray. Also, see gotojoe's recent post on a similar issue....

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
check that the tail tidy lamp hasn't shorted against the slip ons this will blow the fuses and the blinkers and the dash will stop working.

·
Registered
874 Posts
awesome, thanks folks- I'll get on that tonight.
Its not the locater pins, i have the same problem. i dont have locater pins i have plugs instead. (its in maintenance). It happens about 90% of the time as you described in your earlier post. Once the bike warms up its all good. I think it might be moisture.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Hello All,

I've started to have a bit of an odd problem with my indicators, and am wondering if this is one of those things I should be filing under 'character' or whether I should set off investigating. After all, I'm long overdue for something having had literally no problems with my bike in nearly three years. I've just jinxed myself, haven't I?

Anyway, when the bike is first started, my indicators don't work, nor does the light on the dash to say they're working. However, after about 10 minutes of riding and once the bike is warm, all returns to normal. Is this a common problem? Are the switches famous for being more characterful/ only working when warm, or is it generally the wiring that is choc-full of added- value at no extra charge?

Thanks in advance for your help, much appreciated.
N.
When you say the indicators don't work..do you mean no lights anywhere at all...describe the symptoms in a bit more detail and more advice will be forthcoming for you : )

I had an issue with rears lighting solid not flashing, The switch was toggling left to right and cancelling correctly..The fronts were inop no light. I rectified this as in maintenance section,

Joe

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you say the indicators don't work..do you mean no lights anywhere at all...describe the symptoms in a bit more detail and more advice will be forthcoming for you : )

I had an issue with rears lighting solid not flashing, The switch was toggling left to right and cancelling correctly..The fronts were inop no light. I rectified this as in maintenance section,

Joe
Hi Joe,

To begin with- before the bike gets warm- when I flick the swutch, nothing happens, no lights on any corner of the bike, nor any indicator reminder on the dash. Then after time, or as someone has suggested, perhaps once the bike has been jiggled, both dash and indicators work normally again. Does that help at all?

I'm going to try what others have suggested just as soon as I get 5 mins to myself, thanks for all the brilliant help so far, folks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not the locater pins, i have the same problem. i dont have locater pins i have plugs instead. (its in maintenance). It happens about 90% of the time as you described in your earlier post. Once the bike warms up its all good. I think it might be moisture.
Here's an odd thing- despite the fact that we've now derived that our bikes have a design flaw, I feel greatly comforted that I'm not the only one. Weakness in numbers is the new black, I reckon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I thought i'd update this as I fixed the problem today, the indicator relay was broken.
It is located on the left hand side of the bike in the frame next to the main relay.

The spare I got from Halfords, the part number is HFU200, £4.99 or £2.45 with trade card. Works well so far!

·
King of Bling
9,818 Posts
I thought i'd update this as I fixed the problem today, the indicator relay was broken.
It is located on the left hand side of the bike in the frame next to the main relay.

The spare I got from Halfords, the part number is HFU200, £4.99 or £2.45 with trade card. Works well so far!
Great tip Matt.. Thanks for the info...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts