MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So right in the middle of a sharpish turn, my '03 Brute loses power.

I was able to right the bike, and tried to start the motor again and it came back for about 5 seconds and died again. I pulled over and checked the self check came up fine but the bike would not start and I could not hear the fuel pump come up.

I checked the fuse and sure enough it was blown but it smelt like BBQ in there.

The mechanic checked it out and initially said I would probably be up for about AUD$2000 to replace the junction box and ECU. He called me about 1 hour later to say that they were able to rewire and the ECU was fine. He said the computer diagnostics were completely normal.

What I have noticed now is that the blinker pattern is irregular. It might blink rhythmically for 4 or even 8 but then it'll do a double blink or a quick flicker and back into rhythm again.

I'm worried about riding it now until I know what's wrong with the thing incase the fusebox wants to fry again. Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking it might be time to go back to a very reliable jap bike.

·
Registered
102 Posts
ECU issues

ceej,

The Brutale ECU issues are well documented on this forum. I, like many had similar problems i.e. bike stalling while at highway speed, blinkers not turning on, turning off, etc... The Italians make sexy bikes, but I seriously question their electrical engineering ability. My dealer replaced my CCU, with a new version & all problems went away.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
20,060 Posts
Interesting aside on Italian electronics...the Service Control Unit ("CDI", fuse box, whatever) is reputedly made by SAAB.....regardless, the later versions are much less troublesome then early ones...(he says with his fingers crossed).

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Yes I had that till it was replaced. We should do a poll on this issue to find out the number of replacements.

·
Administrator
20,060 Posts
This has not been an issue with 2008 bikes. More likely improper TPS setting and idle CO trim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts