1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Congratulations Australian team truly deserves it.

Can't wait for the world cup glad to see Cricket fans on the forum :smoking:

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
spalding12 said:
that is AWESOME
wow...... after SO MANY YEARS
that is truly amazing
congrats

now.....
let's here from some of our BRITISH friends....

hmmm.... greg, it's only been a year that the english had it..... aussie's have been on a storm the past decade and a half.

i only know this because i was living in england when they won it in '05. I'm still an ignorant american when it comes to this sport..... :)

i wouldn't mind seeing a test match sometime though.... especially at pimm's o'clock. :naughty:

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep - the Poms won it only 15 months or so ago, but it was quite unexpected and hurt 'us' a lot. The Australian team has been incredibly dominant in every aspect of cricket for quite a while now - there isn't a trophy that we haven't won (and we currently hold most of the titles). However, the Ashes is special - and at least one of the greats of the game (Shane Warne) delayed his retirement to make sure we won them back. One of our amazing teams from early last century was called "The Invincibles," and if there was ever a team who deserved to take on that name again, it's this one.

Interestingly enough, the first ever international cricket match was between Canada and the US. Maybe there's a chance of resurrecting it again - and maybe adding Aussie Rules football! :)

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
TokyoLunch said:
hmmm.... greg, it's only been a year that the english had it..... aussie's have been on a storm the past decade and a half.

i only know this because i was living in england when they won it in '05. I'm still an ignorant american when it comes to this sport..... :)

i wouldn't mind seeing a test match sometime though.... especially at pimm's o'clock. :naughty:
well embarrassed to say that, like MOST americans..... i know very little about cricket
or... it's recent (or past) history

i hope that i can learn
i always appreciate an education

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, here's the short answer:

The Rules of Cricket

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

And if you want something a little more serious, have a look at:

http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/hosking/cricket/explanation.htm

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
let's here from some of our BRITISH friends....
I'm British, and I've never understood the facination with Cricket. I don't understand the rules, and can't comprehend any game that goes on for days at a time. :) (I was surprised when I heard this morning that we'd just lost, because I thought it was all over weeks ago. I had no idea it was still going on.)

Si

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
TheCatWhisperer said:
I'm British, and I've never understood the facination with Cricket. I don't understand the rules, and can't comprehend any game that goes on for days at a time. :) (I was surprised when I heard this morning that we'd just lost, because I thought it was all over weeks ago. I had no idea it was still going on.)

Si

That's a good point. Things apparently were over in mid-december (at least the ashes officially were won back), when they went down 4-0. Not sure what this final part was about.

i'm sure somebody will explain. :)

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was a 5 test series. We won the Ashes back after we were 3-0, but this is only the second time that any team has won an Ashes series 5-0. It was also very special because 3 great players retired from Test cricket today - including one who is arguably the greatest ever bowler.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Sventekoz said:
Well, here's the short answer:

The Rules of Cricket

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

And if you want something a little more serious, have a look at:

http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/hosking/cricket/explanation.htm
LOL... sounds like how we'd describe baseball to someone from a place where it isn't played (which isn't too many places anymore)
we exported baseball and basketball all of the world
Soccer has become IMMENSELY popular in the US
not sure why cricket never has

thanks for the link

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Not without necessary changes though. Baseball for example is called Rounders in the UK and is played by school girls. Basketball is called Netball and is also played by.. school girls. ;) (And hockey for that matter..)

School boys just play football, rugby and truant.

Si

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
spalding12 said:
LOL... sounds like how we'd describe baseball to someone from a place where it isn't played (which isn't too many places anymore)
Soccer has become IMMENSELY popular in the US
not sure why cricket never has

thanks for the link

the reason why cricket is not popular???

because you can tie! (draw for non-north americans :) )

:conveyer: :conveyer:

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
TheCatWhisperer said:
Not without necessary changes though. Baseball for example is called Rounders in the UK and is played by school girls. Basketball is called Netball and is also played by.. school girls. ;) (And hockey for that matter..)

School boys just play football, rugby and truant.

Si

yeah, used to go by the netball/basketball courts on the way to footie back at blackfriars.... ahhhh......

still, if it weren't for basketball and AMERICAN football, we wouldn't have cheerleaders.... :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

TCW: Where are you anyway? UK somewhere?

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks FSL!

Just so all of you know, when they're in colours they're playing one-day matches. The whites are reserved for multiple day matches.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
spalding12 said:
you can tie in the pro football in this country
and....

HOCKEY
there are MANY MANY "TIES" in hockey in the US every year

but how pissed off are people when there are football ties. it's just weird. i can't remember the last one (not that i follow too much these days).

and do people still watch hockey after they skipped a year? it was barely hanging on back then, can't imagine what interest is like now.

but yeah, good point. draws in hockey do happen. And I do love the playoffs where they can't draw and just play till somebody scores! none of this 'shootout' BS. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts