MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Curious if anyone has some ideas on making the F4-1000 more comfortable for someone like me who has a slight gut. :) Can you raise the handle bars? Or can you maybe lower the seat a bit? Im 6ft, 235lbs and would ideally like to ride a tiny bit more upright. This is the only reason that i've not bought another F4-1000 yet after crashing my blue one. Any thoughts?

(ps. would making modifications change the way the bike handles?)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Have a look at dgalleo's post on handlebar adjustment in the F4 section. Newbie question..... This might help. :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well, besides getting in shape :stickpoke have you test ridden or at least considered a Brutale? I doubt the F4 would ever be any better than that ergonomically.

The seat lowering is limited by the subframe, so I doubt that will help. Even if possible, all it would do IMO is put more tank in your way. Have you the leg length to go the opposite way, and raise the seat to get the tank lower relative to your "slight gut"?

Other thing besides seat and handlebars, are the footrests. Adjsuting these (lower?) may help you as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't consider the MV riding position to be too extreme, but then again I found the old 998 Ducatis comfortable. All I can offer is that you lower the rear suspension slightly. On my bike, 5mm is all I needed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't really understand the need to make it "less extreme". The bike is what it is... if you wanted a straight up seating bike why not buy something designed for that. For years all I've heard is how Ducati's are torture racks and same with MVs. I find my 996 more comfortable than my MV but at the same time, I think they're both fine for easily doing 6 hours in the saddle. Honestly.. the 999S Ducati is a lot more inline with the position you're desiring, when getting off of my SPR my friend's 999 felt like a cruiser.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I agree, there really is no so much you can do, and if you make big changes, you change the dynamics of the original design...and that defeats the object..surley?

The R1 is way more uncomfortable to ride that the MV, but its got a lot to do with your body shape as well....Italian cars as an example...you gotta have long arms and no legs! :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
agusta01 said:
I agree, there really is no so much you can do, and if you make big changes, you change the dynamics of the original design...and that defeats the object..surley?

The R1 is way more uncomfortable to ride that the MV, but its got a lot to do with your body shape as well....Italian cars as an example...you gotta have long arms and no legs! :)
Can you imagine Italians trying to drive a car and talk on the phone? The way they use their hands when talking I can't even imagine! :toothless

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rearviewmirror said:
I don't really understand the need to make it "less extreme". The bike is what it is... if you wanted a straight up seating bike why not buy something designed for that. For years all I've heard is how Ducati's are torture racks and same with MVs. I find my 996 more comfortable than my MV but at the same time, I think they're both fine for easily doing 6 hours in the saddle. Honestly.. the 999S Ducati is a lot more inline with the position you're desiring, when getting off of my SPR my friend's 999 felt like a cruiser.
i didnt say i wanted something straight up. i just want to modify it a bit so i feel better on it. nothing wrong with that. the bike is set up generally from the factory, but i want to dial it in more to specifically fit me. quite simple to understand.

i've owned a Brutale (see my gallery) before my 1000 so im a little more in love with that position, however i love both bikes so im looking for a compromise. i want to own both bikes in the end. i feel alot of pressure on my wrists as well when i rode the 1000. i lowered the footpegs as far down as they go and that made a difference.

so the options so far seem to be: 1) bar risers 2) rear suspention adjustment? id probably only need about an inch overall to feel better.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
If the F4 is really unconfortable to you, i say get another bike.
As for the pressure on your wrists, i don't feel that much pressure.
Maybe you are tense when you go for a ride.

·
Registered
878 Posts
777 said:
i i feel alot of pressure on my wrists as well when i rode the 1000.
Typically (not sure if this is the case here?) this is as a result of holding/stretching your arm straight out to support your upper body. If you drop/break your elbow and allow you ab muscles to support your upper body, it all goes away. All top racers go through considerable daily workout in order to have the endurance to hold the race position on these bikes. The sport riding position is never a comfortable position, and without regular workout will never become a comfortable one, ever...

I regularly get asked by other riders if the position on my bike and/or the seat is comfortable. My answer to them has always been: compared to my bicycle position and skimpy seat and the number of hours on spend on it daily, it is like a couch... just hand me a beer! Maintaining un-natural/hard positions require training and workout...

Even on the track, at the end of the day, I still have the endurance to go right back at it...while others are completely whooped and ready to bag it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts