MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a water leak on my 312RR, it`s like a tear drop every 5 seconds. comes down from somewhere beetwen the engine case and the water pump assembly. any leads? gasket, oring maybe? I tigtheen all the bolts I can get to w/out removing any covers...

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
It could be from the "cap" portion or it could be the o-rings back along the "shaft" portion that are allowing water by. Either way you are going to need to remove the pump to diagnose/solve it. Its much easier than it sounds.

Its an easy thing to fix. You can get the individual rubber pretty cheaply and once you remove the pump itself its something you can do sitting at a bench. Do it all. There are a couple of O-rings on the shaft that prevent weep into the crank case seals for the housing itself and then a sort of "seal on a spring" that goes on the actual shaft of the water pump and makes sure that the spinning pump always has a seal behind it.

Work blocks Google drive or else I could probably direct you to the parts but if you go to the parts manual on here or proitalia.com and hit up section G07.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
I'd say it's most likely that you have a leaking water pump O-ring.
This is one of the better threads on the subject:

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36945

Things to be aware of: Don't over tighten the 8 mm bolts that hold the impeller housing as some have stripped the threads while doing so. Also, from memory, the 1078 uses a slightly different O-ring to the previous models. Confirm this through another forum member or your local parts supplier. The O-ring is pretty inexpensive and replacing it is not particularly difficult.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great! much appreciated for your quick reply! I looked it up at the engine manual section D19 and I´m sure I´ll be able to do it myself. but WHERE CAN I ORDER THE O-RINGS I NEED ON LINE? I´m in uruguay and our dealer does not have any in stock.. looked up in ebay but no luck

·
Registered
332 Posts
same model. same symtoms. thread below

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28568

its been nearly 4 years and issue solved. Almost certain excess coolant quantity caused the problem. Important: make sure coolant level not at the max. In my case 1190ml of coolant was enough (radiator flashed) and problem never came back. Parts in my case came from forum vendor. Cheap prices too nothing expensive.
Hope it helps. Problem may be the same.

·
Registered
14,199 Posts
?

folks the water is coming out the weep hole......O-rings won't fix it, it needs seals

Nico;
the inner O-ring keeps oil in the motor
the outer O-ring keeps water in the impeller housing

repair starts on page B68 of the engine manual

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is that the weep hole? because it looks like the water comes out of that hole! so what I need are new seals I guess. Is this caused by having too much water on the system?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
is that the weep hole? because it looks like the water comes out of that hole! so what I need are new seals I guess. Is this caused by having too much water on the system?
Yup
You can't have too much water in the system mate, and no, this is not the cause.
Mileage ?, this cold be caused by worn shaft or just from bike standing for long periods of time. You can get all the parts from StarTwin right here on the forum. http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35
Have a good look to make sure the shaft is still good, if it is, just get the seals.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I´m sure the problem was from bike standing for long periods of time. It´s only 18000km (11k MIlles) and it´s a 2009 bike!
So I´m gonna need to take the pump appart and replace the seals, or maybe the shaft! oh dear!!
DOES ANYONE KNOW THE SIZE OF THOSE SEALS? BECAUSE GETTING PARTS FOR THIS BIKES IN URUGUAY IS NOT AN EASY TASK! I´M 3 WEEKS AWAY FROM EVERYTHING!

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Carefull guys.

I´m sure the problem was from bike standing for long periods of time. It´s only 18000km (11k MIlles) and it´s a 2009 bike!
So I´m gonna need to take the pump appart and replace the seals, or maybe the shaft! oh dear!!
DOES ANYONE KNOW THE SIZE OF THOSE SEALS? BECAUSE GETTING PARTS FOR THIS BIKES IN URUGUAY IS NOT AN EASY TASK! I´M 3 WEEKS AWAY FROM EVERYTHING!
Have you tried Pro-Italia ? If Noel does not have the sizes, I might be able to have a look for you 2'morrow.

Not too much water. You need that seal on a spring that seals behind the impeller. Remove the impeller and you'll see it.
Wrong waterpump Ryan.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Ok so I guess I´m gonna need to replace number 19:

http://www.startwintrading.com/en/model/f4/f4_1078_rr_-_rr_/oem/366

but do I need to heat up the pump body to remove the impeler??
That sounds like something I will not be able to accomplish myself...
Also number 3, that's what I would do. You don't need to heat the pump body mate, sometimes the Loctite on the impeller can be a bit nasty, then you just heat the centre point of the impeller using a small portable torch (Butane) to melt the Loctite and then unscrew the impeller.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Wrong waterpump Ryan.
Ah, it appears they changed the design. I wonder if the later design is superior and, if so, I could eventually change to it. I already changed the impeller to the far superior one.

Not that its a big deal, mine isnt leaking. When I re-did the impeller I went ahead and bought all of the seals/rings and rebuilt the whole thing. The parts weren't that much and I am one of those "Id rather not have to touch it again for a while" mechanics.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree w/u both! What I´m gonna do is order all the orings and seals and rebuild the whole thing. BUT in the midtime and just to get the thing running I´m gonna look up the size of the seals and see if I can repair it and ride the damn thing! Because everything takes 3 weeks or more to arrive down here!! Man, there are times in wich I wish I still lived in Miami... probably one of the few times I wish for that hahaha...
SO IF ANYONE KNOWS THE SIZE OF SEAL NUMBER 3 I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOOKING BACK ON MY COMMENT EARLIER, I PROBABLY SOUND RUDE
Sorry If I did! It´s just that sometimes my english is not that good expressing how I really want to sound like.
ANYWAY. I TALK TO MY MECHANIC OVER THE PHONE, THE ONE GUY WHO WORKS ON DUCATIS AND AGUSTAS. He gave me a couple of tips over the phone on how to dissambly the water pump so that´s what I´m doing on my next day off!! and I´ll see if I can get a replacement locally but in the midtime I´ll get OEMs on their way. He made it sound like it´s a pretty simple task, I hope I don´t brake the thing haha well see! thanks everyone for all the addvice you gave me!

·
Registered
14,199 Posts
#3?

nico;
item #3 in the old style pump is an oil seal, you need the water seals too

you used to be able to buy item #2 Part#800089428 everything except the impeller cover and the O-ring

1 - 20 of 33 Posts