MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
My friend plans on getting a bunch of pieces done in carbon fiber on his KTM supermoto. I'm very curious on how it will turn out, not that I would get anything done on the F4, but maybe future vehicles. It'll come down to durability for me.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It´s unbelievable the choices and options opened with this technique! But as you said, it´ll all come down to durability / reliability - how is it in that point? Anyone knows? :wtf:

·
Administrator
19,495 Posts
I can answer that question from personal involvement.....

This process has been in large scale production for decades. Only in the last 10 or 15 years has it become common on a small scale. Many of the faux wood grain bits in your car are done using water film transfer. Those camouflage ATVs you see running about have all been done with this process.

You can have virtually any kind of design, from a brushed aluminum finish to concrete appearance to wood grain or carbon fiber....anything.

The key to durability is the surface cleanliness and primer application, followed by a UV protective clear coat.
The big operations (auto parts or ATV bodies) for mass production are highly automated, yet still require significant manual interaction. Small batch operations, as you see from this video, are pretty much all by hand.

Just like any painted surface, a scratch is a scratch and shows the base material. Flaking or peeling is the result of poor prep and unusual from a quality operation.

There are more and more small companies doing this for individuals. As an individual looking for just a few pieces you are limited to the catalogued film patterns, but if you want to order hundreds or thousands you can have any pattern you want made into the transfer film......or if you are just stinking rich .....then you already know you can have anything you want.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
My friend plans on getting a bunch of pieces done in carbon fiber on his KTM supermoto. I'm very curious on how it will turn out, not that I would get anything done on the F4, but maybe future vehicles. It'll come down to durability for me.
i find the carbon fake horrible to look at, because real carbon will have never the same colour or lining. printed looks cheap to me.

·
Registered
654 Posts
If you have your wheels done, what's it like for chipping/damage during a tyre change? the wheel rims must be fragile and removing old wheel weights could be difficult.

Dave.

·
Administrator
19,495 Posts
Dave, it's just like any paint. Very thin, very hard.....a scratch is a scratch.

·
Administrator
19,495 Posts
And how careful your tire changer is. If he scratched your stock wheels he will scratch these too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts