MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've noticed that my 2010 F4 runs very hot. First of all, I see the temp gauge, how do I tell what the actual temp is? I've read many threads on this site about the F4 overheat issue, but most of them are referring to older models. Do I need to purchase the impeller upgrade or could there be something else wrong? Yes I'm a total NOOB, I did read this site for an hour before I started this new thread.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
The y10 models don't have the same overheating issues the <10 F4's have. There's no upgrade kit available for your model. Make sure you use decent coolant, and stop looking at the temp gauge, if it's flashing then you're overheating, don't look for reasons to worry, rather enjoy the ride.
Most sport bikes run hot, that doesn't mean they overheat, I spoke to a guy on the phone the other day who told me every time the fans come on, on his Brutale, he shuts the bike down and waits for it to cool down, not smart.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Upgraded Water Pump F4 and Brutale Y10+ Models All

So I've noticed that my 2010 F4 runs very hot. First of all, I see the temp gauge, how do I tell what the actual temp is? I've read many threads on this site about the F4 overheat issue, but most of them are referring to older models. Do I need to purchase the impeller upgrade or could there be something else wrong? Yes I'm a total NOOB, I did read this site for an hour before I started this new thread.
The y10 models don't have the same overheating issues the <10 F4's have. There's no upgrade kit available for your model. Make sure you use decent coolant, and stop looking at the temp gauge, if it's flashing then you're overheating, don't look for reasons to worry, rather enjoy the ride.
Most sport bikes run hot, that doesn't mean they overheat, I spoke to a guy on the phone the other day who told me every time the fans come on, on his Brutale, he shuts the bike down and waits for it to cool down, not smart.
We do actually offer a Racing Upgraded pumps for the Y10 Y11+ Bikes we have had some customers complain about really high temperature in hotter climates so we have developed a Pump for this and it works as well as the ones for the Previous models take a look, its diffrent fitment than the older models:

http://www.designcorse.com/shop/mv-agusta-parts/mv-agusta-f4-parts/mv-agusta-f4r-f4rr-y10-11-12-13/f4-2010-cooling-system-parts/racing-upgrade-water-pump-detail

Attachments

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Upgraded Water Pump F4 and Brutale Y10+ Models All

I do apologise sincerely, never heard of or seen that one before Al.
No worries Dons, The later bikes dont have such an issues as the Older models but we have seen that countries with high humidity and climate the bikes run very hot indeed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info Donsy, I just started riding the bike and wasn't sure how it was supposed to act. I'm riding in Virginia and it's hot and humid here. I don't know what kind of coolant is in there since I haven't flushed it yet, but I'm going to get some Engine Ice this week and flush it all out. I saw the upgraded that Al was talking about but didn't realize the difference, I may look into purchasing that as well. My temp gauge hasn't started flashing yet, but it usually stays pretty high. It's tourist season so there is often traffic here, too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So we flushed out my coolant and replaced with engine ice. Took it out and it was as cool as it's ever ran. Got back and let it run for 5 min, then I see coolant dripping from the reservoir. There is a pinhole in the reservoir cap, is that normal?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
So we flushed out my coolant and replaced with engine ice. Took it out and it was as cool as it's ever ran. Got back and let it run for 5 min, then I see coolant dripping from the reservoir. There is a pinhole in the reservoir cap, is that normal?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
From the reservoir? Do you mean the overflow pipe ? This is normal if you overfilled it (Higher than min. mark is too much). The reservoir cap is pressurised.

·
Super Moderator
22,136 Posts
I think, and someone will correct me if I am wrong, there is an actual overflow tank on the newer F4 bikes.
Like on a car. Pressurized with an overflow tank.

If you have filled so full as to a have expansion fill the overflow thank then it will piss out the top.

These bikes get filled, when cold, to the very lowest of low marks.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I had someone more mechanically minded than myself take a look at my bike, it turns out that the previous owner installed metal cooling fans and the blades were bent. I wasn't getting much air flow through my radiator, so he bent them them and now I'm running much cooler. I'm thinking of purchasing the OEM plastic fans, though. At the very least I'm going to replace the bent fan blades.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
When I slow down under 70km/h, and the weather is very hot, the temp can reach 105º or 106º (max!), without flashing -does that mean the bike deals well with that? I have a water pump upgrade, but should I also add the Ice Coolant?

·
Registered
38 Posts
As the blades have been bent the fan is probably no longer balanced and will be putting some strain on the motor and bearings, so a good plan to change it.

As a newbie I may be treading old ground and perhaps Donsy and others will be able to throw more info into thr pot, but on our race cars we use a product called Water Wetter (in the UK) which is an additive but helps the car run much cooler. Under race conditions and on a hot day we never saw the temperature rise above 95*C, even when running a four hour race. Has anyone tried this in a bike I wonder and if so what were the results. I know there are some other products on the market one of which is Evans Waterless but it is very expensive and you have to remove ALL traces of water from your system and I mean every last drop which can be very time consuming. Those that have used it say its good but I have no first hand experience, so its only heresay.

Anyone else tried stuff like Water Wetter?
Tony

·
Registered
147 Posts
Most guys here run Engine Ice.
I currently have normal coolant in it, since I want to do the impeller upgrade and it would be a shame to first put in expensive coolant to flush it out afterwards

1 - 19 of 19 Posts