MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have chanced across this water pump. It's off an MY10 bike and has the MV upgrade to the impeller when compared to 2009 models.

So, I'm thinking of using it on a 2009 F4. I'm away from home ( I have a spare 09 water pump at home too ! )

The question is, will it fit. It looks like it will and I would bet £ 1.00 on it.

Would I lose my £1.00 ?

Has anybody done this.?

These later water pumps are made by Mikuni of Tokyo....Nothing wrong there then :smoking:

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Joe,
Do it, I will wager you your £1 because if it works I may well do this to mine.

I don't mind dropping a pound off to you when we next do Wellesbourne airfield.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Apparently there's not enough room between the clutch slave and the rear of the crank casing Joe, he tried to make an extended coupling but that made the pump stick out the side really badly, looked terrible.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Apparently there's not enough room between the clutch slave and the rear of the crank casing Joe, he tried to make an extended coupling but that made the pump stick out the side really badly, looked terrible.
Thanks Donsy,

Yes, I believe Flegra did this...

The object of the exercise for me is to upgrade my F4312 to the oe upgrade impeller. I have a 2010 pump as mentioned and I reckon a good chance of scavenging the required bits from it. The frustration is I am in USA away from toys and I can't compare what I have here to the older type.

I'm working at a distance here and it's out of idle curiosity at this juncture but in comparing photos of the 2009 and 2010 pumps, plan view seems identical. ie the mounting holes look at same centres and general shape "looks" same.

The outer cover of the 2010 pump will be machined out internally to take the different profile impeller. I understand from previous reccys that this relief can be done to the 2009 outer cover too. This to allow using the upgrade impeller.

The impeller itself has the new profile..in general terms more of a paddle bladed affair on the 2010 than a spiral as the 2009 is.

The shaft " looks" the same length....Some measurements required here.

There is an obvious difference where the unit slides into the crank case. The machined area behind the O ring is narrower on the 2010 and the shaft appears to stick out further. This appears to visually net out the difference so it may well be that the shaft is the same length overall.

I bought my 2010 pump in a mixed lot so there was no great outlay.

If somebody has a 2009 and prev water pump it would be interesting to compare dimensions.

As it stands it seems I very likely have a water pump outer cover /impeller blade and or shaft I could use on my 2009 bike if I decide to.

If I go this route I'd most likely use just the pump outer cover and impeller to avoid disturbing perfectly good seals..

This may be more cost effective than buying an 0e upgrade kit.

So getting to the nitty gritty, I am suggesting that it is possible maybe, to buy a used 2010 water pump and salvage the outer cover and impeller which are matched to each other and fit these 2 parts to a 2009 and previous bike thereby doing a cost effective upgrade to your water pump.

Only possibly mind, I don't know for certain as I don't have a 2009 and prev water pump here to compare..

and of course if any kind soul out there has some info on this I'm interested :)

The first 4 pics are of 2009 pump and the rest of 2010 pump for comparison purposes.

joe

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,420 Posts
Um, Joe....I'll have a look around the garage. I did an impeller upgrade on my 312R. I think I have the original outer casing lying on my workbench. I'll bring it with me on Friday if I do.

·
Super Moderator
21,420 Posts
Nice, er, pumps!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts