MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I can't find the specific info on here. But that could be because I'm trying home school my daughter while we are all on lock down and am alittle maxed out :LOL: .
I appear to have an oil leak from the water pump weep hole n my 2000 F4 750. I have the Design Corse Water Pump installed. Which seal on the water pump is it when it is an oil leak and what does it mean?

Thanks In advance

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
Oil seal on the shaft that drives the pump. Not the one in the pump.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Is it an oil leak or chain lube , I only ask cause the guy that bought my 1078 had exactly the same issue or so he thought and it turned out to be chain lube getting hot and going all over the place

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought it could be chain lube too. But I use chain wax and they are very different consistency. I did a good check and I'm pretty darn sure it is oil it had even blown far enough up the front to look like it could be another oil pressure sender gone but after a good cleanup it wasn't.
Can anyone save me the trouble and advise the specs on the seal?

·
Registered
314 Posts
The seal you want is part no 8A0028855. Size as marked on the seal is 12 22 6/6.5 . Other markings are 100239 and 50G.
Its #3 in the parts book page below. The parts book is on Donsey's site.

As I recall you need to remove the bearings to get the oil seal out. If you are disturbing the water seal #22 p/n 800081237 you should probably replace it. Its part plastic part rubber so will be a genuine part.

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
You might actually have to contact Design Corse. The picture above is the stock MV pump. The sealing system may be similar, but not the same.

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
Could it just be the o-ring that seals the unit into the cases?? Is the oil coming from the weep hole? or from around the pump body?

·
Registered
314 Posts
You might actually have to contact Design Corse. The picture above is the stock MV pump. The sealing system may be similar, but not the same.
RIP Designcorse!
The Jetprime website says:
"The unit is CNC Machined from 7075 T6 aluminium. All the normal fixings, bearings and the shaft can be purchased as original spare parts from any MV Agusta dealer and in this way you will have peace of mind that all of the parts which work with the engine are completely safe and compatible." so that is encouraging!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My understanding is the Design Corse pump uses the same seals as OEM. I'm 90% sure that wa one of their selling points :)
Could it just be the o-ring that seals the unit into the cases?? Is the oil coming from the weep hole? or from around the pump body?
I had not though of that.It is difficult to tell after riding it because a smear of oil was fairly well distributed. I must admit once I had confirmed it was not from the anywhere else on the bike I assumed it was from the weep hole when I observed oil in that area. It could be from the pump body. The pump is only a few years old.The bike is currently in getting the suspension serviced, re sprung and revalved so I will do a stationary test when it returns.
Thanks for all the advice gents.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In addition there appears to be no contamination of the oil from what I can see in the site glass so maybe it is merely the one that seals to the cases.

·
Registered
14,410 Posts
According to my 910 manual the part # 8A0028855 is used 2 places
the oil seal in the water pump and the shift shaft seal
You should be able to read the number on the shift shaft seal or measure it

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
Apparently Husqvarna uses the same seal and lists it as:
OIL SEAL BABSLD 22X12X6.5

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
According to my 910 manual the part # 8A0028855 is used 2 places
the oil seal in the water pump and the shift shaft seal
You should be able to read the number on the shift shaft seal or measure it
Hi Noel, I happen to have a spare one of those after replacing the shift shaft seal. I will look at the oil leak when it gets back from the suspension bloke.

Everyone:
In the interest of being prepared for a number of sources for the leak I am ordering the likely seals in advance to save on postage.
Is part number 800035809 the one that seals to the case?

·
Registered
14,410 Posts
That's the number for the O-ring on the outside of the water pump
Here's my brand new spare water pump.......that's not dirt, It's
porosity in the shit MV casting.....look on the right.....the casting was crooked
20200406_230926.jpg

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And first prize goes to!
I got the bike back from the suspension shop. I couldn't spot the leak stationary so took it for a quick run. I think I found my problem... The water pump doesn't look to be fully home and that looks like the seal is pinched in the green circle. 2nd pic is the water pump housing on the case. I guess I will need to chamfer it down a bit like this: Installing Design Corse high output water pump

I had it fitted by a mechanic when I purchased the bike when the valve clearances were done as I didn't have the ability to at the time. I now have more time, space and tooling so will do it myself.

I'm hoping to find some time next week to pull it off and fit a new seal. One stupid question:
I need to drop the coolant AND OIL to replace that seal?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On the plus side I think I fixed the steering/handling problem. Very noticeable improvement in a very short ride. It's not folding the front underneath me now blowing through the compression. Didn't really get to test the rear yet but generally mechanical grip has improved out of sight. Can't wait to take it through the hills.

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
You shouldn't need to drop the oil....

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks mate, Pulled the pump off tonight. All seems fine on the shaft seal.
  • I added some relief where the housing was touching the case. Wow that aluminium is soft. After doing that there is about 1-2mm clearance from the case now. It wasn't stopping the water pump going any further. The fixture points on the pump to the case were. The original pics above with the weep hole are as far as it goes on.
  • The seal looks fine if not alittle under size. I wonder if under some conditions and pressure some oil is blowing past there? I'm considering just greasing up the seal and putting it back on to see if that helps. OR going to the local bearing place and getting the next size up CS seal.
  • I don't see any oil in the coolant.
  • The oil in the sight glass looks normal.
  • So at this stage I don't plan on pulling the pump apart.
Thoughts?

Why does the site keep rotating my images?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts