MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coolant is coming out of the hole in the back of the water pump, so I ordered a new seal. I have the pump off the bike and the impeller removed. However, I do not know how best to proceed from this point.

Is there a way to remove the seal without removing the shaft?

Assuming I have to remove the shaft: According to the manual, I have to heat the water pump body up to 120˚C, then remove the shaft. I have a 2008 Brutale and the shaft design changed from what is in the manual. Which way does the shaft come out (I just want to make sure I don't try to tap it out in the wrong direction)?

Just for kicks, I looked at the 990/1090 engine manual and they don't even show how to take the pump apart anymore.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, reading the manual for the fifth time, I am not even sure if I have to heat anything to remove the shaft. I can't tell if the shaft is supposed to just come out (though which direction is still not clear, especially with the newer design that has two ridges on it, see screen shot of parts below) and the heating the pump body is only if the bearings need to be removed?

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no heating required, but gentle force, when clip removed
Thanks for the quick reply. I am just trying to understand how this is all held together. I am assuming if I have to remove the clip, then I should remove the shaft by pushing it out towards the engine side? So when I remove the shaft, the bearings will be on the shaft? Otherwise, why remove the single clip?

I am trying to clarify, because on the older version, there are two clips, and the smaller clip was around the shaft - so I could see why you'd have to remove that if all you wanted to remove was the shaft and not the bearings. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Chris
I just did this work on my 2004 brutale, yes the shaft must be taken out of the pump housing, c-clip. There were two sets of seals, both easy to replace. You'll want a new set of o-rings for reassembly....there are 3. There is a sticky under the tech tips sections that has good color photos and some added instructions. Good luck.
Jeff

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chris
I just did this work on my 2004 brutale, yes the shaft must be taken out of the pump housing, c-clip. There were two sets of seals, both easy to replace. You'll want a new set of o-rings for reassembly....there are 3. There is a sticky under the tech tips sections that has good color photos and some added instructions. Good luck.
Jeff
You're looking in the wrong manual mate.
I know they're not all exactly the same but...
Did you check this section ? - http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=107834
This thread - http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36945
I have been through all of the threads I can find, including the ones you list, and nowhere does anyone mention if the shaft needs to be pushed out in a certain direction. Also, I am looking in the engine manual for the 910S. There isn't an engine manual for the Euro3 910R or the 1078 Brutale - at least not on your website.

As you can see in the image from the thread you linked to above, the shaft design changed and now has ridges on it and only a single cir-clip is used and it is not on the shaft but against the housing. I am concerned that because the shaft has those two ridges it may only come out in one direction (not knowing what the inside of the housing looks like).

So far I have not been able to get the shaft out.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
Chris, assembly diagrams show the parts in order of assembly.

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
If you have the requisite clip undone, it will probably take some coaxing to the the shaft out.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have the requisite clip undone, it will probably take some coaxing to the the shaft out.
That is the part that is confusing to me and the difference between the shaft referenced in the engine manual and the one on my bike and I believe the 1078. There is only one cir-clip and it is the one "holding" the bearing in. There isn't a cir-clip on the shaft. So what is "holding" the new shaft design in? I assume that is where the ridges on the shaft come in to play?

In the manual (I've attached a screen shot, too) these are the steps:

D) Take the impeller out (4) from its shaft (5)
E) Separate the impeller (4) from its shaft (5) by unscrewing.

Which would imply that you take the shaft out without removing the bearings - and that would seem to make sense.

I took a photo of my water pump with the clip in just so you can see there is only one and not the second one on the shaft.

I may just give up and take it into the dealer tomorrow - but it is frustrating not being able to figure it out :).

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
I know this may sound silly, but you haven't removed the other seeger ring...not that it should matter...

I am assuming the outer half of the pump casing is removed....

In your picture, the shaft would push out toward the towel...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know this may sound silly, but you haven't removed the other seeger ring...not that it should matter...

I am assuming the outer half of the pump casing is removed....
There is only one seeger ring and I put it back in just for the photo. That is what I am trying to explain, there isn't a second ring on the shaft - only the one on the outside.

Yes, the other half is removed, and I even managed to get the impeller off - that was a bugger.

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
Well, I suppose what I would try, since your table obviously must have a hole in it for the shaft to pass through, is to use a plastic mallet or a steel hammer and wood block to tap the shaft out.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I suppose what I would try, since your table obviously must have a hole in it for the shaft to pass through, is to use a plastic mallet or a steel hammer and wood block to tap the shaft out.
That's what I've been trying with no luck. I went from a rubber mallet to a heavy steel hammer - tapping lightly to hitting it fairly hard...

Thanks for trying to help, I appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
Could you post a picture of the inside of the housing and shaft...

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
I would also think you'd be able to pull that seal without removing the shaft....

I have a pump on my work bench. I'll have a look tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
The shaft presses out towards the "engine" side of the housing.
Use the Workshop manual for all the Brutale's it's in there too, not just the engine manual Chris, if all else fails, PM me or Text me, it's not a problem at all.
I have spares and all model to look at, I'm just not on here too often anymore, but I'm willing to help anytime, there's gold in these blue boxes.

Here's a DropBox link to the latest 989-1078 engine manual, same waterpump -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sa1tei1tjbxskq8/mv_agusta_Brutale_989-1078_engine_manual_B2577_GB_ed2.pdf?dl=0

But the Workshop manual should do.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
That description and the drawing seem to at least match in sequence...WTF.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts