MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the upgraded propeller in a water pump actually work? Is it a hard to install for a layman like myself.? Sorry if a repost.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Have one to fit to mine, just awaiting the seals to arrive before I do. Will let you know how it goes, but all intense and purposes, stripping a pump and re-building it is quite simple. You can find the diagrams for the water pump for your bike on www.bike-parts-mv.com, they vary slightly, but the diagram will give you a detailed insight into what you need to do. Correct fitment of the seals is imperative, so make sure you have all the parts when you undertake it.

From what I've read up, it will improve cooling, more so on the 750, but still has an effect on 1000. That said, the upgraded pump is supposed to be the best solution, but costs more and a remap seems to be required to gain the best benefit even with an upgraded impeller or pump. There are various ways to tackle cooling, including muzzy (metal) fan blades, extra fan, reprogramming when the fan kicks in and so on. I personally will be starting with the impeller upgrade, my bike had a re-map at some point so it may have been addressed then. Who knows, it may already have the impeller, but that's not in it's documented history so I bought one to do it anyway! ;)

Good luck with it and I'm sure you will find this forum extremely useful, there are many knowledgeable and decent folk who will give you the best advice. I'm new to MV ownership and this forum is a must for any MV owner, the community is fantastic!

P.S your profile is only partially complete and no bike in the signature, but assume you have a gen1 F4 from the partial profile image?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Does the upgraded propeller in a water pump actually work? Is it a hard to install for a layman like myself.? Sorry if a repost.
Also, make sure you pay attention to maintenance schedule for your bike and I would change the coolant every 2-5 years max. Maintenance is key to a properly functioning motorcycle. ;)

·
Administrator
19,055 Posts
The short answer is ..YES, the updated impeller works, and MAYBE...I find it a simple job. I do not know your skill and experience level. There is a thread somewhere that reviews the step-by-step.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I now have a brand new Impeller UPGRADE (bought for £173.24 delivered to the UK) and the seals (Part no 10 & 8 in the image) bought separately. I ordered 2 of each seal and the impeller. But my bike has already had the Impeller upgrade, so I do not need to change it now. Silly me, should have stripped it first! So it's for sale as a kit if anyone wants it?
WATER-PUMP-MV-Agusta-moto-F4-2007-F4-312R-1000-1x1-F4-312R-1000-1x1-36.png
01032020421.jpg

·
Administrator
19,055 Posts
Isn't the cover also changed? Maybe I am wrong, but I thought the impeller was just 1 part of the upgrade.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Isn't the cover also changed? Maybe I am wrong, but I thought the impeller was just 1 part of the upgrade.
As I understand it, there are two options (or 3 for a complete aftermarket pump upgrade), the upgraded housing is a slightly deeper case to cater for the larger impeller, but the impeller I have bought is meant to be machined to fit inside the OEM pump by trimming the fin shape, but still has a much improved fin arrangement to aid cooling without changing the case. In any case it is a very slight change to the OEM casing so the standard one can be easily modified. I believe what I bought is a replacement impeller to work with in the OEM casing without needing to modify it though.

You will no doubt have far more knowledge than me as a newbie to this, but that was what understood to have purchased. I don't know if my pump is OEM or the one with the casing, it looks OEM, but then the replacement casing was designed to look the same with MV stamped into it. Either way, my bike has this upgrade and so I was a bit too quick to buy the part and no longer have a use for it. :cautious:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yup... That certainly looks like a rather roughly "machined down" "upgraded OEM" impeller -- I was considering doing the same for my 750SR -- but I would try to do a nicer job in the lathe.. :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes the pump is very very easy to install. I used this video to help me
My old pump was a bit stuck and had trouble taking it off, but it came off eventually..

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yup... That certainly looks like a rather roughly "machined down" "upgraded OEM" impeller -- I was considering doing the same for my 750SR -- but I would try to do a nicer job in the lathe.. :cool:
Really. It's pretty smooth to the touch and is exactly how it was purchased. Has not been changed in anyway by me. All fins are even and chamfered edges. Maybe you should manufacture them yourself to sell?!

·
Registered
228 Posts
@312Dan .. Naturally I have only the photo to judge from, perhaps making my comment a bit ... hmmm... It just looks to me as if the top part of the impeller blades have been Turned down rather roughly, leaving a jagged edge to the blades -- Could be a trick of the light falling on the machined surface .. I doubt very much that it will have any negative effect on the function of the impeller or reliability, even IF they were a bit rough -- I would buy it off you, assuming it would fit my 750SR, but my bank statement says otherwise .. :cautious:

·
Registered
218 Posts
@312Dan .. Naturally I have only the photo to judge from, perhaps making my comment a bit ... hmmm... It just looks to me as if the top part of the impeller blades have been Turned down rather roughly, leaving a jagged edge to the blades -- Could be a trick of the light falling on the machined surface .. I doubt very much that it will have any negative effect on the function of the impeller or reliability, even IF they were a bit rough -- I would buy it off you, assuming it would fit my 750SR, but my bank statement says otherwise .. :cautious:
Yea, was a bit harsh from seeing a photo, especially when i was offering something to help someone else. I was happy with it, but mine already has the impeller upgrade, so i just used one of each seal (bought 2 of both) and put it back together. Hence having a brand new impeller and seals for sale if any use to someone else. Means all comes in one go rather than ordering separate bits like I had too and will of course be a bit of a saving ;) (y)

There are visible "lines" from the machining process, but it's pretty smooth to touch and chamfered edges. If being extremely particular, a bit of emery paper would make it as shiny as the rest of the surface area, but as you say, will function perfectly and is designed to fit a standard MV pump, without needing to change the casing. (y)

It's available as and when if anyone wants, just sitting on my coffee table in the mean time :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Anybody have links to new impeller add on. ?
There are various threads on here, that show the pump upgrade and the casing and impeller upgrade. I'm also happy to provide my phone number in a private message if you get stuck and have any questions, I'd be happy to help. Probably the "toughest" part would be separating the impeller from the shaft, but if you have grips/vice and a screwdriver you can do this easily enough. Doesn't take much to take apart and put back together though, took me about 2 hours or so with the coolant change and bleeding the system. Although the large seal needs to be located perfectly to avoid damage when torquing the casing back together.

Links for this site below that may help a bit;

Also worth having the workshop manual for your bike to hand for reference thanks to Donsy....
MV Agusta Team Double 3 Racing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts