MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who missed out on Alessandro's impeller mod and still want one I note that Emotouk is offering an impellor which they claim reduces temp by 8-10 degrees C. It lists for 150 Quid.

I would be very curious to hear what the results are from anyone who has installed Alessandro's impellor.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? They claim it's simple, and I figured you just pop off the cover, unscrew the impeller, screw on the new one and replace the cover. I'll have to read my shop manual first for a change.

Any of you Alessandro guys care to comment?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
toves33 said:
I hope that detailed instructions will folow as well. From what I understand, this is not an easy fix.
It's pretty straight forward actually.
I never done it but saw it being done and looked easy.
Just remember to take off the water cooler and the oil (or part of it, but in this case have the bike inclined to the right while you take off the water pump)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've just changed the mechanical seal in my waterpump, it's quite straight forward. You will need to drain the coolant first from the drain on the pump. I had to remove the pump completely and extract the shaft to do my job, not sure if you can spin off the impeller without removing the pump from the bike, I think you may be able to do that, perhaps someone who has done the mod could say if that's possible or not. If it's possible you wont need to drain any oil, in fact only a small amount came out when I removed the pump completely, keeping the bike leant over as MV-999R suggests will minimise the loss.

You don't need to remove the hoses from th pump.

Gazz

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I just replaced my impeller, it was pretty easy. You will have to drain the coolant first. Then you simply remove the 2 bolts holding the water pump assembly to the engine, and the pump can be pulled out, pulling directly toward you. No need to tilt the bike. Once the assembly is out of the bike (hoses still atached), there are 2 bolts that are located on the the pump cover from the engine side-- remove those, and the assembly splits apart. The half with the hoses attached to it stays with the bike, the other half that contains the impeller and shaft is now free to remove from the bike.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Stuck shaft

Just a word of warning not to do what I just did. I have a emoto impeller and set about putting it on. I got the water pump off with no problem. I went to press the shaft with the impeller out of the water pump so I could clamp it tightly like the photo shows. The impeller is thread locked onto the shaft, as it should be. While pressing the shaft out of the pump, I bent the pump housing. The shaft is really stuck in the bearing. I was affraid to clamp very hard on the end of the shaft for fear of bending it. It looks like I'll be buying a new water pump. It would have been nice if emoto gave better instructions. I think that some shafts will press out easier then others. How lucky do you feel?
Tuna :banghead:

·
Registered
779 Posts
There are two designs to the water pump shaft. The old design (what I shown above) is smooth and you can just push it out with your hand. The new design has a divider that separates the two bearings and are pressed in. (On the fiche part # 7)

You don't have to pull the shaft to unscrew the impeller... You can clamp the housing lightly and jam the shaft in place. (Used a small 7mm wrench)

If you pressed the shaft out on the new design, you should also replace the seals and bearings. (you can source the bearings from your local bearing shop at half the price from the dealer. Single Row Bearing #6001)

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
And you can buy a used water pump from some one who parts out bikes for half the price of the dealer.

Some one who has two or three waterpumps on the shelf.

CAG

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've just changed the mechanical seal in my waterpump, it's quite straight forward. You will need to drain the coolant first from the drain on the pump. I had to remove the pump completely and extract the shaft to do my job, not sure if you can spin off the impeller without removing the pump from the bike, I think you may be able to do that, perhaps someone who has done the mod could say if that's possible or not. If it's possible you wont need to drain any oil, in fact only a small amount came out when I removed the pump completely, keeping the bike leant over as MV-999R suggests will minimise the loss.

You don't need to remove the hoses from th pump.

Gazz

I need remove the pump too because i have the famous "pump leak"!

I need to change the mechanical seal like our friend Gazz,, and I'm a little dubious if I will succeed alone to doing it! Normally I am rather good in mechanics, but my problem it is that I am not very well equipped out of tools, then I hope that I will succeed to doing it...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Question for you all. I need to replace the mechanical seal on my pump but I have a 2007 F4R...the shaft is not slipping out and even with a few love taps from a hammer there is no movement. Does this mean the shaft I have has the bearings in two spots and requires the housing to be heated to 120 deg. To slip the whole unit (shaft and bearings) out? Trying to have this thing up and running but the socal meet so any help would be great!

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Question for you all. I need to replace the mechanical seal on my pump but I have a 2007 F4R...the shaft is not slipping out and even with a few love taps from a hammer there is no movement. Does this mean the shaft I have has the bearings in two spots and requires the housing to be heated to 120 deg. To slip the whole unit (shaft and bearings) out? Trying to have this thing up and running but the socal meet so any help would be great!
Have a look at this thread, have you removed the circlip from the shaft ?
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36945
It should just slide out then, with a bit of tapping it should come out easily, I did not need to heat mine. My seals were fine, I just removed it to have a look.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had seen that thread before but I do not recall having two circlips, only one....the larger of the two. I will have another look again tomorrow with I am near the bike again. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
102 Posts
So now that I have fixed the water pump seal on my 2007 F4 I figured I would let you know what needs to be done. If you look at the illustrated parts breakdown on page one for the newer design it is a little deceiving as it shows the shaft coming out the front of the unit... it really is removed from the rear. To remove the shaft from the housing you need to do two things... First remove the circlip from the rear of the shaft next to the bearing...second you need to remove the impeller from the shaft...once this is complete you tap the shaft out of the rear of the housing. This is where I was having problems, because the maintenance publication for the previous version says to slide the impeller and shaft out as one. When you do remove the shaft it will also remove the rear bearing so keep that in mind as you tap it out. Hope this helps.

Steve

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I got the first bearing out but the second one and the oil side seal just wont come out. I tried heating it to 250F and pushing them out with the impeller shaft... everything shot of hitting it with a blow torch and beating on it with a hammer. This is the later design, not the one with the smooth shaft.

Anyone else have trouble getting the bearings out?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts