MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I upgraded the water pump impeller and after completing and runng the bike stationary for a bit to make sure she was tight I came back to her a few days later to find some water droplets on the garage floor just under the water pump. I took it apart again and re-checked everything and made sure that all the surfaces were clean and smooth (which they were from my upgrade job) and put it back together again. Made sure all the surfaces and connections were completely dry and left her again for a few more days. Came back and this time only found two or three drops and when i turned her on there was no evidence of any leaks. However the casing of the water pump nearest the engine had some signs of dampness on my fingers when i probed back there.
I took it apart again and noticed this hole (which i think is in the oil lubricated part of the assembly (that goes into the engine casing) but nevertheless i can't shake the feeling that something needs to be put in there.

The hole is almost exactly at 6 o clock on the tube in the engine casing into which the water pumpmassembly pushes into.

Can someone please help by telling me if there should be something in there which has dropped out over time? It's doing my head in :ahhh:

I renewed the three gaskets and made sure all interacting surfaces were clean and smooth.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
?

That's the weep hole.... sounds like the water pump seal is going bad

the hole is there to let you know the seal is leaking and so water won't get into the

motor

:popcorn:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked other threads on here (BG Well's and foguete's and couldn't see the same hole in their photos - especially foguete's who had a good photo looking straight in) besides that I replaced all three o rings. Will look at it again closely tomorrow in case it got accidentally knicked on way in.
Thanks Noel.
BRgds.,
Takis

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Look at the pictures in my photo albums, it's there. The pictures from BGWells is a different waterpump to yours.
The seals Noel is referring to is inside the pump shaft housing, nothing to do with the three O-rings.
http://gallery.mvagusta.net/donsy/cooling/

Make sure you order the right seals for your pump model.

I personally think the MV pump impeller upgrade is a waste of time, on the 1000cc bikes, maybe it's more affective on the 750's.

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
?

Like Donsy said there are 2 different Factory water pumps......as to seal arrangement

I believe the pictures Brian posted were of the Design Corse pump when they forgot

the weep hole...... that has been corrected

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
?

all that said, I have a brand new water pump with a pin hole casting flaw in the O-ring

groove, ~ 0.5mm but it goes ~4mm deep......epoxy time

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Donsy - on my 750 it does seem to make an improvment. Takes a lot longer for the bike to heat up. Thanks for the photos. Mine's a 2004 F4 750 evo3. I'll order the seals. It'll hold for now until I get them. Just very happy I've learnt why it's been weeping down there.

Noel - i was thinking the same thing that there might have been a casting flaw and that the bike had been doing this for ages. Thankfully not and now just a matter of ordering and waiting for the seals to arrive.

Thank you both for your help. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Look at the pictures in my photo albums, it's there. The pictures from BGWells is a different waterpump to yours.
The seals Noel is referring to is inside the pump shaft housing, nothing to do with the three O-rings.
http://gallery.mvagusta.net/donsy/cooling/

Make sure you order the right seals for your pump model.

I personally think the MV pump impeller upgrade is a waste of time, on the 1000cc bikes, maybe it's more affective on the 750's.
what impeller do you recomend for a 2009 1078rr... or should i just get the moto corsa pump upgrade?
thanks, chris

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get the Moto Corse pump upgrade.
Even though the impeller on my 750 has made a good positive change (bear in mind here in UK temps do not typically rise very high) I also had to change some of the seals and other components inside the water pump because of the age of my bike. Considering what I spent at the end of it I should have just gone for the upgraded complete pump.
Knowing what I know now back then I would have coughed up the extra £'s and gone for the new upgraded pump without an second thought.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Show me this Moto Corsa or Corse upgrade TakisM, or are you referring to the Design Corse pump?
On the 1078 you already have the latest MV waterpump Chris, welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
the water pump may make a small difference but if the bike is sitting stationary it will not help much. There is no air flow across the radiator and nothing to take the heat out from under fairing. Going fast is the best solution. The pump from Design Corse is a nice piece of equipment and looks good

·
Registered
847 Posts
what impeller do you recomend for a 2009 1078rr... or should i just get the moto corsa pump upgrade?
thanks, chris
I found that before I had the upgraded impeller, temps ranged from 217 F to 232F when I was stuck at an intersection waiting for the light to change. After the upgrade rarely do I see a temp of 220F even in traffic.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Show me this Moto Corsa or Corse upgrade TakisM, or are you referring to the Design Corse pump?
On the 1078 you already have the latest MV waterpump Chris, welcome to the Forum.
My 2009 1078 came with the old pump and it was upgraded under warranty at the dealer in Miami.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry Donsy, you're correct. I meant the design corse one. I wasn't paying attention. I stand by what i said but for the design corse pump. I bought the upgraded impeller but also had to change other parts inside (seals, etc) due to age of my bike and fact she'd been sitting for years didn't help either. The upgraded impeller has made a significant difference and for a few squid more should have gone for the design corse pump. Remember her in uk temperatures don't really soar much so bike isn't having to fight very high ambient temperatures to begin with.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
No worries TakisM, terminology is very important in too many things we say and mention on here, especially when someone else is reading our posts afterwards.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are absolutely right Donsy.
I've been away too long. Recently came back to it and missed out on a lot. Still got the same bike that i bought new in 2004 and love it, wouldn't give it up for anything else but need to catch up so am greatful for the heads up. It burdens you for which i'm sorry but helps me (and future readers). I will try to be more careful.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
You are absolutely right Donsy.
I've been away too long. Recently came back to it and missed out on a lot. Still got the same bike that i bought new in 2004 and love it, wouldn't give it up for anything else but need to catch up so am greatful for the heads up. It burdens you for which i'm sorry but helps me (and future readers). I will try to be more careful.
I noticed your return TakisM, and it's awesome, definitely not a burden. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts