MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys,

I am having an issue with my bike not starting after a heavy downpour in florida. I could not store it in my garage for about 18 hours and in that time it has rained for maybe 4-6 hours and now it does not start.

After the rain, when I turned on the engine, everything lights up (display etc) but when I hit the start button, no response. There seems to be a faint click sound but nothing beyond that. Battery is about 2 months old (yuasa). Checked the voltage -12.7 volts.

I jump started it by rolling it through a slope in first and quickly releasing the clutch. It starting ok but instantly i could feel something was not right. There was uneven revving and inconsistent. Felt very torquey for some reason.

Anyways, I continued keeping it on and riding around my house. Power felt weird and uneven. Finally after about 10 mins of keeping it on, it went off for good with a feeling you get when you are running out of gas except my gas tank is full.

I put a light through the gas tank as many posts suggest, but not sure what I should looking for? When I turn the ignition on, there is slight bubbles sort of like a fizz inside and then it goes away.

Lot of posts suggest this - "Does the pump prime and then stop?". how do I check this? There is black wire in the back left section but it is opaque.

I have a feeling my gas tank is flooded with water (since it started once and then died). I am thinking tomorrow in the am, figure out a way to completely empty the gas tank and refill. Also, get a multimeter and check for the relay starter. (I believe the manual tells us how to do it).

I spent time on the forum (searching) and theres a Lot of discussion on forum on diagnosing this. unfortunately I am an idiotic noob to put things together and am out of options right now. Last resort is to take to the dealership in ocala (50 miles from me so not that bad).

Looking for recommendation. I can barely sleep knowing my mv is not well.

Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
22,066 Posts
It is very unlikely your gas tank is flooded with water.
The possibilities are wet electrical connections causing electrical leakage to ground, or the infamous fuel hose popped off syndrome.

To check the fuel hose, look into your fuel tank with a flash light shining toward the rear upper left of the inside of the tank (as you sit on the bike). There is a black loop of hose that should curve sharply down toward the bottom of the tank...if it points up toward the top of the tank...or looks to be straight, then you have probably suffered this failure. Then, it would be time to replace your fuel hoses and fuel filter and do the can-ectomy that is stickied in the maintenance section.

If the problem is water in the electrics of the bike, then clean all the electrical connections you can find with a good electrical contact spray. Dry off everything that you can. Charge your battery very well...a fully charged battery should have 13.2 volts...check your grounds are solid and clean, then fire that rig up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If the bike was ok before the rain then check some of the simple things first. With that amount of water and because the bike is leaning over when parked, most of the water would have been running off the bike at the lowest points and especially around the stand fittings, so check that the stand connection is making good contact when it is up. Unless this connection is made the bike will not start although all the lights would have been showing as good.

·
Administrator
19,517 Posts
I don't have an answer but do want to point out that MV uses waterproof connectors on most electrical components (as do all modern bikes) and are designed to be ridden in wet weather without concern.....riders in the UK among other countries would never buy one if not.

Besides checking all your connections and fully charging the battery, you might want to check that your spark plugs haven't fouled. And rotten E10 gasoline (which loves to gather water from the athmosphere) could be a cause....also fouling the plugs.

So if you find nothing obvious after charging the battery, drain the tank (there is a drain, although it is used as air inlet for the EVAP system) ..... May be easier if you pull the tank.....and replace the plugs.....which will involve pulling the tank.

Hope you get your beauty going good soon.

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
fafman;
when you post problems please give us a year, model and milage .....some things are year/model specific

you said the battery was 2 months old.....so the bike is probably 5-6 years old.......

fuel lines........

they are supposed to be replaced every 3 years, its in the book:naughty:

·
Super Moderator
22,066 Posts
Any update here?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi guys,

Sorry, I am in the middle of a move to Jacksonville and between that and the bike having issues, I have literally had no time.

Left it with Sebastian at Mellimoto ducati (great dealership for guys in the FL region and around). He said he let it dry for a few days and cleaned up the connectors and the starter and it started right up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fafman;
when you post problems please give us a year, model and milage .....some things are year/model specific

you said the battery was 2 months old.....so the bike is probably 5-6 years old.......

fuel lines........

they are supposed to be replaced every 3 years, its in the book:naughty:
Will do next time. The bike is 3 years old and 3800 miles.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
hi guys,

Looks like my issues are never ending :(

so I finally finish my move to Jacksonville and this past past weekend I go the dealer and tow back my bike. It started just fine at the dealership.

I park in my garage for two days, since it was raining. Yesterday morning, I go try starting the bike, nothing :thewife:

The fuel pump primes and when I hit the starter button, nothing but a "clock sound" near to where the battery is located.

Started to look up the forum again and the manual. Most of it point to the battery. I ended up ordering a brand new battery and putting that in. Turn the key, everything lights up like before and I can hear the fuel pump prime. I hit the starter, same damn thing again. Just that click sound.

Other usual suspects seem to be in order. Kill switch is not on, Side stand is up, gear neutral and also pulling in the clutch while hitting the starter button. Checked the fuse on the solenoid as well as the blue fuses at the right side (underneath the clutch). Are there other fuses that I need to check?

Any other thoughts guys? TIA

2010 F4 with 3800 miles

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The click from the solenoid means it wants to start but isn't turning over.

So if the battery is fully charged then cables to the starter motor are next thing to check and then the starter motor itself.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Maybe check the battery voltage before and after you turn the key on, then when you try to start. If there's a substantial drop in voltage just with the key on, then it may be shorting somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
The click from the solenoid means it wants to start but isn't turning over.

So if the battery is fully charged then cables to the starter motor are next thing to check and then the starter motor itself.
Richards right, can you put a bridge piece across the starter solenoid to check if the solenoid contacts are good, and it will then also show you if the starter motor is okay or faulty.

Have you tried push starting the bike at all ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have put in a new fully charged battery since lot of the posts indicate thats the #1 issue usually. Same click sound. I have also bridged the solenoid but no change.

And donsy, I did try to push start it couple of times but no bueno.

Its at the dealer now. Hopefully nothing major... I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
maybe check the wire loom leading to the solenoid. Mine was shorting there badly and seemed like a dead battery and also drained the battery quickly. Mine was extreme, melting the wires, connector and solenoid case, but never blew a fuse. Can't hurt to have the wires checked.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had the same thing a while back , search my previous posts , disconnect the battery and re connect, i ended up having it towed to a dealer for them to tell me that , haha

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
arghh just heard back from the dealer... Starter motor is bad. Surprising considering its only 3 years old and has less than 4K miles....

They are quoting $820 including 2.5 hours of labor :thewife:

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
?

Richards right, can you put a bridge piece across the starter solenoid to check if the solenoid contacts are good, and it will then also show you if the starter motor is okay or faulty.
No, he needs to run a cable from Battery+ to the starter assuming the starter has a good ground....and the battery is well grounded to the motor

remember this bike has been VERY wet......so EVERY connection is suspect

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
?

It's Italian Noel, all connections are suspect wet or dry ;-)
Rich;
I have no issues with electrical connections.......

when I get a bike every electrical connector is taken apart, cleaned if necessary and coated with dielectric grease

I live 3 blocks from the Pacific Ocean......everything corrodes

current stable has 145,000 mi with zero issues... other than the Aprilia RSVR, battery terminals loosen :wtf::wtf:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts