MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just a thought on the pressures involved ... Oil pressures would normally be much higher than the pressure in the coolant system .. resulting in oil in the coolant, not the other way round if the leak is between oil-pump and water-pump.. or what am I missing here??

Oh, and -- don't leave an MV out in the rain in Scotland ... please... at least use a waterproof cover

·
Administrator
19,486 Posts
Just a thought on the pressures involved ... Oil pressures would normally be much higher than the pressure in the coolant system .. resulting in oil in the coolant, not the other way round if the leak is between oil-pump and water-pump.. or what am I missing here??
The water pump in the sump is not subject to pressurized oil flow.

·
Vendor
5,276 Posts
Unless you overheated the motor I doubt it’s the head gasket.
Probably water pump leaking as suggested.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
so.. i cant seem to get the oil pan off.. these screws are stripped... any way to get them off?? im not too sure what to do here now to be honest.

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,486 Posts
Easiest thing to do would be to drill the head off.

These are torx heads aren't they? You may be able to pound a hex key into the stripped head (the pounding with a hammer will also help loosen the threads).

If you can find a left hand drill bit (5 mm would be a good size) the screw may back out as you start to drill off the head.

Old mechanics have many tricks in their tool kit for this problem. No doubt theknurl will offer some of his.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi Guys, so ive made some progress.. after a month of waiting for a new oil sump gasket... i think i have found some underlying issues with oil leaking onto the floor each time i park.

One of the bolts that holds the sump pan to the engine isnt actually there... well.. its there but the bolt head has snapped and i only know just noticed it.. that particular bolt isnt pressuring that part of the sump pan to the gasket...do you think that single snapped bolt would cause the bike to drip oil drop by drop ? id say one drop every 3-4 hours after riding, and over night there is about 4-5 drops of oil on the ground...

also, the sump pan is NOT an easy task to remove! i had to remove the entire exhaust system to be able to get the oil sump pan off.. odd.

now my next question is... upon removing the sump pan, the existing gasket had this medium hard rubbery smuge all over it... im guessing its some sort of sealant? do i need this sealant on the new gasket when i install it? if so.. what sealant do i use? or, can i just use the new gasket on its own? im pretty confused about that.

any advice would be much appreciated, i need my bike now, walking to work in the cold UK weather isnt easy... :(

cheers.

Ersan.

·
Administrator
19,486 Posts
As a rule of thumb, gaskets should not have sealant applied.
Some people (myself included) will smear a very light coating of grease on the gasket to ease reuse if cover (sump in your case) is removed, and to hold it in place whilst installing the cover.
Yes, the single missing fastener head would allow a slight leak at that point in the gasket.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
As a rule of thumb, gaskets should not have sealant applied.
Some people (myself included) will smear a very light coating of grease on the gasket to ease reuse if cover (sump in your case) is removed, and to hold it in place whilst installing the cover.
Yes, the single missing fastener head would allow a slight leak at that point in the gasket.
Okay awesome! that clears that one up! now my next obstacle is removing that headless bolt.. without using a welder... what do you reckon is the best way to get this off? ive tried pliers with not much luck if im being honest.

im so close... just need to clean it up and tidy some parts and my bike should be as good as new! :D

·
Super Moderator
22,038 Posts
Which of these is the offending screw?

·
Super Moderator
22,038 Posts
That should just unscrew if you grab it with pliers...or is it broken of flush with the surface?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So now, i need some more help. i was told that removing the sump cover would allow for me to access the water pump to change its seals. but the water pump unit is quite high upinside the engine cover.. how do i get the seals changed?

pump1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
22,038 Posts
You have to disassemble it to get to the seals.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Okay, so ive removed it all, from what i can see the seals are in good condition.. do i need to remove the impeller to see the seals inside there also? if so, how do i remove the impeller without breaking it. it feels like plastic to me. i dont want to force it too much. Also, is the threading on the impeller reverse thread?

·
Super Moderator
22,038 Posts
The threading is normal thread. Use care and a strap wrench. There may be some low strength loctite on the threads.

·
Super Moderator
22,038 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
alright. so i went as carefully and slowly as i could.. turned it towards the left. since its a normal thread...aaaand one of the impellers broke off. now what the fuck do i do? why is this so hard to remove? i dont get it. is it still possible to use this with a broken impeller? or do i now have to fork out some major cash on a new pump unit?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts