MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be streaming video of tomorrow’s (Wednesday, November 8th, 2006) transit of the Sun by Mercury (it’ll look like a little black ball going across the front of the Sun…but with my telescope, you’ll see a view of the Sun that you don’t get everyday). You can see live video from our house in Oro Valley, AZ on my Takahashi TOA-150 with dual-stacked Coronado Instruments SolarMax90 Hydrogen-Alpha filters at:

http://www.ferrarispot.com/solar

I plan to start the video stream around 12pm CST, I may start it a little earlier while I’m setting up. Don’t go outside and look at the sun without some type of filter; it can seriously damage your eyes. For more information on the transit, times, and viewing tips, you can go to:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/20oct_transitofmercury.htm

Let me know what you think of it.

Steve

P.S. This is all dependent on 1. The technology working (it’s working right now…but who knows what gremlins might get inside over night) and 2. The weather cooperates (there is a lot of water vapor in the latest satellite images…it may cause some high Cirroform clouds in our area…keep your fingers crossed)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Steve, thanks for that. I have the page open so I can see it.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Steve, will it be possible to record the event and watch it later. My wife would be especially pleased being a new astronomer. She just picked up her first telescope, a 10" dobsonian.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RobP said:
Steve, will it be possible to record the event and watch it later. My wife would be especially pleased being a new astronomer. She just picked up her first telescope, a 10" dobsonian.
I think so. In addition to streaming the images, I am grabbing a still frame every 10 seconds. I should be able to edit those into a 1 minute timelapse movie. The only issue is that it may be a little jerky because I will probably have to move the scope a few times, adjust the video settings, and possibly change lenses for closer in views. When you do that kind of stuff and then compress 5 hours worth of images down to one minute, it gets a little ragged. We'll see how it turns out!

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I'll be watching, thanks mate :)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
dagnit i ddoid nnott sssssseee any thinng ......i staired att thhhe susn foor over 5 minyuts bbbutt andddddddd cannt seee anythiing!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not online yet...you should see an image of the Sun and a message saying what time it'll be online.

I am setting up a second site right now also...there seems to be some connection issue with the hosting company on the primary site. If your image isn't updating (the clock should update every 3-5 seconds) try the backup site at:

www.mondobrands.com/solar

Steve

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're welcome. I'm trying to clean up the image a little bit. I'm also going to try a different lens in a second (before the transit starts)...stay tuned for more!

BTW, the main site is up and running (www.ferrarispot.com), I turned off the back up site for now to conserve bandwidth from the source.

Steve

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The big yellow thing is the Sun. Mercury is TINY compared to the Sun. I have the image inverted so you can see Mercury more clearly now (the bright ball along the bottom of the screen...for now). I will go back to color in a while...

·
Registered
522 Posts
the back up sight has a nice pic of a solar flare.i opend it befor i read you closed it.thanks for the links never even seen anything on the news about it but it's raining here so i couldn't see it form here.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're welcome folks. I enjoy sharing this kind of stuff. We're going to be putting up a website call SpaceSpot.com where we'll stream events like this (and other stuff too). Send me an email to [email protected] if you want me to let you know when the site is live.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts