MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
haha - figures someone would do that.

those are jet turbine motors for model airplanes - made by Jet Cat

i saw a model of a F-15 and a F-117 that used those. it was so wild to see and hear a model airplane with turbine engines. honestly, it couldn't have been any more real. the F-117 was really wild. according to a book i read, that plane is not stable in the air without the avionics. basically, if you lose the computers in that plane, it'll go into the ground. the model didn't have any fancy avionics, but the guy who built it admitted that it was the most difficult plane to fly he's ever made.

·
Registered
128 Posts
First off let me say, I WANT ONE!!!!!!.....how friggin cool would that be.
Altoon, you are correct about the stability of the F-117......the f-16 and 117 are the two most unstable flight platforms in the air today.
Both systems require an advanced avionics package that require the computer to make constant flight control inputs to flight surfaces to correct for pilot error to keep them in the air.
In fact both platforms are unflyable without the computers. That is why neither plane have any manual input to flight control surfaces via cable or push rod.
Heres an interesting fact for you, when the f-16 first came out, the yoke had not movement at all, it was all pressure sensetive.........pilots could not fly it.
so they put about a 1/4 inch of play in the stick so that the pilots had some feedback.
Chris

·
Registered
796 Posts
to bad you have to launch yourself from a plane first. but i ve seen something in the news about some british guys developing a similar machine,the only difference was that you we re able to take off from the ground

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Hey Griff, don't worry, there's still hope for you! You're fine, you've got an MV!

A little story.

I come from an "aviation" family, from my step mother's side. Her dad flew for years, her brother did, she did, and my eventually dad did too. So I got into planes when I was a kid and got to take the stick a lot when we flew.

But you know what? I can't think of a situation in a plane or any other flying vehicle that would match having the throttle pinned on an MV going through Kettle Bottoms at Road America. You're just about on your knee at around 145 mph. What can compare? Nothing for me.

Which is why I really need to get to some of the really big, fast tracks before I kick the bucket like Spa (Eau Rouge!), Phillip Island (Lukey Heights, Hayshed), Monza (Parabolica), etc.

But it would be cool to fly like this sometime.

·
Registered
419 Posts
ok.. but how does he itch his nose.

That is the coolest thing ever.. i absolutely want to be on that waiting list.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts