MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I washed my rear wheel like I normally have in the past and this is what it looks like now!

How the hell did this crap happen? I cleaned the wheel like I always have with all my other motorcycles but this looks horrible. I tried putting some honda polish on it but it still looks like that. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used eagle one wheel cleaner. I've used it forever, basically rinse the wheel with water, spay on wheel cleaner, rinse of and dry with a towel. Then I used honda polish as a polisher. I've done this mutiple times with all my other motorcycles and it never came out like I stripped the clear coat off.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I had a similar result over the whole bike when I used s100 on my sv650. Came to the conclusion that I made the mistake of washing in the sun and left the cleaner on for too long. If you agitate the wheel at all does it change the appearance? I'm not sure if the wheels are painted or powdercoated. If theyre painted you might try clay baring them. I've had great luck getting hard water spots and anything on top of the clear coat. If worst comes to worst and it does have a clear on it you could try either a da or orbital polisher with megs 105 and then 205 to cut and polish the wheel. Keep in mind this is completely irrelevant if the wheels are powdercoated.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, somehow it looks like the clearcoat was stripped. This blows, looks like I will have to go ahead and get my wheels powdercoated earlier then I thought. :thewife:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Try claying the wheel. If its on top of the clearcoat then you should be able to resolve it with ease. Should be able to find a clay bar at any automotive store. Youll need a lubricant of some sort. I use Optimum No Rinse, best stuff ever, and mix 2 oz/gal into a spray bottle. Spray it on the wheel, clay in circles, knead the clay so you have a constant clean bar, dry, wash to get any clay residue off. I doubt you stripped the clear since it looks like there are a few spots where the wheel still looks glossy but there isnt any sort of rise where the clear should be.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I've never washed my bike since buying it new in 2012. Only used WD40 and a cloth on the wheels (and mechanicals) and used various McGuire's detailers on the bodywork. Bike looks brand new and never had electrical issues.

Normally the claybars come with a lubricant.

·
Super Moderator
22,038 Posts
If the clear coat is stripped, you can easily tell by running your fingernail over the edge of the clear in the direction from dull to shiny...if it catches then the clear is stripped. If it is smooth, then the surface has been etched.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've had the exact same issue on my 1090R. The wheels aren't clear coated and the finish is a bit delicate for the harsher spray on hose off type cleaners. Mine were slightly dull from new due to the oxidation with no clear coat. I've since pulled them of and given them a machine buff with some Menzerna which brought them up better than new.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
That wheel is scrap. I have some gold stars to help you...Ill swap them and pay tje airmail +

Try the clay...Do what Chuck says too...

Joe

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update,

I went ahead and wiped the wheel down with wd40 and than waxed it. It looks like that did the trick. The wheel is back to it's normal look. Not quite as glossy as it was when new but I'd say very very close. I'll post up pics once I get back from indy. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
639 Posts
WD40 you just can't live without it !!!

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
WD40 you just can't live without it !!!
Yes You can!
Try Ballistol next time.
It does everything WD40 can do plus:
-disinfecting Your wounds
-clean and treat leathers
-protect and polish wood
-wipe of Your lady's make up
-polish any metals
-used in hospitals to sterilize instruments
-clean Your guns
-peoples even use it as salad dressing
Invented by the German military before the first world war.

·
Registered
602 Posts
haupti is not kidding - he is right.

I use that stuff and it is better than anything else I tried before

I also use Ballistol on the stiffer parts of my leather suit to widen it a little. Works perfect!

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Yes You can!
Try Ballistol next time.
It does everything WD40 can do plus:
-disinfecting Your wounds
-clean and treat leathers
-protect and polish wood
-wipe of Your lady's make up
-polish any metals
-used in hospitals to sterilize instruments
-clean Your guns
-peoples even use it as salad dressing
Invented by the German military before the first world war.
And as a deodorant???

1 - 20 of 43 Posts