MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping somebody can provide advise...this is the third time my Cannonball is at the dealer for the same oil leak. First two times they attempted to fix the leak, the bike was under warranty. Now the leak has returned (same place on engine) and the bike is not under warranty any longer.

Do I have any recourse? MV is claiming that I have to pay for the repairs due to the warranty being expired. I feel the bike should have been fixed correctly the first 2 times (when it was under warranty) Now I will be stuck with the bill for work that was supposedly "fixed"

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

·
Vendor
5,281 Posts
Hoping somebody can provide advise...this is the third time my Cannonball is at the dealer for the same oil leak. First two times they attempted to fix the leak, the bike was under warranty. Now the leak has returned (same place on engine) and the bike is not under warranty any longer.

Do I have any recourse? MV is claiming that I have to pay for the repairs due to the warranty being expired. I feel the bike should have been fixed correctly the first 2 times (when it was under warranty) Now I will be stuck with the bill for work that was supposedly "fixed"

Any guidance would be much appreciated.
You are right,the oil leak was reported under warranty so you are covered.Also the bike shop itself attempted repair and failed so they are obligated to repair it also.Don't let the shop try and get out of it.Push the point you want it fixed with no cost to you.

·
Registered
14,412 Posts
leaker?

Sawbones;
check with your State Consumer Affairs Dept........

for the Lemon Law.....

in most States they get 3 tries to fix it......

then you get the original purchase price back :drummer:

they screwed around with my buddy's Toyota Tundra for 80,000 mi.....he got the full purchase price back :naughty:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys. Donsy: the leak is on the left side of the motor. According to Mr. Ferracci it is leaking past an o ring that is near the generator. Leak is coming from the same place as it always has. Kind of disappointing that they want me to absorb the cost of the repairs. Not expecting special treatment but I bought the cannonball there and 2 years later, my Multistrada GT. Thought they would do more to help me.

I will keep fighting the good fight. Will let you know how it unfolds.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Directly from the Federal Trade Commissions website:

Resolving Disputes

If you have problems with a product or with getting warranty service:
  • Read your product instructions and warranty carefully. Don't expect features or performance that your product wasn't designed for, or assume warranty coverage that was never promised in writing. A warranty doesn't mean that you'll automatically get a refund if the product is defective—the company may be entitled to try to fix it first. On the other hand, if you reported a defect to the company during the warranty period and the product wasn't fixed properly, the company must correct the problem, even if your warranty expires before the product is fixed.

·
Administrator
19,530 Posts
A defect documented prior to expiration of factory warranty period must be repaired under warranty regardless of the warranty period expiration.
The problem here, I think, is that the dealer "repaired" it and submitted the warranty claim. The fact that they did not correctly repair it becomes their responsibility. So MV considers this a dealer repair error and no longer a warranty defect.
The dealer tried to fix it again without success (no doubt at his expense), and he does not want to lose any more money. So they are blowing you off!!
Stand firm.
Suggest they fix their "comeback" or find the actual reason they haven't fixed it yet (the root cause and original defect) and go back to MV with a claim for the true defect they have missed in 3 attempts.
You have a documented oil leak (which constitutes a "safety hazard") that began while under warranty and documented unsuccessful attempts to repair it by the dealer.
Stand firm.

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Sawbones, I have successfully used the Lemon Law, albeit on a Hummer H2, you can certainly go that route in Philly...they are pretty consumer friendly I would imagine. There are any number of resources for that. FBF is reputable, I believe, and given some pressure will probably go the extra mile to avoid bad publicity.

Check with your state's Consumer Affairs rep. and the Attorney General.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all of your suggestions:

From the service department at FBF:

Hello Sean,
We will have to Diagnose were the oil is coming from first, but since you would like to ride the bike this weekend we can not do that ( per our phone conversation you requested to change oil filter and clutch brake fluids)
First we will have to confirm if the oil is leaking from the same place. Once we do that I would be more than happy to forward this article to MvAgusta.
My goal is to satisfy you as a valued costumer of ours.

They are assuming no responsibility at all!! My bike sat in their shop for almost 2 months last summer while they were attempting to fix the leak...

How will I know if they are being honest with me about the oil leak source? Regardless, this bike has leaked oil from day 1 and it has not been fixed correctly. Even if the source is a different spot (if they claim it to be so) I believe they should fix it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts