MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ANYTIME SOMEBODY TOUCHES YOUR HUB PINCH BOLTS CHECK THEIR WORK WITH YOUR TORQUE WRENCH......

last week one of the English Members on the Forum had his tires changed.....

he checked the torque......over 100lbft/133 Nm:wtf:

he bought new hub bearings from me

I just bought a complete swing arm...

it took a 1/2" air impact to get the left pinch bolt out..
the right was partially stripped......a SnapOn impact driver finished stripping it:wtf:......I was holding the impact driver with Channel Locks
so I wouldn't crush my hand if I missed, yes I was wailing on it with a brass hammer

day 2.... slotted the head down to the flange with an angle head grinder, cut the threads off a 12mm bolt and tapered it to fit
TIG welded both sides of the slot and all the way around the head

1/2" to 3/8" adapter on a 2' breaker bar, 21mm socket, the swing arm is clamped to my 3/4" reinforced steel jig table.....it's not going any where....I'm ~178lbs, I'm on one foot.....lets say I put 125 lbs on the bar, it felt like the adapter was letting go thats 250 lbft/338Nm:wtf:

don't have the correct size 1/2" drive socket, got one from Mom's
house

I use a CP-734H it puts out 425 lbft, set ~35% the wheel nut takes 3-4 hits.......this took 8-10....so it was way, way over 240Nm

the bottom side of the head was stripped of plating and grooved by the alloy swingarm:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

I use 15lbft/20Nm......you use what you want....I worked in the Engineering Dept of HiShear Corp, an aerospace fastener company

I've sold 100's of hub bearing with ZERO reported failures

if you're smart you'll get a Mitch hub.......and torque it to 15lbft/20Nm......what, its going to move?????

·
Registered
264 Posts
Damn good reason to do all your own work and follow torque specs religiously. I've seen guys using click-type torque wrenches as ratchets just because they couldn't find a real ratchet! Guess who never borrows tools after seeing that?

Eric

·
Vendor
5,336 Posts
Shit Noel thats incrediable,I must say the threads are good in the swingarm to take that sort of torque.Imagine the poor 3810 hub bearing it must of felt like it was being choked to death.:jsm:

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Kinda worrying ...Mechanics isn't everybody's cup of Earl Grey...so I feel for those guys who entrust the work to a professional and it isn't done right.

Checking the torque after work is done..:-

This must mean slackening off the pinch bolts again. I would do this evenly as poss in increments ie don't undo one fully and the the other as this will cause an excessive pinch on the still tightened side. Then re torque carefully again evenly in stages.

I don't know how you check the torque of a tightened bolt wiothout undoing it as when we do em up isn't it a dynamic torque and if you are checking with a torque wrench an already set bolt aren't you then measuring static torque ..a diifferent baby. So it isn't simply a matter of setting the correct torque on your wrench and then seeing where it clicks.

I guess one way would be to mark the bolt and swing arm with a reference datum and then do the loosening and re-torquing procedure. Then you could see if there is a large angular difference as a before and after.

If the bolts were over torqued then for peace of mind the 2rs ball bearing wheel side should be replaced..? That's how I see it .

Clearly the pinch bolts Noel is talking about are off the scale

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Noel that's pretty scary stuff, I do all my own spannering, have done for many years because of experience and tales like this. I agree with Joe, mechanics is not for everyone, but simple stuff like chain adjustment and wheel removal is very basic stuff.
If a new owner can't get to grips with this simple stuff maybe bikes are not for them.

jimboF4

·
Registered
188 Posts
ANYTIME SOMEBODY TOUCHES YOUR HUB PINCH BOLTS CHECK THEIR WORK WITH YOUR TORQUE WRENCH......

last week one of the English Members on the Forum had his tires changed.....

he checked the torque......over 100lbft/133 Nm:wtf:

he bought new hub bearings from me

I just bought a complete swing arm...

it took a 1/2" air impact to get the left pinch bolt out..
the right was partially stripped......a SnapOn impact driver finished stripping it:wtf:......I was holding the impact driver with Channel Locks
so I wouldn't crush my hand if I missed, yes I was wailing on it with a brass hammer

day 2.... slotted the head down to the flange with an angle head grinder, cut the threads off a 12mm bolt and tapered it to fit
TIG welded both sides of the slot and all the way around the head

1/2" to 3/8" adapter on a 2' breaker bar, 21mm socket, the swing arm is clamped to my 3/4" reinforced steel jig table.....it's not going any where....I'm ~178lbs, I'm on one foot.....lets say I put 125 lbs on the bar, it felt like the adapter was letting go thats 250 lbft/338Nm:wtf:

don't have the correct size 1/2" drive socket, got one from Mom's
house

I use a CP-734H it puts out 425 lbft, set ~35% the wheel nut takes 3-4 hits.......this took 8-10....so it was way, way over 240Nm

the bottom side of the head was stripped of plating and grooved by the alloy swingarm:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

I use 15lbft/20Nm......you use what you want....I worked in the Engineering Dept of HiShear Corp, an aerospace fastener company

I've sold 100's of hub bearing with ZERO reported failures

if you're smart you'll get a Mitch hub.......and torque it to 15lbft/20Nm......what, its going to move?????
Same happened to me, had the bike serviced told the dealer not to touch the chain, when i get the bike home the chain was as tight as a guitar string i had to nearly put the breaker bar on the pinch bolts to undo them. Hubb failed 350 miles later....

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Haha Noel. This is sooo bad, I actually find it funny....

But I'm not really surprised. The shit we see come in our shop - it's awesome. You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you.

Sometimes we are basically rolling on the floor in hysteria.....

Young Marines come in telling us they know how to work on bikes because they are helicopter mechanics. That ALWAYS is a big red flag!!!

For some reason, helicopter mechanics are the worst. Don't know why.
All I know, I don't ever want to fly in a military helicopter...:wtf::wtf:

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Haha Noel. This is sooo bad, I actually find it funny....

But I'm not really surprised. The shit we see come in our shop - it's awesome. You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you.

Sometimes we are basically rolling on the floor in hysteria.....

Young Marines come in telling us they know how to work on bikes because they are helicopter mechanics. That ALWAYS is a big red flag!!!

For some reason, helicopter mechanics are the worst. Don't know why.

All I know, I don't ever want to fly in a military helicopter.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Awww come on Balz, you can't tease us like that - you have to tell us some stories. :naughty:

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
and speaking of torque wrenches....I loaned mine to a mate doing some work on his race bike......some arsehole broke in to his shed the other night when he was at work and nicked all his tools (and my wrench):thewife:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Awww come on Balz, you can't tease us like that - you have to tell us some stories. :naughty:
Where do I begin?? How about this just for a start?
Nice footpeg set-up. This bike is at our shop now. You don't even want to see the rest of this Ducati 749....

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Want too see more now Balz,

That looks more than deadly already.

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
I like how he fixed the Loud Dry Clutch issue!

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
?

Balz, anybody, beat this;

a guy brings in a Honda CB350 with a Yamaha TX750 motor in it......
no big deal you say?

he cut the CB down tubes and rear triangle.....and removed the engine and swingarm with the lower frame

then he did the same to the Yamaha.....and set it on blocks, then he maneuvered the CB chassis over the Yamaha engine and lowered the frame

never mind there were 2" gaps in the rear triangle tubes......the front tubes were 4" from meeting

no problem!......he welded 3 pieces of 1/8" x 3/4" strap over each of the gaps:jsm: yes, laid them on and bubble gum stick welded them

he had a very nice oil tank mounted behind the back of the seat......but you should have seen the oil lines:jsm:

the chain was missing rollers and the sprocket teeth tips were so worn the tips had rolled over

the reason he brought it in you ask?????

it wouldn't start:jerkoff:

one of the slides was in backwards in a vacuum carb:naughty:

ever see a tire side wall split open because it was so old and ridden while flat........

and sewn back together?????

ever see disc brake pads worn until the piston goes through the steel of the pad and the piston is on the disc, what's left of the pad is a ring around the piston????:smoking:

more than once:jsm:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Good one Noel!!

Check this out.
This guy in his 50s buys a Ducati 1098 from us. Nice enough but real cooky guy with very apparent ADD, and one of these guys who doesn't have a concept of personal space, you know. He claims to be a medical doctor and I go yeah right, if he's a doctor, then I am Rossi. I google him and sure as shit, he is a doctor. Fuck I hope I won't crash my bike when he is on call!!!

Anyway, about 10 days after he bought the 1098 he calls me totally pissed off and bitchin' that his clutch doesn't work anymore. He screams at me that he almost killed himself because the bike kept going when he pulled the clutch.

Of course I apologize for the problems he is having (I don't really know why we shop people always apologize for problems we didn't cause) and I tell him to trailer the bike in right away so we can take care of this huge safety issue.

Now, I wish I had kept the pictures I took because you won't believe me. You will never guess what was wrong with his bike. The service manager gets me and tells me that I need to see this and the customer is screaming because my service manger told him there is nothing wrong with the bike and he thinks we refuse to service his bike.

The fu*%ing brainiac of a doctor wanted larger grips, so what did he do? He wrapped Ace bandage around the grips until, I shit you not, they were a good 3" in diameter - I could hardly grab on to them. Of course, the clutch lever had barely any travel before it hit the grip and the clutch could not disengage.
I was laughing so hard right in front of the customer when I saw that. I couldn't control myself.

He refused to accept our explanation of the cause of the problem and he took his bike and left all pissed off.

And just imagine that bandage would have come unraveled while riding.

And there was more awesomness on his bike but a save that one for a later time....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts